Sim Racing Expo 2017 - Begins Saturday 16th September

When does the expo close its doors for today and when do you guys return to your place? I can't seen to get ANY news from ANY site. Help me rd, you're my only hope :D

When does the expo close its doors for today and when do you guys return to your place? I can't seen to get ANY news from ANY site. Help me rd, you're my only hope :D
Start following RD on facebook! There is a lot of info posted there!
We will return to the party palace later tonight.

Well day one over and what a day!

Plenty of content on our social media channels and plenty of video and written content to follow either later today or tomorrow time.

Drove the Fanatec DD wheel - very nice. Only managed 3 laps round Spa and enjoyed the experience. Nice build quality (as expected), nice and very clean design. Impressed. Will post interview and impressions later.

Tried Project CARS 2.... again managed only three laps, I was using different equipment than my usual stuff (the Fanatec DD wheel) and had a crowd round me... so this is a very provisional opinion.. not impressed. Visually looks amazing, physics felt pretty much on par with PC1. Seriously couldn't feel a thing about what it was doing. Spoke to some fellow sim racers present and they shared my opinion. I expected more.

Had a go in the new RaceRoom Porsche, again very impressed. Done a talk and drive on that which will be published later on. Very much enjoyed that car, should be a big hit.

Spoke at length on and off camera with Studio 397/rF2. New Bentley as previewed above looks and feels great, but more importantly some very cool looking improvements to rain conditions / windscreen wipers and graphics on the way for the next patch.

Got some stuff lined up for tomorrow, but I'll keep that to myself for now :)

Great weekend so far.

Thank you so much for the feedback! Will smash the pig money box for the Fanatec DD whenever available and say goodbye now to PC2. Any news about possible "Podium" rims?

Start following RD on facebook! There is a lot of info posted there!
We will return to the party palace later tonight.
I do :) Have been following them for a while. Well, i guess i should adjust my expectations about simexpo coverage. All i've seen from people(not just rd) was some photos with the caption "look we did x and y and z, more to follow" and live videos of the crowd, nothing else, no speaking, no live video. I was expecting E3 style live interviews and live drive & talk segments. But alas, this is my first live simexpo following and i've learned my lesson not to expect any live detailed coverage.

Another pic of the Fanatec

21765155_10213759974782843_638634291896646765_n.jpg

Sourced from srp.

Also a video, that made it look a little bit lifeless but thanks to Paul comment above I think they may just be a pc2 thing :)

Sourced from PC Facebook.

Visited the Sim-Racing Expo today and tried out three rigs. The 40k flight simulator thing was awful. The guys setup the FOV of the triples like Nürburgring GP was narrow as a Rally-stage:cry: and couldn´t drive with this crap. The motion was very disturbing as well and didn't like it at all. VR is absolute minimum requirements to get immersed in the first place sitting in this thing with completely different motions than in a car.

The Next-level-Racing seat for 3k i liked a lot more and FOV with VR is finally a non-issue, it just was setup way too exaggerated and so actually unrealistic. It certainly don't make you faster, probably the opposite because pedals and wheel are not moving with you. Also it's not adding valuable information i could think of. I know when i brake, accelerate and drive through corners without getting pushed around;)

The third was a Heusinkveld-Rig without motion, but with a Bodnar-wheel and sadly not with the new H-shifter prototype i could only use without a rig. The Bodnar was good, but not as good as my Accuforce. The dampening killed some details i get with my wheel.

I couldn't try out the SimXperience Stage 5, eh, Actroracer and there was another clone i forgot the name. You had to get a ticket in the morning first for appointment.

At the end i didn't get spoiled needing a motion-rig or OSW like i thought before and i'm convinced now that the best rig IMO is at my home. I'm convinced that SimVibe is better than motion by far (with my setup) and i can't drive anymore when there are no vibrations on the pedals when tyres lock up. Four strong shakers around my ass and two for the feet is way more accurate and adding far more information what the tyres are doing. And since my rig is staying on cheap rubber-dampers, not only my neighbors don't want to kill me anymore, the rig is moving. But not slow like a motion rigs. Micro-motions that are as fast as driving over curbs:thumbsup:. And this stuff costed me about 700 Euros:whistling:

Last edited:
Really appreciate hearing @Paul Jeffrey 's honest PCars2 assessment...this is why I have hung around RD consistently for so long - you're not gonna get marketing, you're gonna get opinions of fellow racing/sim enthusiasts who just happen to run a website.

Granted, it sounds like it was a very brief exposure to the game, but I am genuinely disappointed to hear Paul's first impression, as I am really holding out hope PC2 will make a jump ahead of the original.

Tried Project CARS 2.... again managed only three laps, I was using different equipment than my usual stuff (the Fanatec DD wheel) and had a crowd round me... so this is a very provisional opinion.. not impressed. Visually looks amazing, physics felt pretty much on par with PC1. Seriously couldn't feel a thing about what it was doing. Spoke to some fellow sim racers present and they shared my opinion. I expected more.

Amazing isn't it? We get loads of hype from beta testers and those connected with WMD/SMS and they tell you how different and how improved Pcars2 is compared to Pcars1 and when someone not connected tries it the truth comes out. I hope it was because of the setup Paul and the fact that you didn't have much time or a few of us are going to be upset again.
Thanks for telling us though. I will definitely NOT be pre-ordering Pcars 2 and will wait for more honest reviews.

Drove the Fanatec DD wheel - very nice. Only managed 3 laps round Spa and enjoyed the experience. Nice build quality (as expected), nice and very clean design. Impressed.
.../...
Tried Project CARS 2.... again managed only three laps, I was using different equipment than my usual stuff (the Fanatec DD wheel) and had a crowd round me... so this is a very provisional opinion.. not impressed.

So, if I understand you right: you enjoyed the three lap experience with the Fanatec DD wheel (I take it that it was on pCars 2 also), but you were not impressed by pCars 2 ?
Sounds a bit confusing to me...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years