PC1 Sim Discussion Monday - PCARS 1

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS c.jpg
Monday morning blues? No worries, let's talk Project CARS 1!

Next up for the 'Sim Discussion Monday' feature of articles is the very first release from Slightly Mad Studios - Project CARS 1.

Now the intention of these articles is to talk about a particular sim with like minded individuals, discuss how to get the most from the game in terms of performance and satisfaction, share you wheel or game settings, discuss particular likes and dislikes and generally just chat about anything and everything related to the title.

I appreciate discussion about PCARS can often get a little... tasty, so I ask you to please don't get into a silly flame war or throw around trolling comments. We are (mostly) adults here, let us remember that before we type and keep up the generally good behaviour we display in the various comments sections throughout the site.

With Project CARS 2 on its way in a couple of weeks, this should be a nice opportunity to have a look back at the first game after the benefit of time and experience has helped shape our opinions.

Mondays boring? Nope, Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 1 .jpg

• Deleted member 99238

Sorry, this made me laugh so hard that it took some time to reply.
So that is your criterium to call something arcade ?
Did you even read your post again ? Haha.....
"Tracks look like toys".... LMAO....:roflmao:
Maybe my bad English made you laugh, but the environment in the game looks like a cartoon, as in any arcade game. But keep laughing it's useful.

Funny thing, I actually bought my first FFB wheel + pedals (T500) in expectation of PCars, based solely on previews and hype. But then it took a long while to arrive, and I got busy with Stock Car Extreme and Assetto Corsa, waiting for the day when PCars would finally come and.... well, it came, and it disappointed. Couldn't get the FFB to work right, couldn't get the driving feel.

The end result is:
- 39 hours logged in Dirt/Grid titles;
- 59 hours in Codies' F1 Series;
- 59 hours in Assetto Corsa;
- 88 hours in Automobilista and associated titles (GSCE, Ftruck)*

and.... 20 hours in PCars. For all its hype, PCars couldn't even replace Dirt/Grid, which I play solely as a laidback fun racing game, often on an Xbox controller rather than my sim gear. I suppose it did me some good by making me discover Automobilista, my current favorite racing sim, and my favorite ever since Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2.

So, yea, I don't reckon I'm going to be buying PCars2 unless the community reaction is vastly improved over the original game, especially regarding FFB and driving feel. Even then, I'm not going to be in a rush.. maybe get it in a steam winter sale late next year?

*btw: bought and tested rFactor 2, really, REALLY couldn't get into it. only 3 hours logged. AMS just seems so much better in every way.

I wish we can discuss one topic without some really ugly words and offending each other - something we see clearly on last few pages. :speechless:
Maybe we can form another sister site, where you can only be nice and, imagine that, respect each other point of view ? Crazy, I know.
Hey, at least I got a name for it... we'll call it "UtopiaDepartment", oh well... :unsure:

Mod edit.

If this site hold anything to his reputation and if dear moderators really do their jobs... I expect some penalties here.
Actually... is there any penalties system here at all ? I never saw any...

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I went the PC route i'd here about these games like AMS and RFactor and they were held up as examples of why the console crowd don't understand racing games.....
Then i switched to PC and own all the available titles and as good as RFactor 2 is, no one can tell me every track and all the cars are perfect! Some are simply broken.
Some of the PC guys simply don't like consoles having access to 'their' games, if PCars was a PC only title i can imagine the reaction would be vastly different.

Here's the thing people, Objective Fact, going by dictionary descriptions PCars IS a simulation. Like it and lump it, some of you can spout nonsense all you like but that is Fact.

You can dislike:
how it simulates
the FFB
the graphics
the sound
the boss...whatever.

Everything listed above is subjective Opinion. Just as anything positive is subjective Opinion. Non of that has any bearing on it being a Simulation. FFB is Not reality, it's how the game conveys to the player via a "Gaming" device what is happening. A game can have crap FFB and Still be a simulation. Once people get a grip of the above realities maybe we can move on from the pettiness and snidey bull that this site is quite notorious for on the subject of PCars.

oh and Gamer 19 look up Metallica songs and there is Damage Inc....It's a song. Previous chap was a snidey *bleep* so I replied in kind.

Edited to replace caps....just in my head was emphasising the points but of course caps is shouting. Post was a lot calmer in my head than how it was read.

Last edited:
I know "it's a song". I'm probably bigger fan than you are.
I just use similarity with your behaviour, you know... Mod edit.
On the other hand...
your text is full of word "opinion" (just that you say it like shouting, you know, with capitals,.. um, ok) and yet you don't respect other's (opinion). You acting like someone who's just recently on www forums, I know... used to be there... you just have to accept that there's so many souls on this planet and at least one thousand will stumble on RD, and at least one of them would have different opinion than your.
Think about that next time you use "condom" and "daddy" in same sentence, please.
And I'm not saying that you're sole responsible for all bad things said here, but you really put that last nail into serious talk coffin.

He is, but for me i've been playing computer racing games since the Amiga days and Geoff Crammonds F1 all the way through PS1 dreamcast PS2 XBOX, 360 and ONE and now a PC and for me it was PCars that really truly got me well hooked to the point of investing in proper

It's not a community, its a microcosm of the world as a whole, tribal, divided and has loads of normal people just getting on with it but then a vocal bunch who make it all look so nasty and petty.
PCars really shone a light on this as you had literally for the very same game people fighting over it, for example if you went onto the xbox part of the official PCars forum to highlight a bug or an issue you were rounded on by PC guys telling you that "you should of got a PC...." Like that was the problem, the problem wasn't that SMS made a game FOR the xbox with bugs but that you didn't own a PC....
Normally your used to the "well X is better than Y" stuff, but PCars divided its own paying customers PS4 / XBOX / PC....
It was a nasty place to be at times and it carried into the AC forums as well with PC guys simply slagging off console players for purchasing the same game they were playing but on console.
Worst was the fact by slagging off the console versions they were actually slagging off Kunos! But they were too thick to realize that..
If there were an award for comment of the year this would get it :)

i was in this game at the dev stage and after months of trying gave up, i managed to get a full refund before it was released, IMOA it looks the best and plays the worst, and now PCars 2 in coming out bless em, good money if they can get it.

I know "it's a song". I'm probably bigger fan than you are.
I just use similarity with your behaviour, you know... Mod edit.
On the other hand...
your text is full of word "opinion" (just that you say it like shouting, you know, with capitals,.. um, ok) and yet you don't respect other's (opinion). You acting like someone who's just recently on www forums, I know... used to be there... you just have to accept that there's so many souls on this planet and at least one thousand will stumble on RD, and at least one of them would have different opinion than your.
Think about that next time you use "condom" and "daddy" in same sentence, please.
And I'm not saying that you're sole responsible for all bad things said here, but you really put that last nail into serious talk coffin.

Yeah you could well be a bigger fan than me I'm not a huge fan of the stuff post ...AJFA.

The reason why I capitalised "opinion" was because people state those things as factual reasons why the game is not a sim. Which IS nonsense. I'm not saying people cannot have those opinions, they can. Sod all anyone can do about someones opinions. But I read this thread and the utter nonsense spouted and feel the need to educate some people about subjective opinions and objective facts (which it's clear many have that problem).

Oh and next time someone is narky etc in reply to one of my posts I WILL reply in kind. I do not walk on eggshells around people. I'm very blunt and I'm sure many will replace that term with a similarly sounding word to describe me. I could not care less, I just deal in facts.

oh and Gamer 19 look up Metallica songs and there is Damage Inc....It's a SONG. Previous chap was a snidey *bleep* so I replied in kind.

If that was directed at me , good job yet another example of personal abuse, thats twice in two posts, id say mommy is proud.

All because people have differing opinions that yours, welcome to real life son.

If that was directed at me , good job yet another example of personal abuse, thats twice in two posts, id say mommy is proud.

All because people have differing opinions that yours, welcome to real life son.

Just to clarify I have NO problem whatsoever with people having a differing "opinion" to me, as I posted earlier. People can hate or dislike those aspects I listed(and more) to their hearts content. What I take issue with is the blatant misuse of the English language. Pcars IS a simulation, that is undeniable fact.

What is also fact is that the terms simcade/arcade etc in reference to most simulations is purely for derogatory reasons and snobbery/elitism of the worst kind. I just really wish people would stop stooping to those low levels. We all share the same passions, why are so many numpties about it?

Then again some Ferrari fans hate Porsche and vice versa, maybe petty vindictiveness is rife within humanity and the net gives it a stage.

You don't say..........;):D I would never have guessed that my young padawan.:sneaky:

LOL I really can't help it. Got some personal reasoning behind it that I won't bore people with. I'm not all bad, we got a semi bromance going once we found common ground! ;)

Right now I'm playing Pcars again to get ready for the sequel...also been setting up Raceroom custom championships (ADAC 13 and DTM 13 so far) to replace the removed "Experiences". Will probably start a custom GT3 C/ship in AC soon.

But I will unashamedly say I'm really enjoying Pcars. Just done the US endurance race at Sonoma in the Oreca and it was a blast trying not to get held up by the GT3s and GT4s, Only saw 2 instances that made me go "WTF" and that's with Four different classes all fighting for the same bit of tarmac. I then did a WMD US track day race in the RUF Rgt, same track and I could feel the wheel get heavier as the tyres warmed up, I could feel the weight shift from that engine in the rear, in those lovely twisty section of the track. No ai WTF moments in that race. I truly do not get the hatred beyond it being territorial. Fighting hyperbole with more hyperbole doesn't work.

It's not that strange.
I do enjoy Project Cars myself. And not ashamed to say it out loud. Why would I ? :)

Yes FFB isn't the best compared to other games (I got G27) but still... convincing enough for me. I do love all other aspects of the game. Career, graphics, weather changing conditions, day-night transitions, variety of the cars, etc...
And yes the skin choosing is real paint in the *ss, and I really hope they change it in PC2.
Sometimes I don't wish some "ultra realistic sim" but just enjoying doing lap after lap (without worrying of every tiny mistake being punished hard) and just enjoy the feel of being there.

I did many races where I said on the end "wow, that was intense", and I can't remember one instance where I said "damn, the physic for this car is totally screwed up!", and that's good enough for me.

Take my bitcoins and shut up, as they say back there in Russia.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back