SFX - Tactile

Thx great feedback. I will try to experiment with both configurations (1 in each corner of my frame in extension mode and 4 of them placed on my seat / pedals to generate RPM / traction loss) Will report back with my findings. First must find a way to attach these to my rig / pedals / seat :)

Upvote 0
@Mr Latte what would you recommend for someone starting from zero? No tactile setup at all but planning to add to my future SFX when its all done!

For over 2 months I have only been using small exciters on my seat.
To get into tactile, honestly, this is where I would now start, focus on the seat and multichannel exciters.
Its an affordable and easy to install approach.

Later a user can then consider adding larger units for the seat or expanding additional channels to the pedal regions.

Tonight I was working on some effects that highlight the importance of stereo tactile (for me anyways). I have nice new additions that would I belive feel great on a G Seat for "Lateral G" and "Steering Curve"

The effects offer a rather distinctive character in using dual layers to help cancel out frequencies of each layer. This creates a softish floaty bubble feel (hard to explain) with the frequencies being used. I then top this off with a detailed but lighter sensation for the steering curve.

Now, if someone tells me this is not engrossing then really I may give up on trying to create unique effects. Just my findings but for a static seat, it helps give a sense of L/R weight and direction. So I assume on a motion or G based seat it should bring an added character that can be enjoyable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For over 2 months I have only been using small exciters on my seat.
To get into tactile, honestly, this is where I would now start, focus on the seat and multichannel exciters.
Its an affordable and easy to install approach.

Later a user can then consider adding larger units for the seat or expanding additional channels to the pedal regions.

Tonight I was working on some effects that highlight the importance of stereo tactile (for me anyways). I have nice new additions that would I belive feel great on a G Seat for "Lateral G" and "Steering Curve"

The effects offer a rather distinctive character in using dual layers to help cancel out frequencies of each layer. This creates a softish floaty bubble feel (hard to explain) with the frequencies being used. I then top this off with a detailed but lighter sensation for the steering curve.

Now, if someone tells me this is not engrossing then really I may give up on trying to create unique effects. Just my findings but for a static seat, it helps give a sense of L/R weight and direction. So I assume on a motion or G based seat it should bring an added character that can be enjoyable.

For someone with an SFX-100, hoping to get into tactile and starting from zero as @cirris mentioned, is the above still your suggestion @Mr Latte ?

If so, could four exciters do the trick (two on bottom of seat, two on back)? What would the complete shopping list consist of?

I was thinking four Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciters as well as one Behringer EPQ304 4-Channel Power Amp unless a normal, high-quality amplifier would work just as well (I have an ATI amp collecting dust, which is a very reputable brand in the audio enthusiast world).

Are there better options out there now? Am I missing anything? Thanks for the help!

Edit: Also curious to hear any updates from @anton_Chez about the combo of tactile and SFX-100

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What you mentioned is basically what he normally recommends to start out with. Although I'd suggest going with the 40W units as opposed to the smaller ones, they are much more powerful for only a tiny bit more cost and power requirement.

I've been running pretty much what I have been for a while now. 2 x BK Mini's and 6 exciters, a mix of the 40W and the smaller version you listed. It works well. I cheaped out on the amps because I already had 2 x SMSL 160W ones from previous units. I'm running the exciters in parallel I think, which ever one it is that makes the ohms go UP not down. Anyway 6 units are connected to the one 2 channel amp and the Mini's are connected to the other amp. Plenty of power for the exciters, just not the perfect impedance. They've been fine for ages. @Chipless

Upvote 0
What you mentioned is basically what he normally recommends to start out with. Although I'd suggest going with the 40W units as opposed to the smaller ones, they are much more powerful for only a tiny bit more cost and power requirement.

I've been running pretty much what I have been for a while now. 2 x BK Mini's and 6 exciters, a mix of the 40W and the smaller version you listed. It works well. I cheaped out on the amps because I already had 2 x SMSL 160W ones from previous units. I'm running the exciters in parallel I think, which ever one it is that makes the ohms go UP not down. Anyway 6 units are connected to the one 2 channel amp and the Mini's are connected to the other amp. Plenty of power for the exciters, just not the perfect impedance. They've been fine for ages. @Chipless

Thank you so much for the response. Which effect/s do you have mapped to the transducers? Do you find that it synergizes well with the SFX-100?

Also, aren't the ones I linked the 40W ones? Which ones are the larger ones you are referring to?

Upvote 0
Sorry, you are correct. Those are the ones I'd recommend. I didn't go into the link, for some reason I thought they were the smaller 20W ones. I think they're 20W anyway.

I only use engine vibes and a tiny bit of gear shift. That's it. Everything else is either motion or static if I'm not running it. @Chipless

Upvote 0
While I certainly didn't quit on effects exploration and the potential with what Simhub brings or offers. Adding new possibilities, with the ability to use more channels or combine large BK with exciters or TST units.

I gave up on this thread long ago guys...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Finally getting around to adding tactile to my SFX rig

Initial test using aura(x1) under the seat frame effect slip or lock using simhub, is that the effect feels very canned "like an 80/90's audience being dubbed over a tv programme"

Time to tweak the placement on the rig and simhub settings :)

Available tactile list
  • aura(x4)
  • dayton puck(x2)

Effects missing from SFX that i want to add
  • slip
  • lock
  • road texture

Dayton pucks
  • in the seat

Aura
  • under the seat
  • under the pedals

Upvote 0
"Initial test using aura(x1) under the seat frame effect slip or lock using simhub, is that the effect feels very canned "like an 80/90's audience being dubbed over a tv programme"

GREAT metaphor!

(Insert laugh track here)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back