Tracks Ring Djursland (LIDAR)

Just putting it up here as a WIP-thread, hopefully to add a little extra pressure on myself to get even more motivated :whistling:

I started this track because I needed a small enough project to get from A to Z in trackbuilding, as I had to put a very large project on hold (Bellahoej Park, street track) almost 2 years ago.
Getting back into 3D, LIDAR etc has once again been a fun and learning experience, I feel much more comfortable in doing daily 3D work than before, knowing what to look for and who to ask if I get stuck.

So, Ring Djursland, Denmark: never been there irl, but after driving the layout, I realize the potential of fun it has for such a small track (only 1750 meters). It's like a mini US-track, with some steep elevations that really tests brakes and setting up for each straight.

This layout is, obviously as stated already, based on LIDAR data and is certainly by far the most accurate version ever to date being made. Of cause it is scratchmade too (race07 and rF mods exists).

Current state (Mar 6th,2018) screen from AC editor:
ring_dj2_tberg.jpg

Project began mid-January 2018, this is the first layout test from Feb 12th.:

Last edited:
We raced this track in rF1 a few weeks ago. Great track. So I'm really excited about the prospect of trying it in AC. What car did you drive in the vid?

Layout looks great for smaller cars!Good luck with it.

Thanks! Actually they run some pretty fast cars on it too, similar to the C7R. With a big grid, yeah this track surely brings some great closeracing, for most GT and smaller openwheel classes.

We raced this track in rF1 a few weeks ago. Great track. So I'm really excited about the prospect of trying it in AC. What car did you drive in the vid?

Hopefully it'll be a much better experience driving this iteration :D
Yeah, it's the C7R in the vid, a favorite of mine, not only because fellow dane Jan Magnussen drives it. I love it in AC, it's brutal but very consistent and reliable in the way it drives. Use it almost for any tracktest I do, so I have a good sense of all Kunos tracks with this car and can compare to my build.

Done with the track and area surrounding it, also beginning with texture work on the diffuse. A "small" big day for me, as this is a stage I've never been at in trackbuilding, considering my earlier project. It's been 2 months with LIDAR editing, retopology, getting back into 3D in Blender, texture work etc, and I'll honestly say that the beginning is the tedious part for me. I look so much forward to begin modelling some track objects for this project. Long way to go still though :)
ring_dj2_tberg.jpg

Awesome work so far mate :)
Interesting layout... for some reason it reminds me a little of Barcelona.

If you haven't heard of it yet... check out SASPlanet...
Depending on the area, and satellite coverage...you can get some extremely high resolution satellite images.
With an area as small as your track covers (no offence meant haha)
Don't be afraid to go really really high res on your diffuse, at least when lining buildings etc up.

Good luck getting it finished and released on here :thumbsup:

Awesome work so far mate :)
Interesting layout... for some reason it reminds me a little of Barcelona.

If you haven't heard of it yet... check out SASPlanet...
Depending on the area, and satellite coverage...you can get some extremely high resolution satellite images.
With an area as small as your track covers (no offence meant haha)
Don't be afraid to go really really high res on your diffuse, at least when lining buildings etc up.

Good luck getting it finished and released on here :thumbsup:

The trackdiffuse is danish sat image combined with the LIDAR data available, doesn't come much sharper. I haven't used a hi-res image yet for the surroundings, as I'd have to sit an stich it together which is low priority. Right now I'm working on the lines, markings and barriers around the track, basically everything close to the car when driving. The modelling is easy, but the texturing is pain as it looks in one way in Blender, another in kseditor and finally a third way when sitting on track in AC in VR going "That doesn't look right?". Tedious workflow :p
Actually, it's annoying that kseditor and ingame looks different, though using same filter, you guys have the same experience?

Yeah tell me about it, looking different doesn't make things easy.
Trees are particularly tricky to setup right, shader wise.
Tedious workflow.... I think you know I've experience tedious on a grand scale lol :D

Oh yeah the kseditor certainly does things in a strange way... But it is what it is...
At least it's there for modders to use, it would be far more complicated procedure without it.

Got to also love the export from Blender/Max, import to kseditor, export from kseditor... test in game process... The import into kseditor is a real challenge with a huge track... Also think about how you want to split your various elements into separate kn5's

Yeah tell me about it, looking different doesn't make things easy.
Trees are particularly tricky to setup right, shader wise.
Tedious workflow.... I think you know I've experience tedious on a grand scale lol :D

Oh yeah the kseditor certainly does things in a strange way... But it is what it is...
At least it's there for modders to use, it would be far more complicated procedure without it.

Got to also love the export from Blender/Max, import to kseditor, export from kseditor... test in game process... The import into kseditor is a real challenge with a huge track... Also think about how you want to split your various elements into separate kn5's

I pretty much do it how Lilski taught me to way back, I'm just too busy to do things from A to Z, so I have to start over with some of the how-to each time I pick up any 3D project.

Hi guys,

If not obvious, this trackwork is dead. I got an email asking about the progress, but I dropped AC and modding back in December, I just forgot everything about closing this. It's been 5-6 great years of simracing in AC and trying to learn 3D.
No, ACC is not the reason I dropped the ball, infact I haven't powered up my simrig since December either. If any interest, I got new hearing-aids, which actually works for playing music and playing instruments, so after years of thinking music was over for me, I'm back to it and VERY happy about it. I now only used the 3D I've learned for 3D printing, so that's a plus :)

Have a great Summer!

Cheers

Hi guys,

If not obvious, this trackwork is dead. I got an email asking about the progress, but I dropped AC and modding back in December, I just forgot everything about closing this. It's been 5-6 great years of simracing in AC and trying to learn 3D.
No, ACC is not the reason I dropped the ball, infact I haven't powered up my simrig since December either. If any interest, I got new hearing-aids, which actually works for playing music and playing instruments, so after years of thinking music was over for me, I'm back to it and VERY happy about it. I now only used the 3D I've learned for 3D printing, so that's a plus :)

Have a great Summer!

Cheers
I've been looking for this track for a while, even thought about building it myself. Would you be willing to share the work that you have done on this so far, so that others could have a try at finishing it?

I've been looking for this track for a while, even thought about building it myself. Would you be willing to share the work that you have done on this so far, so that others could have a try at finishing it?

Not willing to share atm. I'd like to keep my work, as I've come back to projects before. You never know.
I could be interested in collaborate work one day.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back