rFactor 2: Roadmap Update May 2019

Chris

Premium
Le-Mans-1.jpg
Another month rolls on and suddenly we're already (nearly) half way through the year! With that in mind, the team over at Studio397 have released their Roadmap for the month of May, and with it comes
incredible news that, has gone somewhat under the radar. But, here we are to shed some light on this GREAT news for simracing fans!

Summer seems to be in full force already, looking at temperatures here in Europe. Besides it being a good time for ice-cream lovers, it also caters to endurance-enthusiasts, with the iconic races at Le Mans and the Nürburgring coming closer and closer. As if this wouldn’t be enough already to get our racing hearts beat faster, how about some naturally aspirated high revving machinery.

So here-it-is! You probably didn’t see it coming, but yes it’s here. No need for a long dramatic intro. We’re ecstatic to announce Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans otherwise known as “24h Le Mans” is coming to rFactor 2. And the cherry on top, it’s coming much sooner than you think. So you are right to get excited now!

Le-Mans-2.jpg

As with all of our latest track content, we are pulling out all the stops. The 2018 terrain is modelled with millimetre precision using the latest in laser scan technology. Nothing but the best for this epic track. What other sim to bring out its real potential than rFactor 2 with it’s heritage with endurance multi-class racing.

Bringing this iconic track to life has been a passion of ours since we started, our studio name even includes the record 397 laps achieved in 2010. Officially licensed by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) the 24h Le Mans circuit is over 13.6 km and unique in nature with long sweeping corners and high-speed straights. With the nature of the track also comes a unique race. Le Mans challenges drivers like no other, with 24 hours of hard racing throughout the night and often with difficult weather conditions! rFactor 2 will offer you that challenge – look out for our Road to Le Mans competition coming soon!

We will be releasing more details over the next couple of weeks.

Le-Mans-3.jpg

In Other News!
When it comes to things, features and content we currently work on, we could even fill an entire roadmap just with listing it. This means we are pretty busy with working on our favourite sim to ensure that we see even more great racing this year. We have our teams working on the UI, Competition system, updated shaders as well as new cars and of course the Nürburgring/Nordschleife. Progress can be seen everywhere right now which makes us proud every day, but there is still a lot of work up ahead to bring everything your way. But we are on it! Let's get into details for some of the topics.

Competition
With Le Mans on the way, we’re looking forward to bringing an updated competition format for you all to take part in. Details will be posted shortly!! Additionally, you may have seen that McLaren Shadow will be back for another season, so brush off your wheel and get ready to enter into this fantastic competition which we are proud to support!

New UI
The UI itself we are still very busy under the hood, working on optimisations and fixing bugs that arise as part of the new features being integrated. One big feature we can now announce is the Launcher as you now know it, a separate application sitting on your desktop will now have all of it’s features fused into the in-game UI. This means no extra interface to deal with, it’s an all in one unified UI experience, as it should be! And of course we by now also implemented more details in the in-game matchmaker, and one request we often get is the ability to filter AI vs real life humans in the server list. It’s important to know who’s a bot and who’s not! This is working now, and will be released as part of the new UI.

Enjoy the summer, we’ll be back with more news soon!

Join us on the Forum!
For more from the world of rFactor 2, head over to the rF2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today! If racing against others in a clean environment floats your boat, then we can help you with that too... get yourself over to the rF2 Racing Club page, have a look what's on offer and sign up to race with us!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

A month... :D

I know it's a joke but time and time and time and time and time again, we're seeing the same concerns raised by an overwhelming majority of the playerbase and they don't do anything..

It is quite clear they do not have the resources available to investigate these issues, otherwise they would communicate with there fanbase to say that it is on the horizon..

Ask @suspectmonkey for his settings. He has a csl elite and seems to be pretty happy about how rF2 feels :)
Can you note down all settings with a specific car? Maybe I can spot something already, having a csw it's at least the same settings available.
I actually used your guide that you posted up a while ago and it has helped :)
But its not really a specific car but more of a general feel. The S397 cars do feel a lot better. I can PM you my controller.json file and perhaps you can have a look at what might be wrong

I know it's a joke but time and time and time and time and time again, we're seeing the same concerns raised by an overwhelming majority of the playerbase and they don't do anything..

It is quite clear they do not have the resources available to investigate these issues, otherwise they would communicate with there fanbase to say that it is on the horizon..

They don't do anything? You think working on a buggy software and completely change/improve it comes from night to day? There are things that need to be done carefully, and that takes time! The wait is killing me also, but i'm one of those who prefer to have a completely bug free updates instead of a rushed thing to make people complaint all over again...

Let's be patient...

I actually used your guide that you posted up a while ago and it has helped :)
But its not really a specific car but more of a general feel. The S397 cars do feel a lot better. I can PM you my controller.json file and perhaps you can have a look at what might be wrong
Yep, send it over :)
Have to say I basically only drive the s397 cars as they feel indeed a lot better than most of the rest.
The front end feel with the gt3s and endurance cars is just awesome. The more you brake the heavier the wheel becomes. It's pretty pronounced, maybe a bit squishy even regarding tyre feel and flex etc.
Acc is a lot stiffer overall, which felt strange at first but now I love that too.
AC and raceroom are fine but totally lack the rawness of acc or the progressive feel of rF2.

Anyway, I'd say create another thread and I'll have a look at your file:)

They don't do anything? You think working on a buggy software and completely change/improve it comes from night to day? There are things that need to be done carefully, and that takes time! The wait is killing me also, but i'm one of those who prefer to have a completely bug free updates instead of a rushed thing to make people complaint all over again...

Let's be patient...
Patience? You do realise the UI was announced in October 2017, right? It was also close to a 'beta' release towards the end of that year? We're now halfway to 2020... and the UI isn't even available.

Secondly, you talk about content not being rushed, but have you played the GT3 DLC? Just look at the Merc in comparison to the other cars.. The AI turn the steering wheel 360 degrees for small corners and it slides and crashes on every track. They don't care about AI..

Patience? You do realise the UI was announced in October 2017, right? It was also close to a 'beta' release towards the end of that year? We're now halfway to 2020... and the UI isn't even available.

Secondly, you talk about content not being rushed, but have you played the GT3 DLC? Just look at the Merc in comparison to the other cars.. The AI turn the steering wheel 360 degrees for small corners and it slides and crashes on every track. They don't care about AI..

They're a small group and work a lot, no doubt about that! They're talented and they're bringing rF2 to life again, i thank them for that! Of course there are things to fix and they'll be fixed, but rome wasn't built in one day and they have A LOT to think about and work on! ISI left us an amazing base but full of bugs with a bad design and S397 are bringing it to nowadays standards. If it takes too long? I don't f**** care! I want rF2 alive and kicking for some more years so it doesn't matter if i need to wait more half a year for example. Meanwhile we still can enjoy it, we're not here talking about an unreleased title!

The Shadow Project will come with some news content for RF2 ?
The saison 1 give us M23, MP4/8 and MP4/13.
After seeing the trailer I think we will have a MCL34, but for other ? We can see a 720S ingame (serial, not GT3), a Senna but in real footage... A concept formula car (I think we can have this in game, they show us just after the F1). Any idea ?
Shadow project supported by forza, iracing,real racing 3 and rfactor 2.
That fantasy f1 car and others are from those games.
I hope this year they use some modern f1 cars for mclaren shadows finals (fingers_crossed)

Last edited:
an obvious choice for the best endurance simu of walking!
I hope to see the announcement of SPA soon!

release system competition>shader cockpit/tracks>other series (old & modern)/a real clutch/better sounds/cloud & smoke!
and I'm happy (for now!)

Nothing wrong with PC2 engine. It's my #2 sim, after RF2. The feeling of driving is fantastic, but you need to use the modified FFB config available in the download section.

I suspect most folks just regurgitate what had been said about PC2, without ever spending the time to set it up properly.

Thanks, yes. I already own the Detroit and also the LMP1 stuff you linked. The Detroit is really well and fun to drive, but if possible I would buy the original one if S397 can provide it. Its also important for balancing issues and patches later on if this comes from one provider.

But as you recommend the Detroit is worth buying it. PX...well would need some more polishing for my point of view.

It's a pretty good mod, but I don't think you'll see the Ford in RF2 under the S397 banner. The reason why it was done this way (and I was just reading between the lines at the time on the release notes). URD helped a little with modelling the GTE and prototype cars for RF2.

The Ford was worked on by the team but the impression I got was the licence couldn't be obtained so that's why URD released it as one of their own under one of it's "no-name" brands. So rather than no car at all at least we had something :)

I agree though I love racing with the PX mod it just needs a good update, there were various FB posts some time ago from the URD team that they were working on updates (and there was a preview of a new LMPH car) so hopefully they will surface soon. I suppose the issue they have is S397 keep changing the sim and any modding team (not just URD) keep having to play catch up all the time. Surface shaders and tyre models being the main ones I guess.

Back on subject though, this is great news though, an official Le Mans track will be brilliant. Looking forward to it and the screenshots look amazing :)

Nothing wrong with PC2 engine. It's my #2 sim, after RF2. The feeling of driving is fantastic, but you need to use the modified FFB config available in the download section.

I suspect most folks just regurgitate what had been said about PC2, without ever spending the time to set it up properly.
Ive got near 300 hours in pC2 (trying to love it but failed) and sure hope Reiza dont use much of what pC2 is ! I love AMS but fear it becoming project Reiza Cars 3 :cautious:

It's great that official Le Mans is coming. It's just kinda unfortunate that it will apparently be coming right after this year's Le Mans season ends :( But I mean...at least there will be a laserscanned Le Mans for next year.

The new UI was mentioned in October 2017's roadmap for the first time.

https://www.studio-397.com/2017/10/roadmap-update-october-2017/

Approaching 2 years now.

Well, at least the old UI is still working, which can't be said for the many useful plugins that stopped functioning with the move to DX11 year and a half ago :( I mean the game as it is now doesn't even have something as basic (and badly needed, given the wide variety and inconsistencies between the cars, even the official ones, and with so many people apparently not being able to set their FFB properly) as an FFB levels meter, not without using third party workarounds.
Or an actual usable track map.
The new HUD system is even mentioned in that very same road map as coming "next year". I don't remember the last time I've seen it mentioned. I'm hoping it just means it's part of the new UI, but who knows.

The new UI was mentioned in October 2017's roadmap for the first time.

https://www.studio-397.com/2017/10/roadmap-update-october-2017/

Going by the time it's taking to develop, it's going to be massively impressive, even more immersive than the driving, I assume.

Approaching 2 years now. Really ridiculous.
@Oldzeb care to elaborate what you disagree with? It's black and white facts, straight from the horse's mouth. It's not an opinion.

I'm not a fanboy of any game, and of any sims, rF2 has almost as many hours on my Steam account as all the other racing games/sims combined - and that's from Feb 2016 when I moved to Steam, not even counting the bulk of the time when I really played it a lot, i.e. 2012-2016 - but this UI tease has been going on so long that it's been semi-forgotten.

And if you disagree with what I said regarding the menu being more immersive than the actual racing, well...
sarcasm_detector.jpg

Shadow project supported by forza, iracing,real racing 3 and rfactor 2.
That fantasy f1 car and others are from those games.
I hope this year they use some modern f1 cars for mclaren shoadws finals (fingers_crossed)
Rf2 can simulate only 1 engine. So no mondern f1 cars.
Actuelly... :p
Seriously, I hope we'll know soon which cars comming for RF2 in shadow project (I really liked those of season 1) :rolleyes:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.9%