rF2 New UI Security Update

Misc rF2 New UI Security Update 8u345 Red Hat

Login or Register an account to download this content
Jach submitted a new resource:

rF2 New UI Security Update - Don't ask me why, ask S397

We all know that rF2's new UI is buggy, but how many bugs are caused by S397 themselves?
We don't know, because if you take a look at rF2 files, you will find that for the new UI of rF2, S397 are still using Java Runtime Environment ("JRE") 8 update 111, released in October 2016, and was due to expire in January 2017. According to Oracle's website, more than 1600 bugs of Java have been fixed since 8u111.
For developers who are still updating their game until recently, it is beyond my...

Read more about this resource...

Ok... wAaaaait !
I work in IT... " You did whoT ? "
You took a Java Development Kit from a Linux RPM and dropped it into a Windoz game Java RunTime Environment folder ? :confused:
You have bigger stones than I do. :notworthy:
First, even from a reputable gaming site, I would not install an unknown, modified... foreign JRE on any machine.
Here is what I did :
From the Oracle website, I downloaded and installed the latest OffLine JRE in it's default Program Files folder.
Then used a Compare tool to check the difference between rF2's original JRE folder and the new install.
Naturally, they differ quite a lot.
Did the same between your archive and the original and between your archive and the new install... hundreds of diffs everywhere... tcho that !
So I renamed the game's original JRE folder, created a new one and copied the Bin and Lib folder from the new JRE install.
Started rF2... it farted.
Comparing the old with the new, I added a few files at a time until rF2 started.
Then removed the first ones I had added until I got to the culprit : msvcr100.dll which is a Microsoft Visual C Runtime.
Your update has that file. It has the latest, V.325. It is newer than the original rF2 file. Looked at the one installed on the PC, my gamer is a Win 7 box so in \Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll
Bang same as yours, copied it in the rF2 JRE folder and voilà !
Updated, working, rF2 JRE.
Your millage may vary but the roadmap I detailed here is a secure way to do it... no offense dude.
---
**** EDIT ****
SEE FOLLOWING TWO POST
Because I did not test with the v.325 in place... :poop:
**** EDIT ****
---
Java Downloads for All Operating Systems
Recommended Version 8 Update 341
Release date: July 19, 2022 (as of...)
java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
---
Compare_rF2_JRE.jpg

Last edited:
It went like this :
After the first swap, trying to start rF2 with the new JRE, it didn't work because of the missing msvcr100 dll.
rF2 did start after copying the original file back in the BIN folder of the new JRE.
After that, I verified if the, OP, Jach's msvcr100 was the original one or a newer one... the properties showed it was v.325 while the original on was v.1.
I had copied the one already in my Win7 install and posted my first message... I did not test again to see if rF2 started with that newer dll... I assumed.
Flat on my face... (-‸ლ)
A little later that evening I started rF2 up to practice for an upcoming league event... FART !
Whence this second post.
Right away, I tried it with the original msvcr100 and rF2 started normally.
MSvcr100.dll is an Microsoft file, not a Java file... what could it be?
Msvc 2010 is available everywhere but it's always the v.10.0.40219.325.
I have an older version on disk but it's way older... useless :
Vcredist-2010_10.0.30319_x64.exe
LoL ! Were there releases between and 10.0.40219.1 and 10.0.40219.325?
---
Recap :
A copy of the "bin" and of the "lib" folder from a fresh install of a Java runtime, like "jre-8u341-windows-x64.exe", into a JRE folder under ...\rFactor 2\Bin64\ and then adding to it the original rF2 msvcr100.dll does work.
That is why I always argue against deleting files or folders when modifying stuff. It's a thousand times better to just rename things. For this here, I just renamed the original JRE folder to "JRE - ORG".
I do the same for all files when I modify things... I never get caught out. I can always put the original back in:
1664400514430.png

" That was a hoot ! " -- Heffer Wolfe

P. -S. Backup that new JRE folder as the next time you have to do a "File Integrity Check"... Kansas will go byebye.

Last edited:
It went like this :
After the first swap, trying to start rF2 with the new JRE, it didn't work because of the missing msvcr100 dll.
rF2 did start after copying the original file back in the BIN folder of the new JRE.
After that, I verified if the, OP, Jach's msvcr100 was the original one or a newer one... the properties showed it was v.325 while the original on was v.1.
I had copied the one already in my Win7 install and posted my first message... I did not test again to see if rF2 started with that newer dll... I assumed.
Flat on my face... (-‸ლ)
A little later that evening I started rF2 up to practice for an upcoming league event... FART !
Whence this second post.
Right away, I tried it with the original msvcr100 and rF2 started normally.
MSvcr100.dll is an Microsoft file, not a Java file... what could it be?
Msvc 2010 is available everywhere but it's always the v.10.0.40219.325.
I have an older version on disk but it's way older... useless :
Vcredist-2010_10.0.30319_x64.exe
LoL ! Were there releases between and 10.0.40219.1 and 10.0.40219.325?
---
Recap :
A copy of the "bin" and of the "lib" folder from a fresh install of a Java runtime, like "jre-8u341-windows-x64.exe", into a JRE folder under ...\rFactor 2\Bin64\ and then adding to it the original rF2 msvcr100.dll does work.
That is why I always argue against deleting files or folders when modifying stuff. It's a thousand times better to just rename things. For this here, I just renamed the original JRE folder to "JRE - ORG".
I do the same for all files when I modify things... I never get caught out. I can always put the original back in:
View attachment 603902

" That was a hoot ! " -- Heffer Wolfe

P. -S. Backup that new JRE folder as the next time you have to do a "File Integrity Check"... Kansas will go byebye.
Thanks. I see you point so I just need to add "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" because I don't really care if it works on others' PC:roflmao:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 60 88.2%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 21 30.9%