Review: Samsung 49" Super UltraWide Monitor (C49HG90)

I made two tweaks to my set-up that simply have me grinning uncontrollably when I'm racing.

One tweak is to my rig where I've semi enclosed it. I have black foam core panels above me and behind my monitors. I also am draping cloth on the open side of my rig (the other side is against a wall). When I pull myself forward into racing position, I now see no ambient light in my periphery. All's I have is that glorious expanse of uninterrupted screen goodness.
Bingo!
I've been waiting to see who the first person would be to enact this.
Light-leaks are something we absolutely work to avoid in simulation.
Every single one of our simulators world-wide uses a heavy fabric in the mirror-chamber to cover openings, thereby blocking light leaks to the inside of the cockpit....even the service lights have covers.
It is one of the areas where most simracers would benefit massively...simply by erecting a simple 'canopy' around the monitor.
The level of immersion would go 'through the roof'.
It is one of the main benefits during the switch to VR the some folks overlook.

Anyone thought of the "smaller brother" Samsung 43CJ89 of this 49" beast? It has 1200 rather than 1080 so I think it is 32:10 aspect ration rather than 32:9. and it is cheaper and a bit smaller.

How does this monitor handle games with normal aspect ratios? Run them in windowed mode is one thing that can work ok-ish.

tnx , fov calculator says it should be 38 , but i cant do a single good lap with this setting , so i think 90 - 100 is still the best ;-)

Heh, no worries. Each sim is looking for one or the other. The fov calculator linked you earlier has you select the sim to calculate for. Though it is a key setting, it isn't difficult these days to get to the correct number. Plus, you can play with that number a little. I think i went up a couple from what mine calculated to be.

This looks to be something of a bargain - a 32:9 UltraWide for $800 - Viotek SUW49C Any thoughts? I'm thinking about swapping out my 40" HD TV for an UltraWide , as I'm not super keen on VR. The review here
has some criticisms but basically suggests going for this over the more expensive Samsung equivalent...

I considered this but opted for a Samsung Nu8505 curved 55" 4K HDR TV for the same price ~800€. It does 1440P @ 120hz with 10~20ms of input lag.

I have it 5cm away from the steering wheel, with very high FOV. I think it was a good choice. (who am I kidding. Its awesome!!!)

aQSFKdL.png

No cons. Perhaps the pixel response (ghosting) is not as good as 144hz monitors yet. But with 10-20ms of input lag, you have the same response as most gaming monitors.

No cons. Perhaps the pixel response (ghosting) is not as good as 144hz monitors yet. But with 10-20ms of input lag, you have the same response as most gaming monitors.

I beg to differ. Gaming monitors are more around the 1 ms mark. I will say this though, 10 ms for a tv is pretty darn good.

im not talking about pixel gtg response. Input lag. For instance the fastest monitor is the asus 180hz pg248q at ~1ms of input lag. The sucessor to this monitor however (the 240hz) is 10~20ms! Its safe to say, if your TV does 10~20ms you are golden.

My fastest ever https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime was on this TV at 169ms. It was faster than my 144hz MG278Q that usualy is 170ms and 180ms.

Last edited:
Interesting.. what's the pros and cons of a TV vs a Monitor I wonder?
The con is having a huge screen for desktop programs. You'll always be playing "find the cursor" and become annoyed with precisely moving the cursor from one corner of the screen to the other and having to tilt/move your head to read menus.

On the other hand, it's fantastic for racing immersion!

After weighing the pros and cons of moving from triples I pulled the trigger on the Samsung LC49HG90. I came from triple 1920x1080 56Hz-75Hz monitors bought in 2012. As far as losing FOV - when a car is on my right I do miss it but when a car is on my left it "feels" about the same as it did with triples (this is for left hand drive cars of course). The trade-off is with the bezels out of the way I feel as (or more) immersed then with triples, its cleaner and sharper (being sharper is due to my old monitors but whatever it’s an improvement).

Pros:

No bezels = more immersion (for me at least)

I gained more horsepower so now I can max out the graphics for any sim/game I run

Able to play games I couldn’t before (or to my satisfaction, I like to crank up the graphics)

More Vivid/Sharper colors compared to my old monitors

Less cable clutter

Cons:

Less FOV

Note: I feel this will provide more immersion for any rig setup - black out your surroundings. I used black display board as a hood on my triples (and now on my 49”) to block out the wall and ceiling along with using black poster board to block out my peripheral vision which wasn’t an issue on my triples.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.