Review: Samsung 49" Super UltraWide Monitor (C49HG90)

just got the samsung Cj49 super ultrawide which is the same model except it's advertised as an all rounder not just for gaming it's a lot cheaper and has built in speakers it also has 144hz refresh rate I think itscthe better buy .It's better than I expected !

@ShovasI have no interest in TrackIR. No, I have never tried it but it seems a bit gimicky to me. Plus, I prefer not to have to wear something and employ more software when I drive.
Track IR is awesome for single screen. I even use it on my triple screen setup. The thing is, I don't use it while I'm turning. I have a deadzone set and basically I use it just to look around when I need to look around either up, down, left, or right.

I disabled z, x, y axis as well as roll therefore I only leave yaw and pitch enabled so that basically my Track IR is only setup to make the in-game driver look left/right and up/down. It's great for reading gauges and checking mirrors (especially passenger side and rear view) as those are often not all in view when driving with a 1:1 or similar FOV and seat position especially with 1 monitor but sometimes with triples as well (especially gauges which are often too low and out of view).

Then once I'm done looking, it goes back to center. I don't use it to attack corners.

just got the samsung Cj49 super ultrawide which is the same model except it's advertised as an all rounder not just for gaming it's a lot cheaper and has built in speakers it also has 144hz refresh rate I think itscthe better buy .It's better than I expected !

I will receive the c49j890 tomorrow. Wondering if the ghosting will be a problem on higher refresh rates (it doesn't seem to have the anti blur feature).

Doesn't anyone magage to use this monitor with a higher FOV so both side windows are partially visible? That seems to be the biggest limitation compared to triples.

no ghosting the monitor is as fast as most dedicated gaming monitors and no you cant see both side windows with a proper fov but im loving it its the first thing that has got me out of vr and its far better than my 22 inch tripples

Glad to see some more adopters! I haven't been around much lately so it's cool to see this thread still going. Still loving my 49. One thing I wanted to offer, I purchased Virtual Display Manager which, imo, i found to be the best way to split the monitor into two side by side screens. The thing it does that most other apps don't, or don't do well, is maintain the virtual screen when you maximize an open window including videos such as YouTube vids. Very handy when using the 49 for "normal" computing.

IMG_0595.jpg

Received the c49j. I haven’t noticed any serious ghosting yet. The ideal setup was getting it as close to my wheel as I could. Fov around 41 in acc/rf2 feels natural. Go higher than that and things look out of proportion and stretched.

It’s great to get all the game overlays out of your main view. Massive improvement in immersion coming from a 32” 4k screen. Seeing more of both interior and exterior adds to it. I think this is a keeper!

Sidenote: it is also the perfect screen for role playing and adventure games (and surely RTS as well). Seeing a much wider setting in shadow of the tomb raider is just breathtaking.

I'm tossing up the idea about getting one of these. I currently have a single 27" 1440p screen (Dell S2716DG) and a Oculus Rift but I've never liked the FoV of a single screen when driving the sims that don't support VR (or when I don't feel like wearing the headset). I just bought two more of the 27" screens but they are not going to work properly with my setup; my 1080ti only has two Display Port outputs so I'm locked to 60hz and no G-Sync since the monitors are not hooked up with the same type connection. I also have a 4th monitor on my desk for standard gaming/usage and I now cannot use it unless I unplug my Oculus Rift, so yeah it's turned into quite an annoyance.

Think I'm going to take these two monitors back to Best Buy and then order the 49". Should suit me well enough (I hope).

EDIT: Just returned the two Dell monitors and ordered the Samsung from Amazon. Should arrive tomorrow, hopefully damage free :D

Last edited:
It arrived last night. Got to tinker with the FoV and camera in most of the sims; R3E is the only one that looks correct at the moment.
45217576345_79766fab5b_k.jpg
Some pics of games running when you have got all the correct FOV's would be great. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on this to replace my 40" 4k iiyama so many times but still not convinced. Looks great on your setup which is very similar to mine.

Ok here's some pics of my current FoV in just about all the sims. iRacing, AMS and rF2 I'm really happy with but the others I'm going to adjust further even though they are setup 'accurately' according to this site with my measurements: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/
AC:
31208886257_e1b3474c59_k.jpg

ACC:
45424357914_2fa69e9df7_k.jpg

Automobilista:
44331321920_881033259c_k.jpg

iRacing:
31208887047_d8e9a2595b_k.jpg

rF2:
45424357824_6ffd1d61a5_k.jpg

Raceroom:
46147934181_5efed8c817_k.jpg

Wreckfest :D
46147934271_ef27c146d0_k.jpg

I've since turned the vignetting off. Made a nice difference.

Forgot about Kartkraft but it's hard to get accurate as I like to see the front wheels of the kart for whatever reason.

Great looking monitor, the more I see people with them the more I would like it.
However I want to hold off for the 5120x1440 model with 120Hz (seemingly delayed). Not sure if it will improve on the HDR element but again it's something most reviews said the current model is just okay with but not spectacular.

Going to a higher 1440p based res though is going to demand at least a 2080 or 2080ti type performance. So its quite an investment that for me needs to be weighed up to other hardware possibilities. It may even be best to wait to see what comes after the 2080 series before considering.

The current model with 1080p is, by all means, a lot easier to manage good frames with.

I would have waited for the supposed 1440p version but I have a feeling it will be twice the price or so ($1600ish at least) which is more than I'm willing to spend at the moment for a monitor. Not sure how my 1080ti would run it but so far, minus my heavily modded AC, I'm getting well over 140 fps in most of the main sims on this screen.

I'm happy with 1080p ! 1440p would negate having 144hz without a supercomputer.The current model allows me to run high refresh on my gtx1070

4K is still more demanding than even the 1440p model due.

Although yes indeed what you mention is one aspect always to consider but surely it would also be possible to run the upcoming 1440p model at the 3840x1080p res?

Running at less than the monitors native resolution means the pixels don't align with the resolution so the image quality is reduced .It would work but with reduced image quality.

Running at less than the monitors native resolution means the pixels don't align with the resolution so the image quality is reduced .It would work but with reduced image quality.

Yes I presumed it may be a bit softer but could be dependent on how good the scaling is on the monitor. It seems Asus & MSI still have not released thier own versions of this yet (1080p) and I think that is likely one reason the 1440p model has been held back.

Phillps upcoming 49" 1440p model is expected Q1 but its only 60Hz
Keep in mind guys that these current Samsung models may see a price reduction to help clear stocks in the coming months.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%