Reverse Layouts – A Sheer Resource

I just did the Nordschleife in reverse today, as I mentioned earlier, and it is a fascinating experience. You think you remember the track well enough and will be able to reverse it in your mind, but it keeps catching you off guard, plus obviously a lot of corners and spots have to be approached very differently.

Definitely suggest trying it.

Many years of console racing right back to Lotus Challenge on the Atari has given me a deep hatred for reversed and/or mirrored tracks. I’d much rather have new tracks than a track list bolstered by that crap and having to race the same few tracks in different directions multiple times in the same championship, Forza is especially bad for it.

The whole it’s wrong to drive it in reverse is secondary to me I just hate doing x track forward, shorter ribbon, reverse, reverse long ribbon, over and over just kills the variety for me.

There's no such thing as a "reverse layout."

A reverse layout is simply a different track. A racing track is just a road, there's no such thing as a wrong way (as long as all drivers agree on the same direction :roflmao: ). It literally makes no sense for someone to say that they're against reverse layouts. What if, for example, Suzuka was always run in what we consider the "reverse" direction ever since it was created and never in the "normal" direction? Then so many people today would be saying that running Suzuka in reverse (which is the normal direction we're all used to) would be wrong even though most of us think Suzuka is a brilliant track. .What if someone created a new track and never told you which was the original direction? What are you going to do? Not race on it until someone tells you which direction is the "proper" direction? What if the next day the race organizers changed the "proper" direction? Are you then going to all of a sudden like the "reverse" direction because the race organizer suddenly changed their minds and decided to call the regular direction reverse, and the reverse direction regular?

It's purely psychological. Either direction can be considered "regular" and either direction can be considered "reverse." Anyone who doesn't agree is simply wrong, it's not about opinion. A racing circuit layout is a road with corners and straights, the only reason one direction is considered "normal" and the other "reverse" is because some person just decided to call one direction normal and the other reverse.

There are other factors involved in real-life that we don't really need to deal with in games like how safety barriers, tyre walls, etc. need to be incorporated/changed if running a track in reverse and even some specific types of curbs on some tracks can't really be run in reverse because of the curb teeth's shape/direction. But that's just safety stuff for real-life. In terms of pure racing, there is only direction A and direction B - neither are more right or wrong or proper than the other.

Reactions: Won
There's no such thing as a "reverse layout."

A reverse layout is simply a different track. A racing track is just a road, there's no such thing as a wrong way (as long as all drivers agree on the same direction :roflmao: ). It literally makes no sense for someone to say that they're against reverse layouts. What if, for example, Suzuka was always run in what we consider the "reverse" direction ever since it was created and never in the "normal" direction? Then so many people today would be saying that running Suzuka in reverse (which is the normal direction we're all used to) would be wrong even though most of us think Suzuka is a brilliant track. .What if someone created a new track and never told you which was the original direction? What are you going to do? Not race on it until someone tells you which direction is the "proper" direction? What if the next day the race organizers changed the "proper" direction? Are you then going to all of a sudden like the "reverse" direction because the race organizer suddenly changed their minds and decided to call the regular direction reverse, and the reverse direction regular?

It's purely psychological. Either direction can be considered "regular" and either direction can be considered "reverse." Anyone who doesn't agree is simply wrong, it's not about opinion. A racing circuit layout is a road with corners and straights, the only reason one direction is considered "normal" and the other "reverse" is because some person just decided to call one direction normal and the other reverse.

There are other factors involved in real-life that we don't really need to deal with in games like how safety barriers, tyre walls, etc. need to be incorporated/changed if running a track in reverse and even some specific types of curbs on some tracks can't really be run in reverse because of the curb teeth's shape/direction. But that's just safety stuff for real-life. In terms of pure racing, there is only direction A and direction B - neither are more right or wrong or proper than the other.
you realise you completely contradicted yourself...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.6%