Background:
I went to an online server to ride on a track.
After a while, night fell. I turned on the high beams and to my surprise I saw absolutely nothing but a narrow space in the middle of the screen.
Since I actually drove a car with high beams on, I know it must look completely different.
low-beam-vs-high-beam1.jpg
As you can see in this photo, in reality, the high-beam headlights illuminate almost the entire front hemisphere at the bottom at the top, left and right, and there is no tilted beam shape.
So i tried to fix this issue.

Comparison video:

Manual Fix Installation:
0.1) Install Content Manager and Custom Shader Patch with it.
0.2) Open Content Manager, go to settings\custom shader patch\Lighting FX. Set Headlights wideness to 250%.
Снимок экрана 2023-03-27 193057.jpg
1) Go to your Assetto Corsa main folder: C:\....SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\extension\config\cars\common
2) Open the folowing 3 files with notepad: materials_base.ini, no_popup_lights.ini, selflighting.ini
3) At the end of each file write the following command:
[LIGHT_HEADLIGHT_0]
SPOT_UP= 0, 1, -0.35

"Spot_up" command modifies the angle of the beam. "-0.35" raises the light higher.
Снимок экрана 2023-03-27 2008112.jpg

4) Save these 3 files with the command in each file and close them.
5) What do u waiting for? Go try the new headlights!

Downsides:
1.Every time you delete or update Custom Shader Patch your 3 files revert to their original state without these commands.
2.Changing the beam of the light also affects low beam headlights.
3.The fix affects default cars from the game and modified cars that support CSP and were made for CSP specifically.

P.S.
If your car headlights are not fixed:
You need to find "carname".ini file to insert this command manually to this car. It can be in cars\mods or cars\loaded folder or where you installed the mod car.

Last edited:
Excellent! Stuff...Another option, which would prevent the downside mentioned, is to only change on a car by car basis using ext_config.ini inside an extension folder (which can be created in case it's not there). But you're right, that true to life headlight feeling was really missing in AC, despite the amazing work xfab has done on the lighting itself, a little tweak is needed for those who would prefer to see a more realistic approach.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea