read more: FFB Tweaks

I've worked with x4fab to add a new feature to the Custom Shaders Patch (as of 0.1.51) and the description is fairly brief so I thought it's worth going into a bit more detail about what this does.

7hNkrdT.png

Gyro Implementation

[ ] Active check to enable
Strength 25% adjust effect strength
AC has an "Experimental Gyro" FFB effect whose purpose was adding gyroscopic effects to the steering. It never lost the experimental tag and all it's generally recommended for is damping down oscillations on direct drive wheels.
This is that, developed slightly further based on my understanding of the nature of gyroscopic forces. I have a pretty solid case for making this change, and I believe this force exists in actual cars, and AC's original experimental gyro does not.

The developed version still suits the purpose of damping oscillations, but more importantly it decouples the body from the front wheels - so if the front wheels are pointing in a direction and the body moves around them, no gyroscopic precession happens, and no force is generated. Concretely, what we're talking about here is oversteer - on the original experimental gyro, the force acts counter to self-alignment during oversteer. With this new implementation, self-alignment is allowed to occur freely, or, if the oversteer is so quick that the wheels can't self-align, it'll actually push in the direction of alignment.

25% is simply equivalent to the original force multiplier used on experimental gyro when merging it with other FFB forces. Ultimately, the same as the other amplification ffb effects like road and slip effect, the slider is available to magnify it if your hardware's limitations are obscuring the effect.
As of CSP 0.1.53 the strength slider is outdated. A calculation using the suspension geometry now provides the right precession-based force for each car.
The description is a little bit misleading; this replaces "Experimental Gyro" so disabling it is superfluous, if this is Active, experimental gyro is not. Still, it won't hurt to disable experimental gyro and be certain it's off.

Now that I've said what the intent is, I will also note the following: this changes FFB in pretty much every dynamic situation. It's not just an improvement for drift cars or for vintage cars that oversteer constantly; any time the car moves around on the tires it feels slightly different from before. To me, it's a positive change, it's clearer what the car is doing, and I have heard similarly positive comments from testers. Nonetheless, I am not omniscient, I have not driven all these cars in real life, it's up to you to decide whether it improves your game or gives you better sim feeling the rubber or what. Modifying games to improve the FFB is a fine tradition starting with some extremely thorough efforts in rfactor1, and this is no different (maybe a bit easier to install).

I will note that it slightly increases max forces when cornering so if you have stuff set up to barely clip, you'll need an adjustment downward in global ffb mult.

Range Compression

Range compression 100% - 100% is the "default off" of this effect
[ ] Range compression assist - check to convert cars' "steer assist" into range compression.

New FFB Tweak available as of 0.1.53. The name comes from the audio world, where dynamic range compression means bringing up the quiet sounds while leaving loud sounds at their original volume. This is a much more second derivative friendly version of the Gamma effect.

The percentage is straightforward: Set it to how much you want to multiply small forces. Or adjust it in sync with your overall gain if you want to maintain the level of small forces and change large forces. For example, 200% compression + 50% gain = original 100% on small forces, larger forces decrease. If you're curious, the curve at the point of maximum force is simply the inverse, 200% compression will cause large forces 50% of the original delta in force. But in combination with 50% gain, you're moving the original maximum force downward and the ceiling before the game clips is much higher.

Think of this like power steering: you only want it to assist the heavy forces and give you maximum feel of the light forces.

This is very much an "adjust to taste" thing, it operates smoothly enough that you're safe running it upward of 300%, and I have seen IRL data indicating that manufacturers effectively go as high as 600% in power steering systems, when they want to bring 20+N forces down to a comfortable 2-3N.

Steer assist is a built in per-car feature of AC that applies a gamma function to that car's FFB. If you check Range compression assist, then FFB Tweaks will calculate an appropriate range compression adjustment, and disable steer assist. This should give you a far more normal FFB feeling (no weird bumps around center) while retaining the original goal of giving high downforce cars enough low-speed FFB to be drivable.

Last edited:
Well in my case no, not at all. I am not affraid of malware on CM or something like that.
My reasons are 1. i just want to mode my game manually - myself. To control that moddfied stuff.

Not beeing always aware of SOL and CM or CSP updates and had headache if this version might be compatible to thit version and so on.

For example earlier i modded hundreds of cars in GTA V and other suff and used them in the story mode.
Everytime there was a update, Rockstar fu**ed up some files, so it was once again nedded to wait for updates, to load new config files and all that shi* I have no more time and power to do that again and again.

^This - except I modded GP4, not GTA V, and it was other mods that caused compatibility issues, not official updates.

I managed to make it work without CM this evening and did some testing. (AMG GT3 @ Laguna Seca) I have a G920, using FFBClip for actual gain, have everything else at 0%, and I created AMS' default 80% 'low force boost' LUT for personal use from one of Niels' posts. (It is roughly equivalent to a 0.7 gamma, but it is skewed a bit towards the low forces. It's great, gives an Automobilista 1 sort of FFB.)

Overall, I did feel the difference with the new gyro - it was nuanced, but important. When I lost the rear, I eventually felt exactly that 'sudden' build-up of forces which signalled that the rears are starting to regain traction and that I should start to straighten the wheel. I'm very happy, this gives me more confidence to push, it's exactly what I was looking for and greatly improves the FFB of the game.

I have to say though that even the original experimental gyro was an improvement for me over using neither - as I was doing up to now, incorrectly assuming that the experimental gyro is for DD wheels only. I did a straight comparison from AC no gyro - ACC no dynamic damping - AC original gyro - ACC 100% dynamic damping - AC FFB tweak gyro and felt a noticable step from the 2nd to the 3rd (could already feel gyro, instead of zero signal during a high-speed slide) and then again from the 4th to the 5th in feeling gyroscopic forces.

To sum it up, even though original gyro / dynamic damping already improved my feel of slides a bit, your work, guys, on the tweaked gyro was the real thing. With no gyro I used to just go liberal on opposite lock and kind of resigned myself to a spin whenever the rear stepped out big time, whereas now I'm actually able to correct most of the slides.

Thank you.

P.S.: I also added a 5% slip effect after reading a Stefano post about how it was actually integrated into the physics of ACC - meaning using some should be definitely more realistic than using none. I judged it from the amount of vibration I felt during wheelspin at the start in ACC in the same conditions.

P.S. 2: For now, I disabled everything else in CSP, but I saw many interesting tweaks and I will probably enabled many for efficiency, such as those decreasing CPU load, improving loading times, the one that disables camera shake in replay, a lot of good stuff. Happy to see it working without CM.

Last edited:
but I saw many interesting tweaks
My absolute favorite of CSP:
TAA!

Problem for me is that even 8x msaa doesn't do anything for shadows. I don't care about some lines or edges of buildings having some pixel-crawling borders. My problem are the flickering shadows in front of me on the track!

So I forced SGSSAA via nvidia inspector for a few years but it makes everything quite blurry, shadows are still flickering a little and the main issue: it's really heavy on the graphics card!

I also hate FXAA/smaa/cmaa as it always makes the image too blurry for me and when I sharpen it back up via ReShade or nvidia filters etc, it becomes just as aliased as it is without fxaa...

But this new TAA from CSP is just glorious, lol! Everything is smooth as silk and with a little bit of CM internal sharpening, it looks perfect. If still too blurry, just throw some lumasharpen from ReShade at it.
I don't use it together with the cmaa and the amd-sharpening-stuff as recommended though. I like the raw TAA better.

Hi guys - I have another issue. I tried CSP 0.1.66, and my FFB has disappeared completely - FFBClip shows no signal on the histogram, there is zero weight to the steering wheel etc.

I reinstalled 0.1.60, same issue. I thought 0.1.66 might have broken something, reinstalled AC completely, installed 0.1.60 again, same issue.

Reinstalled Logitech G HUB, same issue. (G920 Xbox version here)

Any idea?

EDIT: Nope, false alarm, sorry, guys! I accidentally decreased Range Compression to 0.0. (Instead of the default 1.0) All good now. I successfully wasted my Saturday, good job, Atticus, very good job...

Last edited:
I have been using FFB Tweaks for a while but right now, or more after 0.1.6X CSP the whole thing feels... Weird? Can't get the same amazing feeling like before.

With FFB Tweaks on the wheel does not feel as alive as before. No matter what wheel settings or FFB Tweaks settings. In medium or fast corners it's just like the wheel weight from FFB tweaks takes up the whole FFB signal, if that makes sense?

CSW 2.5 for reference.
I have been testing 0 DPR and 100 DPR on the wheel.
With FFB Tweaks off the wheel is alive as it used to be.

I have been using FFB Tweaks for a while but right now, or more after 0.1.6X CSP the whole thing feels... Weird? Can't get the same amazing feeling like before.

With FFB Tweaks on the wheel does not feel as alive as before. No matter what wheel settings or FFB Tweaks settings. In medium or fast corners it's just like the wheel weight from FFB tweaks takes up the whole FFB signal, if that makes sense?

CSW 2.5 for reference.
I have been testing 0 DPR and 100 DPR on the wheel.
With FFB Tweaks off the wheel is alive as it used to be.
Self aligning torque was changed for cars using extended physics with CSP after 0.1.68 IIRC. The new method should be more accurate, but you might want to turn down your gain setting. Every car should feel heavier, and on a strong wheel you might even be clipping mid-corner.

The proportion of tire forces will be higher than before compared to the mechanical forces, so there should be less massive changes from turn-in to mid-corner, so if you're used to that and how "alive" it is then you might not like it at first. Stick with this before you knock it, it's better. ;)

Somewhat related, but there's an option now to allow stronger wheels to output real forces. Maybe make your curve linear and tick that. I think CSW 2.5 can do some powersteered roadcars correctly...? Not sure how functional it is, being a **** wheel user currently.

Most unassisted cars will probably just immediately peak midcorner though. And for some reason high-end wheel users don't like realistic feeling FFB so you might hate it anyway. :roflmao:

Can you see somewhere in content manager which cars use extended physics?
Unpack the data and look at VERSION in car.ini for extended-2.

I think there is also an option somewhere for USE EXTENDED PHYSICS for any car, CM will modify the data for the session, I believe. To enable rain easily. If that is ticked, everything with it will have it.

There are some new settings in the recent update. Does anyone have any clue if these are worth enabling?
I don't use the range compression myself.

The real forces thing is only for DD wheel users for some specific cars which are accurate enough to benefit from it, and have either unassisted manual steering, or electronic power steering with specific simulation via extra files.

It won't work well if the car's steering geometry and tires are not very accurate, if it has hydraulic power steering, or EPS without more detailed simulation of it.

You're supposed to set your wheel's maximum torque in the slider and run 100% gain in drivers and in AC I believe. If the wheel can give the output, it will.

You can add a line to car.ini to specify it to be used and then if enabled, it will be used. Otherwise you can force it via that tickbox. I wouldn't suggest using it with cars that aren't designed for it.

I added the line to the NSX for the upcoming update, it was one of the test cars for the system and apparently gives out reasonable results, about 3nm torque mid-corner. Your mileage may vary.

I don't use the range compression myself.

The real forces thing is only for DD wheel users for some specific cars which are accurate enough to benefit from it, and have either unassisted manual steering, or electronic power steering with specific simulation via extra files.

It won't work well if the car's steering geometry and tires are not very accurate, if it has hydraulic power steering, or EPS without more detailed simulation of it.

You're supposed to set your wheel's maximum torque in the slider and run 100% gain in drivers and in AC I believe. If the wheel can give the output, it will.

You can add a line to car.ini to specify it to be used and then if enabled, it will be used. Otherwise you can force it via that tickbox. I wouldn't suggest using it with cars that aren't designed for it.

I added the line to the NSX for the upcoming update, it was one of the test cars for the system and apparently gives out reasonable results, about 3nm torque mid-corner. Your mileage may vary.
Not 100% gain in AC. Set gain to taste in AC (it’ll only affect cars without real feel enabled).

Correction to earlier, the NSX was 7nm, now closer to 10nm with more accurate self aligning torque, I was told. I wonder where I got the 3nm from; I was thinking that seems really low.

So no, your T300RS will not do the NSX well either. :p Hence the real forces option is a DD wheel user thing.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies

Votes: 0 0.0%