RD MINI Challenge 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, race review time!

Probably my second favourite track of the season, closely behind Vanport. Was considerably more competitive here than at Jacarepagua, but so was everyone else it seemed. Tough quali and in the end I was fairly pleased with 9th.

Despite everyone's insistence on following the fight for the championship, the battle for third was clearly the most interesting ;) with Mark Gormley and Andreas Pfannschmidt close behind me, I knew that all I needed to do was finish ahead of them (much easier said than done!)

I've had pretty poor opening laps over the last two rounds, and with Andy a couple of places ahead of me on the grid I knew I needed to make a good get away here. Fortunately I did, and by the end of the first two laps I was ahead of Andy and up to sixth. Unfortunately, I didn't have the pace of the guys I had overtaken, so was involved in a titanic battle for sixth place with Lars Brugman, Vinicius Ferreira and Tamás Fóth for nearly the whole race. Held on for about 13 laps before Lars finally got through, followed by Vinicius. The battle carried on until the end, and I just held off a recovering Andy for 8th place, with Mark a couple of places further behind it was pretty good for my third place!

Race 2 was hectic as ever, it goes without saying really! Firstly apologies to Christopher Hall-Nelson, who I had contact with sending him off the track - I'd backed off coming out of turn one and got a thump from behind, it was just one of those things really but unfortunately for Mr Hall-Nelson, he came off worst.I just needed to stay within a couple of places of Mark and Andy to secure third, and was within a couple of places when the two seemed to have contact, putting Mark out. From then on it was a tough run up the field, making sure Andy didn't get too far ahead, made difficult by some rather over-aggressive driving from Vinicius, who apparently liked my car's livery so much, he wanted to be inside it. As a result of a fair bit of rough and tumble, my car wasn't handling too great, making progress tough.

Disaster almost struck on the penultimate lap, when Javier (I think) had a spin in turn 5 (6?), I second-guessed wrongly which way his car would go, and ended up clattering into the side of him. For a second I thought my engine was kaput, but fortunately it was just the steering that was knackered, and I limped round with my steering at 90 degrees!

Q: 9th
R1: 8th
R2: 9th

Pretty chuffed with managing 3rd overall in the standings, given that I had one podium all season, but I think I may have been the only person to score points in all 12 races this season (James Kirk maybe I've stolen Mark's Mr Consistency tag :p ). Certainly helped by a lot of the quicker guys not being present for the whole championship, but it just means I'll have to up my gave for Season 7. Bring it on, thanks again to everyone especially Bram and RD, and I look forward to seeing you all in shiny new liveries on the grid for S7!

GRAB_015.jpg

GRAB_016.jpg

GRAB_017.jpg

GRAB_018.jpg

GRAB_019.jpg

GRAB_022.jpg

GRAB_023.jpg

GRAB_024.jpg

GRAB_025.jpg

GRAB_026.jpg

GRAB_027.jpg

From a driver who became staff, i can only appreciate how much work and effort bram has put into this leaue, simply without him this wouldn't have happened, the dedication from the crew, Bram , Liam & James has been superb, thank you guys, i really mean that.

before i get all tears in my eyes and start to be soppy, thank's to every single driver who showed dedication in this league and came into each league race with the right mind - Having fun and driving clean!

the racing for me has been superb :)

Cheers bram
tumblr_m90iitDUDH1rshvypo3_1280.jpg

Mark Gormley continued his pressure and I needed to pass the slower guys in front of me fast. But as I reached Lucas Degen, fighting for fifth position I lost some time, because Lucas defended very well. It took some time do pass him and he sadly had a spin afterwards, loosing his still very good position.

Yep yep, it was I. You put me under told of pressure I couldn't handle longer. Sadly I spun in T1, made a beautiful 360, but came back 14th. Happy nowone hit me there.

What a great season again, so happy the mini challenge is back for good.

A bit late to the party, but I'll drop a report of the race. With screenshoots, just to be original :rolleyes:

Qualifying: After putting the fastest lap in practice right before the end, I felt confident that I could fight for the pole. I may have been overconfident though, because I couldn't do a perfect lap and I ended 4th. I was pretty happy anyway

Race 1: At the start, I somehow managed to put the car in reverse and stall. I started the engine in time for the start sequence, but I was a bit slow and Dinca Andrei managed to get the inside for T1. I held position on the outside, and kept 4th through lap 1. After a few laps, I had a bit of a gap on him so I could relax a bit. I hanged behind Jimi Hughes, Dan Allinson and Michael Braeutigam, and watched them fight since I could barely keep up with their pace. Since I brake later than Dan and hug the inside of the corner, I had a couple of scary moments where it looked like I would decide the championship, but it worked out fine.

Then, after a few laps, I went wide in the last turn and went into the grass. I got close to the wall, and lost a lot of time in the straight. But with all the fighting ahead, I managed to get back to the group. In the last lap, I might have had a chance at second with a proper last corner, but I didn't read the situation well and ended up with a slow exit. In the end 4th, I didn't get overtaken, I didn't overtake. Pretty boring, but I got to watch the fight for the top 3, so that kept me entertained (and distracted :mad:). No screenshots since it was boring! :whistling:

Race 2: Now, this was going to be a tough race. Starting 24th, in a very tight track, with mostly fast corners, it's not exactly the safest situation possible. I managed a good start and got past Dinca Andrei, but Vinicius Ferreira blocked the way so Michael Braeutigam got past me (and him). Then in T2 I braked too late and bumped into Vinicius, and overtook him as a result. Sorry, that wasn't intentional! :notworthy: After that, Dan Allinson got past me in the left-hand hairpin on the inside, but Dinca Andrei was on my right, and I didn't notice Dan, so when I went left to leave some room for the tricky right-hander, I hit Dan, luckily with no consequences. By lap 2 I was back at 24th . There was a bit of a mess in T1, and I went sideways into Michael, and also hit Dan from behind, and I lost position with Kevin Cordice. After that, I gained a couple of positions from people crashing or going offtrack, and the next lap there was another mess and I found myself in 15th, fighting with Vinicius (16th) and Nik Hughes (14th). Aftter another dance of positions, I passed Stefan Woudenberg (who got a bit mugged by the guys ahead) for 14th. After that I passed Cuthill for 13th, and then Lucas Degen, who had spun and was going slowly in the inside (which was pretty terryfing, since Dave Begley blocked my view so I had no idea where he would be in T2).

After a few more incidents, I was 10th. I catched up with Vinicius and Nik, and got past Vinicius, but then in T4 I bumped Nik in the braking zone and Vinicius got past both Nik and me. I bumped into Nik again in the right-hander (sorry, I really got caught by surprise there, where's the facepalm smiley). Finally, I got past Nik in T1, and Vinicius in the right-hander (we bumped into each other in the last turn, but he let me through in the straight, thank you!). At this point I was 7th (Dan Allinson got into some problems there), and I thought it was over, but I still had some fighting to do. I caught up with Javier Bernedo and Andy Pfannschmidt, and after some fighting, I got past without any incidents. I closed the gap with Samuel Fuller, and entered the final lap right behind him. Then I made a mistake in T4, and bumped him under braking. He kept position, and there was a bit of a gap, but the next corner, he made a mistake and I pulled alongside him into the last corner. I outbraked him, or perhaps he was trying to get a good exit and pass me before the finish, but I kept the inside and took 4th, right in the last corner :D

I had a big grin in my face when I crossed the finish line.

Race 1, while perhaps boring, was intense because it took a lot of work just to stay close to Jimi, Dan and Michael. They were one step above at all times, so I didn't have any way to attack them for position. Then race 2 was just great. Action at every instant, a lot of fighting, and I was again lucky to avoid a couple of crashes. I'm pretty happy to take another 2 4th positions, and while it would have been nice to end the season with a podium, I can't complain at all.

As for the season overall, I've had a lot of fun. It's been a privilege to share the track with so many great drivers (I don't mean fast there), and while I've had a couple of disappointments, I'm really happy with how the races went. I've learned a lot about racing, not just being faster, but also racecraft. I've enjoyed every battle I've had with every driver, and I can only hope I haven't been unfair with my driving.

On a closing note, thanks a lot to Bram Hengeveld and Scott Webber for handling the league, the organization has been superb. Also thanks to James Kirk, Liam Jenkins, and simrace.tv, the broadcasts were really enjoyable to watch and I was always looking forward to them. Double thanks to Bram, who did the camera job instead of driving. And thanks to everyone who showed up to the races, whether you were there the whole championship, you joined late, or had to leave midway, it wouldn't have been the same without everyone. And see you all in RDMCC S7 (hopefully) :)

PD: Screenshots will come *soon*

but I think I may have been the only person to score points in all 12 races this season (James Kirk maybe I've stolen Mark's Mr Consistency tag :p ).

Actually, 3 drivers have scored points in every race :cool:

Edit: Screenshots!

If GSC allows it, what about a sprint/feature format?

Quali, a ~15 minute race, then reverse the grid and have a ~45 minute race with pitstop. The longer second race might calm things a bit by giving the faster drivers more time to move forwards. Not sure how long one can get away with for the enduros, but 80 minutes was always a blast on Mini Fridays.

1/2 - Interlagos - Sprint/Feature.
3/4 - Curitiba - Sprint/Feature.
5 - Jerez - Endurance.
6/7 - Vanport - Sprint/Feature.
8/9 - Cascavel - Sprint/Feature.
10/11 - Londrina - Sprint/Feature.
12 - Nordschleife - Endurance. :)

Holy S#*T, i missed this race! I have no excuse, i simply forgot to set my alarm. Just remembered it now. Very sorry to the organisers for that. I have no excuse.

I must say after the biff and bash i got in the first 2 rounds i lost interest in spending time practising and then participating (plus a personal issue or 2 that didn't help my motivation), however it seems 3/4's of those who raced really enjoyed it, which is the main thing :)

Congrats to all especially Jimi Hughes for winning and to RD staff for their efforts.

From a driver who became staff, i can only appreciate how much work and effort bram has put into this leaue, simply without him this wouldn't have happened, the dedication from the crew, Bram , Liam & James has been superb, thank you guys, i really mean that.

before i get all tears in my eyes and start to be soppy, thank's to every single driver who showed dedication in this league and came into each league race with the right mind - Having fun and driving clean!

the racing for me has been superb :)

Cheers bram
tumblr_m90iitDUDH1rshvypo3_1280.jpg
Hell, i love those "beer" jugs......

Holy S#*T, i missed this race! I have no excuse, i simply forgot to set my alarm. Just remembered it now. Very sorry to the organisers for that. I have no excuse.

I must say after the biff and bash i got in the first 2 rounds i lost interest in spending time practising and then participating (plus a personal issue or 2 that didn't help my motivation), however it seems 3/4's of those who raced really enjoyed it, which is the main thing :)

Congrats to all especially Jimi Hughes for winning and to RD staff for their efforts.

Lol I wouldn't worry to much Bill get some extra sleep bud you weren't down to race anyway ;)

To start with....Although i too would prefer it to be on Fridays, i will be there no matter what day is eventually decided upon.
As stated previously, reverse grid is the essence in making this racing so enjoyable and challenging for all....including the spectators.
I must admit, i did not like these Mini's at the start .....more for limited setup features one had available....but now i would not miss them for the world.
So guys get your decisions in quickly so Bram can get the series up and running before my alzheimers deteriorates to the extent where i enter the mini races in a V8....:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back