RD MINI Challenge 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it looked like I'd really messed things up in the super-pole as I lost it as the last corner, going into the sand and starting at the back. But the Gods smiled upon me and decided to throw down some rain for the race.

So I put my wet boots on and fired off the start line. By lap 2 I was in 5th place in the group fighting for 3rd spot so the wet tyre choice was good for the start. Some close fighting with Mark, Mtommi until I managed to break away and established a 3 second gap back to the pack. It stayed at pretty much the same gap until late into the race.

Around lap 40 and the crew were on the radio telling me that my tyres were shredding badly (or something like that) but I didn't need them to tell me as I was slipping and sliding sideways by this time and Dan was gaining on me quickly. With a few lap to go, Dan got past and there was little I could about it. Great race again Dan, your quickly becoming my nemesis ;) Came home 4th so really can't complain considering the dreadful qualifier.

For my first entry I had expected a baptism by fire (but the gods knew water was better :wink2:). I had a good qualifying on the dry circuit, but I have never been able to handle a loose race car, and that was what the wet race track gave me (I stayed on slicks -- and my times where better than I have done on wets).

My apologies to all of those that had to lap me (twice :frown:). I really didn't mean to scare you, just stay out of your way....

Still, I managed a couple of my goals.... finish the race and not wreck anyone. Hopefully, in the next round I will meet another goal, not to be lapped ...

Thanks to all ---

Guys, let me add my 2 cents. The world is changing and the new generation of kids who were raised in computer age i here. THey have been sticking it to us in all the mmorpg's and they will do so in here as well. The good old days are numbered. Either we will allow newcomers to fill in the ranks after those that we dropped, or we will be seeing the +-15 drivers at the end of a league inevitably. I suggest trying to give wide cards to some promising drivers in the spirit of 'Come lets try it and prepare for next season, mate' and have the grid full. I mean, many of us here are driving constantly and someone should definitly be able to say "This guy won't ruin the race for all of us, I have seen him. Lets allow him to join if he wants"

On the other hand - i would like to try and make first race video, what tools would you guys recommend to start with? Consider me noob in these matter, I won't be offended, altough I have some limited experience. I'll rather have the wide picture than some crucial info missed.

Qualied 6th, got an ok start, Ryan lagged like Crazy and hit Dan and had to take avoiding action around the outside of T2.

Dropped way down and a few battles before deciding to pit for wets as I had nothing to lose.
They were much faster and much more grip. Caught up to cars on the lead lap so I hope didn't hold you up Mark and Petr.
Chris lapped me but I could keep with him no problem so I followed him past a few cars to eventually finish a solid 8th.

Thanks to RD for organising. :thumb:

Qualy: Was ok, did a 55.7xy, not to bad for me.

Race: Started 11th, actually better than I expected :). Up to the last turn I made it well through lap 1, in the last turn I drifted to far in to the gravel (as often tonight)! But otherwise managed to avoid the carnages. In the beginning I had some good racing mainly with Laurence and Lewis, both faster but could manager to keep my car better on track... for some time :(. Once Lewis went off and dropped back, but he came back and in the middle of the race I was following him for a couple of laps, good racing! Until I spun and hit the wall in the last turn, supension problem and puncture. Fortunately directly in front of the pit lane entry. While entering the pit lane I again hit the wall. Messed up the pit menu (I think I shouls practice this once without pressure, since I swtiched to manual pit, I never had a successful pit stop). Wanted to change as I anyway way here all tyres, pit preset was on wets but felt that the drys were not to bad, so tried to change the menu. Left the pit lane with ONE new tyre and a fixed suspension. So into the pit next lap again to change all tyres as the car was barely drivable :). But that put me at the end of the grid, only Krzysztof was behind me. Everybody else was at least one lap ahead, twice I tried to delap me, thought that would be easier with new tyres. In both cases I got an opportunity but in both cases went off just in the next corner so nothing :(, instead I even lost my position to Krzysztof :(. So got 14 (last of those who finished). Only positiv: I finshed.

Not a good one for me, but never was good in rain :(! Anyway ... hope next one is dry again!

For a beginner, Windows Movie Maker shoud do the job, and Fraps to record the video.

Anyway, bacl to the topic; People are going to drop out, nothing you can do unfortunately. I'd say the approach needs to be changed. Something is losing us drivers...

Qualied 6th, got an ok start, Ryan lagged like Crazy and hit Dan and had to take avoiding action around the outside of T2.

Guys I am so sorry. I had been running fine through 99% of praccy and warmup. So sorry for causing chaos :(, I noticed it off the line and hoped it disappeared quickly like it usually does but it didn't and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on :(

Such a shame because I'm usually really good in wet conditions.

RDMCC - Brands Hatch - Sunday Cup

Practice was a nightmare of disconnections for me so never really got much running in. When I did get a lap in it was midfield, so reasonable.

Quali - Went out very early and got a 55.0xx good enough at that stage for 3rd. Ryan was the last one out and put in a belter, putting me into P4.

Warm Up - Track was damp with the prospect of rain. Oh dear, only about 5 laps earlier this afternoon in the wet for practice. Should be fun.

Race - Sure enough it was rainning, stick the wets on and head for the grid. The start was good for me, got great traction of the line and went into P3. Then Kaboom!! Mini into the side of me and I made a swift hello to the barrier where I collected suspension damage and could only watch as the rest of the field went by. Dead last. :(

Still it was only the first lap so plenty of time left to salvage some points. A spirited drive ensued as lap after lap I was able to pass cars in front and slowly claw my way back up the order. Had some really nice duels along the way especially with Mark Birney.

I tried my best to preserve the tyres as there were getting pretty hot, so I just drove as consitantly as possible, which was paying dividends. I was catching all the time to those in front, but eventually run out of laps.

Finished P5, 4 1/2 secs off the Podium. Congrats to the top 3, especially Dan, two in a row :good:

Practice:
Didn't get much of it, wasn't very fast on race fuel.

Qualifying - 12th:
Qualified 12th, still not as fast on light fuel, but better than I expected, even after a late show-off from Ryan Callan :D

Race - 7th:
Good start, jumped about 3 or 4 cars after T1, no contact I believe. T2, there was a pileup, and I slipped by the chaos into 2nd. I couldn't hold the pace from those with the better setup, also I was using manual shiting + heel and toe for the craic, which left me a little slower on the straights when changing gears (then slipped a few gears :p). I was slowly slipping down the field, but didn't have any major offs. I was able to outbrake others into T1, and sometimes trick them into outbraking themselves. I was holding in 7th for most of the race. Was pretty interesting racing with worn front wet tyres. They were on the verge of asploding. They were very worn indeed...
One thing that kind of took me by surprise was the actions taken by some drivers. On more than one occasion I was bumped off the line and was overtaken as if I wasn't there. Got bumped a few times and nearly lost it in some corners, got a bit rough I must say. But it was a more exciting with the contact. Still cheeky all the same :p

Thanks to the organisers, fun race. Racing in a hot room for 41 laps in a Mini is arduous, but I managed... Cheers, great race :)

Guys, let me add my 2 cents. The world is changing and the new generation of kids who were raised in computer age i here. THey have been sticking it to us in all the mmorpg's and they will do so in here as well. The good old days are numbered. Either we will allow newcomers to fill in the ranks after those that we dropped, or we will be seeing the +-15 drivers at the end of a league inevitably. I suggest trying to give wide cards to some promising drivers in the spirit of 'Come lets try it and prepare for next season, mate' and have the grid full. I mean, many of us here are driving constantly and someone should definitly be able to say "This guy won't ruin the race for all of us, I have seen him. Lets allow him to join if he wants"

I'm 14 and I don't see why I'd stop the 'good old days'. I'm just as fair and fast as the other, older drivers here on RD. Well, some :skywalker:

Terrible race for me.

On L2T1 I spun and hit the wall, I had puncture on the tire and very slowly went to the pit, lost many seconds. In the pit changed the tyres and fixed suspension.

Unfortunately It was very slicy on the wet tyres for me, so decided to pit again and change for slicks. It was good choice, but lost many seconds again. I felt more grip and had good pace. I wanted only to score a points and I did it! Finally P13.

I hit the wall after 23 laps and my race was over...It was huge mistake - started to brake to late and lost grip on sand;/

Before start I choose to race on wet tires, and my front tires were very hot after a few laps/rear were at normal temperature, so I decided to change only front tires to slicks - very good choice;) all tires were at good temperature and I felt better during race, but I did one mistake and...race over

• Bert Van Waes

TX for the report Bram, and the fillup on the grid! Much appreciated:)

I must say the motivation to make a report for this race, maybe even league, is 50/50 for me now, but i'll do my best. Tonight or tomorrow it's here or not.

Anyway. It's nice though while so many sign out we still keep it going with the bunch that's left. I see that as a good thing guys! So lets keep the head up and try to get some more serious guys in, because this is so fun action in a not to fast little racer! I love it!

Keep it up!

guys thanks for the great race last night :)

Practice I was pacing as usual and the car felt great.
But Qualify I lost my FFB on my steering wheel, which resulted that I did not have the feeling of the car anymore. So I messed up badly lol.

Warmup saw the damp/rainy condition (and a forecast of rain) that made me do a guessing game.....but I was still fast

Race oh oh lol
It may seems that I was dominating. But I was having problems of my own.
I had to guess which setup to take and how to drive because for my feeling it was not fully wet yet.
I had a great start taking P1 directly before T1.....
But during the race, when I pushed my car I go sideways a lot, so I had to be real careful. I had some moments that I almost lost the car completely...barely saved it :)

I think maybe that track may have suited a combination of slicks up front and wet rear.....(yes Tom Coronel style :)). Because my front left was overheating a lot (in the freaking rain lol), but my rear was burning rubber faster :)

Either was still a great race.....backmarkers moving nicely for me to pass ;)

tnx to all
until next race
(It seems I just need to bring it home next week some points and I got this season already in the bag lol :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 194 67.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 124 43.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 132 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 79 27.4%
Back