RAM Usage Drops during gaming

MarcG

1000RPM
Original poster
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
Hi all,

I have MSI Afterburner running in the background on my Desktop for various reasons, today I noticed something strange, during RF2 I see the RAM Usage starts off at 6.5gb at Race Start and drops to 4.8gb by the end of the Race. The Drops occur at specific points, it's not a smooth drop off until later on in the Race.

Now this does not affect performance in anyway shape or form, it's more of a case of "I can see it happening, but I don't understand why...and now I need to know!". It also happens with other games.

I've attached the Text file (rename extension to 'hml' to open in MSI Window for a Graphical view) if anyone is keen to help me solve this mystery :)

Attachments

Reactions: BrunoB

MarcG

1000RPM
Original poster
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
Hence I wrote...

Now this does not affect performance in anyway shape or form, it's more of a case of "I can see it happening, but I don't understand why...and now I need to know!".

RasmusP

6000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
If you want to dig deeper you need to check if rF2 is dropping or if rF2 stays the same while everything else drops.
It might be:
- windows kicking out other stuff to make room for rF2. Does it in intervals and therefore you see steps
- rF2 loading too much at the beginning and then shoves some stuff back to the disk when it's not needed
- rF2 compresses some stuff over time
- time changes affecting lighting etc and therefore kicking stuff out, loading new stuff etc

Reactions: MarcG

MarcG

1000RPM
Original poster
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
Thanks, yeah Windows closing things down is a theory but what exactly it's closing I'd like to find out and perhaps close that from the start if possible. Happens with other games as I said so I'm looking at the OS more than the games in use.

RasmusP

6000RPM
Premium
Oct 7, 2016
Thanks, yeah Windows closing things down is a theory but what exactly it's closing I'd like to find out and perhaps close that from the start if possible. Happens with other games as I said so I'm looking at the OS more than the games in use.
Sorry I forgot the part with "happens with different games too". Then it's a Windows feature.
You can't really figure out what is being "put aside" by Windows. It's probably just putting things from the RAM into the Pagefile. Probably a few MB per running process, adding up to a bigger chunk.
You have over 1 GB left so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Are you running win10 btw? Then you might find a little "compressed" in the Taskmanager which might indicate a compression going on. Discovered it at the Laptop of my GF, installed 8GB instead of 4GB and disabled memory compression via powershell.

https://www.howtogeek.com/319933/what-is-memory-compression-in-windows-10/

MarcG

1000RPM
Original poster
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
aahh yeah good shout with Task manager thanks, as before I'm not concerned but would just like to know :D thanks again :)

Reactions: RasmusP

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
Oct 10, 2011
I have made a simple NET STOP script closing all unnessesary background processes down before I start a sim session.
Using this strategy I have been able to cut all these completely unnessary processes down from about 70 to 29 (Win7).
Its pretty simple to create a batch file in an editor and then search the basic names for each process to include in the script.
Its impossible to damage Windows because after a restart all the processes are running happily again occupying all the ram and ressources they want.:poop:

EDIT: Just to show that Im not bringing false info up:;)
1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcG