RAM Usage Drops during gaming

Hi all,

I have MSI Afterburner running in the background on my Desktop for various reasons, today I noticed something strange, during RF2 I see the RAM Usage starts off at 6.5gb at Race Start and drops to 4.8gb by the end of the Race. The Drops occur at specific points, it's not a smooth drop off until later on in the Race.

Now this does not affect performance in anyway shape or form, it's more of a case of "I can see it happening, but I don't understand why...and now I need to know!". It also happens with other games.

I've attached the Text file (rename extension to 'hml' to open in MSI Window for a Graphical view) if anyone is keen to help me solve this mystery :)

Attachments

• RAM Usage Lowers - MSI Monitor.txt
    139.3 KB · Views: 171
If you want to dig deeper you need to check if rF2 is dropping or if rF2 stays the same while everything else drops.
It might be:
- windows kicking out other stuff to make room for rF2. Does it in intervals and therefore you see steps
- rF2 loading too much at the beginning and then shoves some stuff back to the disk when it's not needed
- rF2 compresses some stuff over time
- time changes affecting lighting etc and therefore kicking stuff out, loading new stuff etc

Thanks, yeah Windows closing things down is a theory but what exactly it's closing I'd like to find out and perhaps close that from the start if possible. Happens with other games as I said so I'm looking at the OS more than the games in use.

Thanks, yeah Windows closing things down is a theory but what exactly it's closing I'd like to find out and perhaps close that from the start if possible. Happens with other games as I said so I'm looking at the OS more than the games in use.
Sorry I forgot the part with "happens with different games too". Then it's a Windows feature.
You can't really figure out what is being "put aside" by Windows. It's probably just putting things from the RAM into the Pagefile. Probably a few MB per running process, adding up to a bigger chunk.
You have over 1 GB left so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Are you running win10 btw? Then you might find a little "compressed" in the Taskmanager which might indicate a compression going on. Discovered it at the Laptop of my GF, installed 8GB instead of 4GB and disabled memory compression via powershell.

https://www.howtogeek.com/319933/what-is-memory-compression-in-windows-10/

I have made a simple NET STOP script closing all unnessesary background processes down before I start a sim session.
Using this strategy I have been able to cut all these completely unnessary processes down from about 70 to 29 (Win7).
Its pretty simple to create a batch file in an editor and then search the basic names for each process to include in the script.
Its impossible to damage Windows because after a restart all the processes are running happily again occupying all the ram and ressources they want.:poop:

EDIT: Just to show that Im not bringing false info up:;)
1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%