Rain and VR Improvements the Focus in New rF2 Update Released Today

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rf2 Update.jpg

rFactor 2 has received a small but important update today, adding much needed performance improvements under wet conditions to the simulation.

Having been through something of a troubled time performance wise since the latest major update to rain effects within the title, Studio 397 have been hard at work behind the scenes as they work away in the background to bring a more stable and hardware friendly performance - something it appears the developers have impressively achieved with this latest build update.

Aimed mostly at bring down the requirements for running decent frame rates under wet conditions in VR, many users are already reporting a significant increase in performance following this update - the first in hopefully several passes by Studio 397 to bring much needed performance gains to the simulation when racing in wet conditions.

Although designed with the VR user in mind, the new performance update also brings good results to players using a monitor or three for their sim racing fix - and offers benefits in both dry and wet conditions too...

You can read the new build update notes below:

Steam Build ID 2919230 - Steam Build ID 2919232 (dedicated server)
  • Optimized VR performance in rainy conditions.
  • Fixed windshield wipers showing a slight skip in the animation.
  • Fixed windshield wipers when OFF showing slightly propped up.
  • Fixed rain drops appearing too wide on certain resolutions.
  • Fixed corrupted Flag animations (affecting both official tracks and mods)
Note: Server Admins - you will need to update all dedicated servers by re-running SteamCMD.

Has the new update improved performance on your system? Please share your settings and results (as well as your comments and opinions of course) in the comments section below..

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch

RaceDepartment Instagram

I'll post what I said on the Official Forums:

- Optimized VR performance in rainy conditions.

Before this update it really wasn't worth doing any VR Benchmarks due to the fact that with Rain it was a messy slideshow! Now I'm able to run up to 90fps when alone on track and hover around 45fps with a few AI visible, race starts average around 30fps before rising....that is a massive increase and not to mention a wonderful performance boost. As mentioned before Rain will demand more due to Road Reflections, Rain GFX and what not, so I may have to lower Settings to achieve optimal Race Start FPS, but I'm delighted with the improvement - simply staggering!

...BUT that's not all, I quickly did a Single Screen Test and there's a boost in performance there too:
Todays Build : In Pits = avg 222, Min 220, Max 225 - Pit Straight = avg 173, min 162, max 228
Previous Build : In Pits = avg 181, min 138, max 182 - Pit Straight = avg 143, min 90, max 182

So it looks like there's a Rain Performance Boost all round (in my case at least, your mileage may vary), Thanks Studio397

Even tho this is a VR patch I still post my numbers while using screens as S397 said there might be a performance boost outside of VR as well.
Numbers are after lap 1 in a race session with 16 cars on track.

McLaren GT3
Interlagos
Dry: Min: 77 Max: 130
Rain: Min: 32 Max: 50

Now I don't have any numbers before the patch to compare it to but it's still interesting that there is a ~60% performance hit. Some are saying that this is still better than previous builds.so I'm glad we're going in the right direction.

As @Martin Vindis noted, the rain improvements might also help some people even if they're not running VR. That is a positive side effect from fixing the performance in VR mode.

And yes, a feature similar to what other sims call "lock to horizon" is scheduled to be released soon, for sure before we release Sebring. We are tweaking and testing such a feature right now.

Still waiting for performance improvements for those of us with triple screens & Nvidia SLI. I have almost given up on this game. I have been patiently waiting for every update to address this issue, but to no avail.

What are your specifications? i'm running 7680x1440 and 1080TI SLI, I have really good performance at the moment (mostly solid 100fps) if I tweak certain settings, have not tried rF2 after this update but sound it will be even better.
I did not think SLI works properly. I used to have a laptop that had 650m in SLI and the difference was marginal if at all with it switched on

Update works great for me, tested VR in rain yesterday evening with 10 ki on my own server, looks great, the only tricky thing was to setup new steamvr supersampling for oculus, fixed it with rift debugtool and dont use steamvr settings

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.