RaceRoom Racing Experience Review

2014-10-24_00002.jpg

In the shadow of this years sims and latest releases, there remains a loyal following of RaceRoom Racing Experience (or R3E) by Sector 3 Studios. With the majority of the content requiring purchase, the graphics not as pretty as that of competing sims on the market, and still being under development, how can they maintain their following? So, is it just another case of so-called "fanboy-ism" or have they really got something going for them?

R3E is a free-to-play racing simulator, which means you can download it for free, and drive a small selection of cars and tracks. The rest of the content is purchased using "vRP": R3E's own currency. vRP can be bought for a reasonable price, or can be won in competitions. This makes R3E somewhat of a budget friendly sim. After all, it can indeed be played for free - if you can restrain yourself after you've been teased by monetized content. For those who can't bear the thought of not having full access to all content, R3E can become somewhat expensive in comparison to other simulators which come at a one-time fee, plus a DLC or two perhaps.

R3E does host hot-lap competitions with real prizes, which is similar to some elements found in iRacing (which can cost considerably more with its monthly fees). These prizes range from vRP to VIP tickets to a real ADAC Masters race or a new Fanatec wheel.

The rather unique pricing model may seem reasonable depending on your specific desires, or may seem expensive by comparison. So, does the gameplay make it worth the risk of being sucked into paying for more content?

THE SOUND! That's the first thing that caught my attention. There's no denying, these guys have got the sound down. The difference between interior and exterior views is quite large as you would expect, and the reverb sounds amazing in tunnels. Simply put, the sounds are very, very good.

Today we are seeing graphics that are near photo quality, and after driving some of the other sims on the market, I must say R3E looks a bit cartoony. This is not to say to graphics are poor by any stretch of the imagination, because that's not true either; the sun glare looks good and the reflections in the paint are accurate. It just doesn't have that certain shine to it. But once you start driving, you won't really notice the difference, and that's really the most important bit.

The force feedback (FFB) is strong and detailed. One of the most noticeable traits is the satisfying kick it gives on shifts. This shift effect seems a bit overdone from default, but with some adjustment, it can be tuned to your own personal liking. Also very noticeable, is the way the wheel is strong and resistant without being heavy. It doesn't have that constant resistance that usually comes with strong FFB, it only pushes against you when the tyres and suspension are really under load. Although the FFB doesn't seem to change much from car to car, it feels just the way I imagine a purebred racecar should. It does have some flaws, but it seems most of them are small and will likely be worked out over time. Overall, the FFB feels very well done. More importantly, the FFB and all its traits add endlessly to the immersion.

2014-10-24_00001.jpg

Initially I felt the cars were a bit too grippy, but as I have become more comfortable with the cars my opinion, for the most part, has changed. Once you start to get your times up to pace, and you start to really push the car, it begins to feel very different. And that is a good thing. Modern race cars have loads of technology packed into them, and are relatively easy to drive, until you get them to the edge. Really, the physics are very good and I find that it is quite easy to transition from R3E to other accurate sims.

The combination of the physics and the FFB alone make for a quite immersive experience, add to it the sounds, and it is very easy to get lost in hot-lapping for hours on end. The AI isn't too bad either, they can be a bit aggressive during practice and qualifying, but most of the time they are able to safely race alongside and navigate around you. The dynamic AI difficultly setting however seems a bit too easy, I was able to easily put a large gap between myself and second place on a very short race. So, finding the preferred difficulty myself was a better option.

So, the driving experience itself is good, but what about the content? That is after all, the thing we have to pay for.

Well, the content seems to uphold a consistent quality, which is quite good. The tracks do not feel flat and smooth, the feel detailed and bumpy. The differences from track to track are noticeable, especially regarding kerbs, which is just as it should be. They may not be laser-scanned, but the tracks all have a good feel to them, unlike many other non-laser-scanned interpretations. It may not be 100% correct, but I nor vast majority of sim-racers have ever driven on these tracks in real life, so spotting the differences isn't as easy as it may appear.

Some cars do seem to have some errors when it comes to the interior, compared to real life photo and video. But where that may be wrong, the sounds are spot on. I found myself driving cars for lengths of time simply to hear the reverb of my motor coming down the front straight. The accuracy of the sounds from car to car makes the sound of the motor a deciding factor in what is your favourite. This is something many sims and games alike fall short on, so when they get it right as they have with R3E, it is sensational.

While the FFB itself doesn't seem to vary much car to car, they do feel entirely different. The FWD cars especially so. They react just as you would expect them to, and can be loads of fun to throw into the corners with the tyres howling like the alpha-male of a wolf pack. Older cars such as the BMW M1 Procar are amazing fun to slide around the corners, and I must say the level of feeling and control when doing so is very, very good. That is a particular area many, if not most, sims struggle, and Sector 3 Studios seems to have gotten it right.

Really, when it comes to the content, it's about what you enjoy the most. Some cars, I can't seem to walk away from simply for the sound. Others, it's because of the ability to enjoy a bit of hooliganism. So I won't attempt to say which are best, I can however, tell you which are my favourite combinations.

5. BMW M1 Procar @ Circuit Zolder - This one is for fun. The car sounds amazing and just feels amazing to slide around Zolder's slower corners. Give it a try, it's sure to put a smile on your face!

4. Ford GT GT3 @ Circuit Park Zandvoort - Also a great race, and the roar of the GT is amazing. This one has a lot to do with that sound.

3. Audi R8 ADAC Masters @ Nurburgring Sprint - This one makes for a great race, especially online in multiplayer. It's a track I know well, and a car that is simply brilliant.

2. Zakspeed Capri @ Laguna Seca - This one is also for fun. The Capri has so much boost it kicks the back end out at high speeds without any problem. I know Laguna Seca well, so this one is loads of fun to drift around a bit.

1. Radical SR9 Judd @ Bathurst - If I were to recommend any one car, this would be it. The sound is astonishing and just a pleasure to listen to, combined with the hills and tight walls of Bathurst, this combination really gets your immersion level up, and your pulse as well.

When all is said and done, I'd say this is a great simulator and I would recommend it to anyone who calls them self a Simracer. It may have its bugs, and multiplayer may still be in alpha, which is why I haven't mentioned it much, but the little things that are wrong with it are quickly overcome by pure immersion.

The sounds, the looks, the feel, it all comes together to form something that is simply a high quality product. Whether you play only the free content, or you buy it all, there is no question that this sim is worth the download, and worth giving it a try. Give it a chance, once you find yourself in a car you can't stop listening to, and realize you have put on far too many laps and shrugged off all your responsibilities, you will know there is indeed something to RaceRoom Racing Experience. Do I intend to keep driving R3E? Yes I do.

Get involved in our RaceRoom community by checking out our dedicated R3E forum, or by posting awesome videos and photos in our R3E gallery!

If you would like to have your product or game reviewed, contact me at ryan.ogurek[at]racedepartment.com

Last edited:
My biggest problem with R3E is that I don't always have enough time to play just one racing sim. That's not really a knock against R3E but we're currently in a great moment of time for sim racing fans. There's so many good one's and each offers something slightly different that I'll play one for a few days, then switch to another for a few days, and then keep rotating. I wish I could be loyal to one sim only but I really do enjoy a lot of them.

Last edited:
Great review and a great racing sim for those who haven't tried it. It's the real "sleeper" of the current crop of excellent sims, but (surprisingly) it's also the one I keep coming back to the most. The FFB is spot-on, the graphics are excellent, it has THE best sound of any racing sim IMHO and the track selection is great as well. My favorite is the Zakspeed Capri on the Nurburgring GP circuit. To anyone out there who hasn't tried it yet - Just do it!

Great review and a great racing sim for those who haven't tried it. It's the real "sleeper" of the current crop of excellent sims, but (surprisingly) it's also the one I keep coming back to the most. The FFB is spot-on, the graphics are excellent, it has THE best sound of any racing sim IMHO and the track selection is great as well. My favorite is the Zakspeed Capri on the Nurburgring GP circuit. To anyone out there who hasn't tried it yet - Just do it!

Yes, everyone should try it. Especially singleplayer users as it is by far the best option for them in recreating a "realistic" recing environment.

The public multiplayer is starting to grow on me as well. Just wishing for some more servers with paid content, that actually has a crowd to race.

Also worth noting for new users is to get at least one of the newer content packs. The free content does nothing to do the title proper justice. It's pack racing with the paid content that shows the real strengths of the sim.

I recommend the GT Masters pack as a starter. Or WTCC if you like touring cars.

There is a reason for the cost of that content. The quality is way above the free stuff.

I'd like them to maybe offer one of the ADAC cars as free so that people can get a taste for the new physics - the old cars so far haven't changed and still feel as vague as a politician.
Would also increase lobby sizes in MP possibly too.

Don't offer something for free if it doesn't represent FULLY what your new game can do. You are underselling yourselves.

I'd like them to maybe offer one of the ADAC cars as free so that people can get a taste for the new physics - the old cars so far haven't changed and still feel as vague as a politician.
Would also increase lobby sizes in MP possibly too.

Don't offer something for free if it doesn't represent FULLY what your new game can do. You are underselling yourselves.
I agree to an extent. I appreciate the test drive feature allows potential buyers to test content but maybe other initiatives could entice people to R3E more effectively. I feel this sim really shines in online play yet the only consistently active servers are those using the free content which really doesn't sell what this game is all about.

How about a free online sample of one of the packs in combination with a few tracks for a limited time each week, say 24hrs? For instance, offer a free online trial of WTCC at Hungaroring, Suzuka and Monza for a 24hr period. Once people see how good this content is when racing online I'm sure plenty of sales will follow. Then the following week do a 24hr free trial of ADAC GT at two or three tracks. Then do something similar with the DTM pack on another week.

Just an idea.

I think a lot of people don't know about the test drive function, I certainly didn't even after using the software for over a week.

It was test driving the WTCC Cruze that finally got me to buy the game. It felt raw and twitchy, but that's apparently just the way they set the chassis up for the race, as opposed to how I'd probably have got the engineers to do it, but the weight feels right and the power - and I got the FFB working reasonably well.

I'll probably never stop fiddling with the FFB, fine-tuning it to get what I need, but it's just about there. The game has real potential, we just need Club Racing servers now :thumbsup:

(Did I mention that R3E needs Minis?)

I like the testdrive, and r-raceway. I had great fun yesterday testing all the cars. A lot of awesome cars available but no one races them online atm. so no reason to buy them for me now. I hope that will change soon. G5 class racing will be brilliant.

If it weren't for Competitions, I'd have made a grave mistake and not have bought the Sim. When I downloaded it first to see what it had to offer I was truly put off by this RaceRoom Raceway. Come on, how can this aspire to be a Racing Sim and offer me a fictitious track, and a very ugly one at that? So I thought it to be a mediocre racing game for casuals and was about to uninstall it when someone told me to try Competions. There I got into the ADAC Merc at Lausitz and......WOW!. That was an entirely different pair of wellies, as my countrymen say. The track was beautifully made, the car really nice to drive, and......DAT SOUND!!! I AM A PROPER RACE CAR AND SOUND LIKE ONE! POWER!!!!
Since then I've bought almost all of the tracks and quite a few of them cars. I spend most of my racing time playing R3E, it is a fantastic sim to me. Besides, it definitely has this "one more lap syndrome", which I am yet to discover in pCARS (in vain so far, though), and which Assetto seems to have been losing recently due to its poor sound, silly AI and morons on open servers. But Sector 3 should definitely get rid of this Raceway in the free version and put a proper race track instead to show every new simracing enthusiast that they mean business. Which they do.

I agree with everything, even the multiplayer also add that being in alpha that is already much more than other sims around, a lot of ideas to avoid the crash and start the novice division, amateurs and real is great, so the race can be found often worthy opponents and not noob who thinks he's on need for speed. many things to improve, but what is certain is fun. keep it up!

Believe it was being discussed in this thread, couldn't find it so fast.

"With the next release the store will be updated with the long requested shopping cart functionality which will allow stacking up the items you like and check all items out at once. When you checkout your cart, you will only need to purchase the VRP's you need for that purchase, buying packs is no longer a requirement.

Buying VRP packs is still an option and will give discounts up to 18%!

The shopping cart will be limited to contain only one content package at a time, this to allow your discount to be calculated correct. This limitation will hopefully be removed in future updates."

https://www.facebook.com/Sector3stu...831.1452726308343275/1490568641225708/?type=1

I still have 2001 vRP sitting on my account, but I didn't mind as I figured I'd have spent €40 on the game anyway and that's what the vRP pack cost me.

I'll probably use them to pick up the few tracks I don't have at some point...

... and Minis once you add them...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back