RaceRoom Racing Experience Review

2014-10-24_00002.jpg

In the shadow of this years sims and latest releases, there remains a loyal following of RaceRoom Racing Experience (or R3E) by Sector 3 Studios. With the majority of the content requiring purchase, the graphics not as pretty as that of competing sims on the market, and still being under development, how can they maintain their following? So, is it just another case of so-called "fanboy-ism" or have they really got something going for them?

R3E is a free-to-play racing simulator, which means you can download it for free, and drive a small selection of cars and tracks. The rest of the content is purchased using "vRP": R3E's own currency. vRP can be bought for a reasonable price, or can be won in competitions. This makes R3E somewhat of a budget friendly sim. After all, it can indeed be played for free - if you can restrain yourself after you've been teased by monetized content. For those who can't bear the thought of not having full access to all content, R3E can become somewhat expensive in comparison to other simulators which come at a one-time fee, plus a DLC or two perhaps.

R3E does host hot-lap competitions with real prizes, which is similar to some elements found in iRacing (which can cost considerably more with its monthly fees). These prizes range from vRP to VIP tickets to a real ADAC Masters race or a new Fanatec wheel.

The rather unique pricing model may seem reasonable depending on your specific desires, or may seem expensive by comparison. So, does the gameplay make it worth the risk of being sucked into paying for more content?

THE SOUND! That's the first thing that caught my attention. There's no denying, these guys have got the sound down. The difference between interior and exterior views is quite large as you would expect, and the reverb sounds amazing in tunnels. Simply put, the sounds are very, very good.

Today we are seeing graphics that are near photo quality, and after driving some of the other sims on the market, I must say R3E looks a bit cartoony. This is not to say to graphics are poor by any stretch of the imagination, because that's not true either; the sun glare looks good and the reflections in the paint are accurate. It just doesn't have that certain shine to it. But once you start driving, you won't really notice the difference, and that's really the most important bit.

The force feedback (FFB) is strong and detailed. One of the most noticeable traits is the satisfying kick it gives on shifts. This shift effect seems a bit overdone from default, but with some adjustment, it can be tuned to your own personal liking. Also very noticeable, is the way the wheel is strong and resistant without being heavy. It doesn't have that constant resistance that usually comes with strong FFB, it only pushes against you when the tyres and suspension are really under load. Although the FFB doesn't seem to change much from car to car, it feels just the way I imagine a purebred racecar should. It does have some flaws, but it seems most of them are small and will likely be worked out over time. Overall, the FFB feels very well done. More importantly, the FFB and all its traits add endlessly to the immersion.

2014-10-24_00001.jpg

Initially I felt the cars were a bit too grippy, but as I have become more comfortable with the cars my opinion, for the most part, has changed. Once you start to get your times up to pace, and you start to really push the car, it begins to feel very different. And that is a good thing. Modern race cars have loads of technology packed into them, and are relatively easy to drive, until you get them to the edge. Really, the physics are very good and I find that it is quite easy to transition from R3E to other accurate sims.

The combination of the physics and the FFB alone make for a quite immersive experience, add to it the sounds, and it is very easy to get lost in hot-lapping for hours on end. The AI isn't too bad either, they can be a bit aggressive during practice and qualifying, but most of the time they are able to safely race alongside and navigate around you. The dynamic AI difficultly setting however seems a bit too easy, I was able to easily put a large gap between myself and second place on a very short race. So, finding the preferred difficulty myself was a better option.

So, the driving experience itself is good, but what about the content? That is after all, the thing we have to pay for.

Well, the content seems to uphold a consistent quality, which is quite good. The tracks do not feel flat and smooth, the feel detailed and bumpy. The differences from track to track are noticeable, especially regarding kerbs, which is just as it should be. They may not be laser-scanned, but the tracks all have a good feel to them, unlike many other non-laser-scanned interpretations. It may not be 100% correct, but I nor vast majority of sim-racers have ever driven on these tracks in real life, so spotting the differences isn't as easy as it may appear.

Some cars do seem to have some errors when it comes to the interior, compared to real life photo and video. But where that may be wrong, the sounds are spot on. I found myself driving cars for lengths of time simply to hear the reverb of my motor coming down the front straight. The accuracy of the sounds from car to car makes the sound of the motor a deciding factor in what is your favourite. This is something many sims and games alike fall short on, so when they get it right as they have with R3E, it is sensational.

While the FFB itself doesn't seem to vary much car to car, they do feel entirely different. The FWD cars especially so. They react just as you would expect them to, and can be loads of fun to throw into the corners with the tyres howling like the alpha-male of a wolf pack. Older cars such as the BMW M1 Procar are amazing fun to slide around the corners, and I must say the level of feeling and control when doing so is very, very good. That is a particular area many, if not most, sims struggle, and Sector 3 Studios seems to have gotten it right.

Really, when it comes to the content, it's about what you enjoy the most. Some cars, I can't seem to walk away from simply for the sound. Others, it's because of the ability to enjoy a bit of hooliganism. So I won't attempt to say which are best, I can however, tell you which are my favourite combinations.

5. BMW M1 Procar @ Circuit Zolder - This one is for fun. The car sounds amazing and just feels amazing to slide around Zolder's slower corners. Give it a try, it's sure to put a smile on your face!

4. Ford GT GT3 @ Circuit Park Zandvoort - Also a great race, and the roar of the GT is amazing. This one has a lot to do with that sound.

3. Audi R8 ADAC Masters @ Nurburgring Sprint - This one makes for a great race, especially online in multiplayer. It's a track I know well, and a car that is simply brilliant.

2. Zakspeed Capri @ Laguna Seca - This one is also for fun. The Capri has so much boost it kicks the back end out at high speeds without any problem. I know Laguna Seca well, so this one is loads of fun to drift around a bit.

1. Radical SR9 Judd @ Bathurst - If I were to recommend any one car, this would be it. The sound is astonishing and just a pleasure to listen to, combined with the hills and tight walls of Bathurst, this combination really gets your immersion level up, and your pulse as well.

When all is said and done, I'd say this is a great simulator and I would recommend it to anyone who calls them self a Simracer. It may have its bugs, and multiplayer may still be in alpha, which is why I haven't mentioned it much, but the little things that are wrong with it are quickly overcome by pure immersion.

The sounds, the looks, the feel, it all comes together to form something that is simply a high quality product. Whether you play only the free content, or you buy it all, there is no question that this sim is worth the download, and worth giving it a try. Give it a chance, once you find yourself in a car you can't stop listening to, and realize you have put on far too many laps and shrugged off all your responsibilities, you will know there is indeed something to RaceRoom Racing Experience. Do I intend to keep driving R3E? Yes I do.

Get involved in our RaceRoom community by checking out our dedicated R3E forum, or by posting awesome videos and photos in our R3E gallery!

If you would like to have your product or game reviewed, contact me at ryan.ogurek[at]racedepartment.com

Last edited:
Believe it was being discussed in this thread, couldn't find it so fast.

"With the next release the store will be updated with the long requested shopping cart functionality which will allow stacking up the items you like and check all items out at once. When you checkout your cart, you will only need to purchase the VRP's you need for that purchase, buying packs is no longer a requirement.

Buying VRP packs is still an option and will give discounts up to 18%!....
Great news!:thumbsup:
Exactly as i suggested here. Thanks S3S. :)

Thanks for your review.

I have only had a chance to drive the free cars on the one track. I find the car/track combo a bit underwhelming. The cars seem a bit exaggerated and hyper in movements and not to my liking.

I was hesitant to spend money on vRP bundles in case I did not like the game and ended up stuck with extra vRP. Now that we can buy cars and tracks or sets for the exact vRP I would like to buy something that you may feel is representative of R3E physics. What would the R3E players recommend to buy for cars, tracks, and/or sets that give the best presentation of the title?

Last edited:
If you like touring cars, the WTCC pack is a good deal. Since the DTMe 2013 is soon going to be available in R3E too, it will be worth picking that up for the big track pack at the very least.

You can test drive the cars too, to figure out which ones you like, from the store in game.

If you like touring cars, the WTCC pack is a good deal. Since the DTMe 2013 is soon going to be available in R3E too, it will be worth picking that up for the big track pack at the very least.

You can test drive the cars too, to figure out which ones you like, from the store in game.
I was thinking about getting dtm 13.. specifically for the tracks. . But does it make sense with 14 coming out this month supposedly? Wouldn't it be the same tracks and updated cars pretty much?

Adac GT masters pack and wtcc pack are very good and have the newest physics atm. I read somewhere that DTM 14 will get updated physics, not sure if dtm13 will also be updated.

edit: found the post:http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/updating-old-cars-physics-eta.93405/page-2#post-1857834
Does this mean the DTM 2014 cars have more sophisticated physics then the DTM 2013 cars, like the adac/wtcc-content?

take it as a general rule, that any new content will always contain all the latest updates to it. Tweaks can always occur ofcourse!

Last edited:
As i just posted on Vr.net

"The store will tell you the value (in real currency) of the VRP's you will need to buy what ever you have in your cart. That is if you don't have VRP's on your account that will be used for the purchase. I failed to add that to the post yesterday......(facepalm)

I will send an update on that bit of the update on our social hopefully later today."

I wanted to say thank you for the great birthday gift. Shopping cart in the store, Updated content, DTM 14, VrP in amounts needed, great ffb of late, (rfwhat?) and the most intense sim on the market. The only thing s3s needs to do now is build in a way to make a day last 30 hours so i can do a few more laps before i retire for the night. Great job, keep it up. My $ .02.....Content cost in vrp= should i get another bottle/box of cigars/cigarettes/movie/tank of gas etc-VS- buy more r3e content that lasts as long as you want and gives more pleasure than most of the things mentioned that are ALL repeat purchases. I can go without a box of premium cigars or a movie for a month to afford all the content i can stand and have it for ever whereas, the above mentioned are all choices to live with or without. Most of the people commenting here pay more for a month of cable/internet than the entire r3e/dtm experience costs. Again, keep it coming. I see there are more positive comments on these forums of late than negative, more great news.

@Jay Ekkel, Major kudos on the latest release.

Sim is getting even better. Right now, i am definitely convinced that RRE is the best of the products on offer. The physics and handling is amazing, and with the latest update of the shopping cart system it is more accessible.

Minor gripe as mentioned before in this thread, is that the free content does not show the real strengths of the sim to newcomers. I had a friend try out the free stuff and he was very meh about it, but i invited him to my place to try the M1 Procar and ADAC stuff on Hockenheim. Now he is a loyal customer :)

Also, the the damn gearbox is still breaking on all paddle/synchro/throttlecut cars unless specifying autoclutch or damage off in settings... This is annoying if you mix H-shifter/clutch and sequential/clutchless like i do.

Minor gripes though. I have basically replaced AC with RRE now. So RRE and rF2 are the only sims i keep up with now. rF2 constantly reminds me:

For RRE, PLEASE give me open wheelers :)

a racing drivers pov i asked.

so how do you find the handling and physics of ac cars.?

Physics are such a hotly debated area so what follows is my interpretation based on what I find important; In real racing suspension is balance, smooth transition, and predictable weight transfer. Since this is a science in and of itself and something different for every track loaded with compromises, it's really the tires that make the most noticeable difference. The slip angles and the behavior of the degradation of tracktion, what it does at the limit, how it responds to breaking... Basicly you can still be competitive with a relatively poor setup if you have great tires and know how to "use" them in the real world. This is the leading reason spec tires are becoming SO common in many racing series (bored yet?). But all games get this wrong, and in their defence it's fair why... But this is a much more complicated side topic about how real world physics and game physics don't work seamlessly and the topic sends academic physicists (I'm sure their are a few here) through the roof...

AC's secret sauce is in the tire modeling. The cars do feel like there is rubber on all 4 corners of the cars, vs just a simple digressive traction variable. You can feel the subtle differences in the handling when driving the care differently... You can throw a car into the corner, all the weight shifts, the inside rear wheel lightens up, control some degree of rotation, or you can ease the car into a smoother line, get some lift oversteer and replant the rear prior to trail braking or transition smoothly into trail breaking for a more agressive entry angle. This type of fine control is well after a decent suspension setup is on a car and mostly to do with manipulating the traction envelope.

So confident is Krunos in their modeling that nearly all the cars have very well balanced setups right out of the box... Any adjustments I've made have been based on driving style more than balance and even those results are mixed. You like to rear wheel steer? Then loosen the rear up, more left than right turns? turn the right side rear down one more "notch". Etc. So in essence I'm able to jump right into setting up a car to my driving style more than figuring out how to balance it based on some esoteric system and THEN fine tune it to my style, completely pointless and unrealistic...

The physics are fine, the physics in other games are fine too, but it's the realistic way the car react to weight transfer and properly settles in realistically, tire friction coefficients that seem to peak and then fall off a bit before going away completely, and feeling attached to the car that make AC really shine, and I give that credit mostly to the tire modeling.

Sorry for the rather long winded reply, but describing a feeling, in concrete terms that are harder to misinterpret isn't easy. If you spend enough time with any sim, console or otherwise, your brain will start filling in the gaps in sensation you can't get from a sim that you do in a real car, so take even what I say with a grain of salt... iRacing feels VERY real to me but more because I have a lot of experience in poorly set up race cars and it does a fine job forcing me to perform just as I have had to do in the real world with a less than ideal car setup and used tires... No offence to iRacing, hundreds of laps to just deduce that opinion and it's actually a bit of a compliment, but AC? It feels like my own car/s... already out of the garage the way I expect them prior to abusing the snot out of them...

just out of interest have your tried Racerooms new physics? If so how do you find them?

For me that is the best allround package as a sim atm. It has great ai great car and series tracks gfx audio, and the handling isnt bad also...

Only briefly. A few laps in a touring car, once I got up to speed I felt a bit on rails but I've really not spent enough time to give it a fair assessment. I did really like the audio and bought one of the larger packages. I also really liked practice having real players in it, always online really is the future...

Again, this is completely unqualified but in race room, when you find the perfect line, the car is planted, slightly off and it's a bit odd... A car "dances" at the peak of proformance, my car car didn't dance... It just sorta carved?

In AC, I feel in control of my line, and I can manipulate the traction circle to get more varied and predictable results... I failed to do this in race room... But considering the lack of time invested, I might say that about other games too... Except RF2... That also felt instantly more natural with not much more time invested but it was only demo time with a FF car... FFB really shines but it did strange things on my triple screens...

There is just something very special about AC, like a very fragile formula that makes it special, something easily and accidentally squished out of sims... so I've been sticking with it.

INTERESTING SOMETHING I DONT DISAGREE WITH

@Msportdan, I tried the GT cars in AC (merc and bmw) and those really felt odd. The road cars in AC feel great. The suspension modeling in particular. But the race cars feel like wooden planks. They have a very odd stiffness to them.
So AC is still the best sim in terms of road cars and physics related to that, but the models they use for race car chassis feel very off.

Except for my personal fav. the Abarth open wheeler. That feels really right.

So it's a mixed bag really.

playing GSc again, and theres just something about the feeling of the car that makes you believe your sitting on 4 bits of rubber and your performance relies on this..

…RRe I dunno something about its not right with the handling feels a bit floaty I cant feel contact with the tyres and the tarmac...and I cant image how Rre will simulate single seaters as well as the other sims do.

Apart from that its all good.. just that bit (physics in rre) bothers me,, cant put my finger on it

@Msportdan, interesting... To me it is the opposite. I feel that RRE has the best road feel and force feedback of all the sims, since the recent updates... I feel the weight transfer really nice, and the scrubbing of the tires is really noticable.

Also, it is the only sim where i can feel what way the surface leans properly through the wheel.

What type of content do you run in RRE, and what hardware (wheel)?

There are some difference between the cars, in particular the free ones. They still feel very bland... And probably differences in ffb settings and wheels.

Im using the ADAC and testing the DTMs 2014 atm. I agree the feeling is good in RRE (to what it was before) but compared to GSC, it just feels kinda numb. Also on a DFGT. Its hard to feel when you on the edge of grip/traction, in GSC you have great feedback of this, you can feel the car slide on bite underneath you.

If theres an area that RRe ffb could improve would be here for me. Maybe just sharpen up the handling.

Otherwise RRe has the best of the rest!

I have to disagree:) with you in this: r3r has much better replay cams and sounds in addition it has the most accurate car motion. I enjoy replays after multiplayer sessions because ot this great representation of motion ,i choose the front camera of the car behind me and i am having a great time watching my cars movements .
About the replay, i notice that AI car no bump and roll animation at all (only players car have those animation), AI cars just sliding and the movement looks "flat"...
Another thing is the AI shake left and right when it attempt to cornering looks weird. I also don't like the vibrate cam because it looks too arcade. By the way, i really love the sounds and the ffb.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%