Racer

Ruud

RACER Developer
Welcome to RaceDepartment. :)
As RSC has been offline for quite a while, RaceDepartment has been gracious enough to host a temporary Racer forum.

To kick it off, here is Racer v0.8.0. Warning: all things are set to target relatively high-end graphics card. nVidia 7950+ somewhat. Onboard cards will not do.

The download is at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer080.zip (42Mb).
If you have an ATI card, Cg shaders may not work due to a bug in Cg 2.1. Try the patched racer.exe from http://www.racer.nl/download/racer081a_patch.zip (1Mb).

Hope you can enjoy it!
Ruud

The patch (really a preview of v0.8.1, so interesting for nVidia users as well) changes these, although no data files are included you can check out some things already:
- Added envmap.live_track.sides_per_frame to set update count of live envmap
- Car.ini camera<n>.view variables were read, but never used. Removed loading them, they are (and were) obsolete.
- LOD (level of detail) for objects is now adjusted to take into account the camera FOV (normal FOV=50).
- Split fullscreen_shaders directory into LDR and HDR variants (data/renderer/fullscreen_shaders_hdr and _ldr).
- Added car.ini engine.idle_method to avoid throttle being slightly open all the time. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/engine.htm
- Now enforcing engine.stall_rpm to be at least 100 rpm less than idle_rpm to enable the new idle_method 1.
- Added engine.braking_torque_curve to specify a curve for the engine braking instead of the linear parameters.
(the Lambo now uses such a curve for demonstration)
- Modified smoke particles to have no velocity. Also increased the brightness somewhat.
- Bloom map was 16-bit, now 8-bit.
- Added car.ini audio.skid audioset based on skid amount (around 0..2). This allows subtle scrub sounds before
going to screeching & screaming.
- Added 'gearwhine_off' audioset for gearwhine under deceleration circumstances.
- Fuel consumption was based on engine output torque, added internal friction (engine braking torque) in fuel use calculations.
- Renamed racer.ini variable 'collision.report_car_trk' to 'collision.report_car_track_collision'
- Added car.ini's reboundstop_len and reboundstop_k for much the same as a bumpstop, only to prevent wheels falling through susp<n>.maxlen
see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/suspensions.htm#reboundstops
- susp<n>.restlen no longer needs to be smaller than maxlen. It ignored precompression that way.
- Added fuel.rof to overrule the fuel grams/liter parameter. Normally it's around 700 for regular petrol.
- Added views.ini 'invert' field (0/1) which inverts the variable (like 'factor' which multiplies it)

The list of changes since v0.7.3:

- Bugfix: OpenGL3.0 drivers would crash Racer due to a mistake in getting some extension function pointers.
- Bugfix: track's with special.ini gfx.time below 1000 (10am) were not interpreted correctly.
- Bugfix: turning on projected lights no longer kills some 3D dials
- Heavily modified Cg shaders. Also added a lot more. See http://racer.nl/tutorial/gpushader.htm
- Projected lights used alphafunc, which made lights on semi-transparent object pixely.
- Added car.ini's model_reverse_l/r models for true rear lights. This should do away with the views.ini hack to add reverse lights.
- Modified live track envmapping to not do all sides every frame. Lots faster.
- Removed dbg_stats tree in racer.ini (it was obsolete).
- Added 'clouds' script command for Cg-shaded skies, added 'clouds' uniform float parameter for Cg shaders (0..1).
- Also added 'clouds' in a track's special.ini (env.clouds)
- Added resolution.vsync to sync to display frequency or not (0=max fps, 1=sync, >1=set interval)
- Added moving helmet (+pilot body) model option in car.ini. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/helmet.htm
- Raised the number of possible flares for each car to 20 (was 10)
- Simple (single-polygon) shadows for car views without a body model are now turned off.
- Removed 'fx.sky_enable' option. The sky is always on.
- Removed 'gfx.reflections' option. Was/is obsolete.
- Added graphics.show_names to be able to indicate driver names floating above cars.
- Added mirrors.texture.fbo setting to render into an offscreen framebuffer object (faster)
- Added mirrors.texture.fbo_samples setting to enable anti-aliasing of the mirror.
- Added HDR rendering basics (renderer.hdr.enable=1). Uses data/renderer/shaders_hdr directory if enabled, shaders_ldr otherwise.
- Added Bloom rendering for HDR mode (renderer.bloom.enable=1).
- Split data/renderer/shaders directory in two: shaders_ldr and shaders_hdr. HDR is the way to go. LDR will be deprecated.
- Added ini.auto_lights setting (0/1) to determine with time-of-day controls a car's light automatically
- Added shader 'reflect' material property for reflective Cg shaders (in the same line as diffuse, ambient, specular etc).
Use this in conjunction with [dyn_]shader_reflective_v/f.cg for example.
- Added car.shd/track.shd 'motion_blur' variable to turn off motion blur velocity map generation for certain shaders (wheels mostly).
- Added auto-exposure settings for HDR rendering (racer.ini:renderer.auto_exposure.*)
- Added fx.sun.auto_time_of_day to track real current (PC) time for the time of day in Racer
- Added fx.sun.fast_time_factor to set time speed. Normally 0 for no time change, 1 for realtime, >1=faster than realtime
- Added fueltank in cars. See data/cars/default/car.ini (fuel.* settings). Currently in alpha. No fuel means no throttle.
- Added fuel view variables for views.ini files (for cars). See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/fuel.htm for details.
- Added formatting option for views.ini; 'float_1' displays a value with 1 decimal (for example: 123.4).
- Added 'sample_hold' option for view elements to get slow-updating dials (mostly useful for digital dashboards)
- Added fx.sun.flare option to remove sun flare. It doesn't match with the Cg sun position.

I love new graphics and physics of new v0.8.7 racer but I encountered some bugs (from last ver. till now)

v0.8.7 bugs
-cars smoke is wierd sometimes (from old ver. cars mostly)
-new graphics make some tracks unplayable in some moment (excessive lag but there is no problem on replays) e.g. Akagi(1st U turn), Laguna Seca...(v0.8.6-v0.8.7)
-graphics config menu in racer folder is so funny (try to set it on high performance and run spoon s2000 car)
-wierd (and scary) graphics on car view after race on car selection (v0.8.5-v0.8.7)
-too low sound on current version version

anyways keep up a good work and hope to see new ver.(or patch soon)

I love new graphics and physics of new v0.8.7 racer but I encountered some bugs (from last ver. till now)

v0.8.7 bugs
-cars smoke is wierd sometimes (from old ver. cars mostly)
-new graphics make some tracks unplayable in some moment (excessive lag but there is no problem on replays) e.g. Akagi(1st U turn), Laguna Seca...(v0.8.6-v0.8.7)
-graphics config menu in racer folder is so funny (try to set it on high performance and run spoon s2000 car)
-wierd (and scary) graphics on car view after race on car selection (v0.8.5-v0.8.7)
-too low sound on current version version

anyways keep up a good work and hope to see new ver.(or patch soon)

The smoke and odd graphics are not bugs it just shows the tracks and cars that will need to be updated to the newer graphics.
The sound can be fixed by opening the racer.ini and changing the mastervolume setting in the audio section, 70 works well for me.

Alex Forbin

I think this time it is really bad luck that happened. I can only speak for ourselves but we never had such issues with the hosting company both RSC and RD have.

Being at the wrong moment on the wrong place i think. Keeps you sharp though as we have done a full local backup too yesterday.

Finally found the link to this forum and it took me an hour to figure out how to log in. Then when I went to the home page it was being worked on. Loks good.

Anyway, I downloaded the new 0.8.7 version and tried it out, WOW, a big improvement!! A bug I found was when loading a new track and car the guages don't appear until I run it a second time, then if I select a new car to run on a track the guages don't appear again until I esc and run again. It appears to have a bit of a problem with deciding what it's going to do.

I do like the magic green,yellow,red line going into a corner and the movables are working very well. Hope Ruud don't muck with them and make them disappear again.

The lighting is very good but a little bright on a couple of tracks, I haven't adjusted any thing with that so it will probably be good.

I still get a floating car on the "desert" track.
Great job Ruud, keep up the good work!

0.8.7 looks really nice, hardly any fiddling to make it work well for me (I just had to update a couple of the shaders I wrote to use the new atmosphere.cg).

I remember Dave was asking about overcast lighting, this is what I've got. Probably need to tone down the clouds a bit (they're bright white in all lighting situations right now, I'll have to think about what is more correct before I do anything about it)

The finish line on Carlswood seems to have its own lighting though, I don't know if this is a shader problem so I guess I'll look into it.

Oran Park works ok ...

I downloaded and tested Oran Park from http://www.tracciontrasera.es/ and although it's loadable this version does have some issues the road around the loop bridge and tunnel disappears check it out here http://www.treezone.co.nz/Oran_errors/ , if there's a working version I'd love to see it and thanks for the great track.
I'm still catching up with the thread reading here so it might be already posted later than post #121 wher this above quote has come from.
lastly (off subject) we might consider using http://www.dropbox.com for file storage seems to work seamlessly and links can be posted here for downloading
I have tried it with Tracciontrasera webmaster and we both had good results uploading and downloading through dropbox, it's a windows program but has a limit of 250MB so files will need to be changed as they can not be stored for dowload from dropbox for ever. Happy file sharing ..

well I'm caught up reading through most of this forum, It's so good to have us all together again .. and happy seasons greetings to you all on 2009 - 2010 new year :)

Rean a replay and noticed a white square over the rear brake lights when they come on. Both cg an non cg car did the same.

Something wrong with the flare feature or possible wrong setting somewhere, I don't know which.

attached image shows the problem (bug). if I could add an attachment, it does indicate that I can but doesn't work. Bummer.
read the rules but it don't work.

Some bugs in Racer v0.88 (also see on v0.87, so knowed bug!):

- Dials dissapearing randomly
- Interior of some cars with wrong lighting

Screenshot of Racer v0.86 vs v0.88

screenshot621.jpgscreenshot622.jpg

Also the car list on the selection screen should have more capacity, the 250 limit (i think) that Ruud selected isn't enough for many users that have more cars!

250 limit is a bit on the low side I've got almost all the avalible cars here and am helping http://www.tracciontrasera.es/ to update his data base with cars and tracks lost in the RSC forum, there's 496 cars and 244 tracks of which some 10 or so have repeats to repair errors such as missing Audio code,and other simple fixes.
If there's a car or track designer that's in need of a specific track/car just let me know or ask at Tracciontrasera.

• Tiberius

- Interior of some cars with wrong lighting

Tormento, I think that's a shader problem rather than a bug. Ambient and diffuse light are read now and weren't before (Ruud fixed it a few version back AFAIK), light calculation has changed anyway so you might need to change the ambient and diffuse in the car shader, especially for non-cg shaders :).

My Qlog has this about 800 times:

(WARN): QEventPush(); out of space

I've been getting this too and I've got nowhere near 250 cars or tracks :tongue:

TrackEd seems to be going buggy on me, I keep getting a TrackEd crash and Qlog filled with that error when I try to open a track with DOFs exported from Blender (Modeler loads them all fine). Seems to be OK at the moment but I'm curious what that one means..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back