Racer

Ruud

RACER Developer
Welcome to RaceDepartment. :)
As RSC has been offline for quite a while, RaceDepartment has been gracious enough to host a temporary Racer forum.

To kick it off, here is Racer v0.8.0. Warning: all things are set to target relatively high-end graphics card. nVidia 7950+ somewhat. Onboard cards will not do.

The download is at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer080.zip (42Mb).
If you have an ATI card, Cg shaders may not work due to a bug in Cg 2.1. Try the patched racer.exe from http://www.racer.nl/download/racer081a_patch.zip (1Mb).

Hope you can enjoy it!
Ruud

The patch (really a preview of v0.8.1, so interesting for nVidia users as well) changes these, although no data files are included you can check out some things already:
- Added envmap.live_track.sides_per_frame to set update count of live envmap
- Car.ini camera<n>.view variables were read, but never used. Removed loading them, they are (and were) obsolete.
- LOD (level of detail) for objects is now adjusted to take into account the camera FOV (normal FOV=50).
- Split fullscreen_shaders directory into LDR and HDR variants (data/renderer/fullscreen_shaders_hdr and _ldr).
- Added car.ini engine.idle_method to avoid throttle being slightly open all the time. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/engine.htm
- Now enforcing engine.stall_rpm to be at least 100 rpm less than idle_rpm to enable the new idle_method 1.
- Added engine.braking_torque_curve to specify a curve for the engine braking instead of the linear parameters.
(the Lambo now uses such a curve for demonstration)
- Modified smoke particles to have no velocity. Also increased the brightness somewhat.
- Bloom map was 16-bit, now 8-bit.
- Added car.ini audio.skid audioset based on skid amount (around 0..2). This allows subtle scrub sounds before
going to screeching & screaming.
- Added 'gearwhine_off' audioset for gearwhine under deceleration circumstances.
- Fuel consumption was based on engine output torque, added internal friction (engine braking torque) in fuel use calculations.
- Renamed racer.ini variable 'collision.report_car_trk' to 'collision.report_car_track_collision'
- Added car.ini's reboundstop_len and reboundstop_k for much the same as a bumpstop, only to prevent wheels falling through susp<n>.maxlen
see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/suspensions.htm#reboundstops
- susp<n>.restlen no longer needs to be smaller than maxlen. It ignored precompression that way.
- Added fuel.rof to overrule the fuel grams/liter parameter. Normally it's around 700 for regular petrol.
- Added views.ini 'invert' field (0/1) which inverts the variable (like 'factor' which multiplies it)

The list of changes since v0.7.3:

- Bugfix: OpenGL3.0 drivers would crash Racer due to a mistake in getting some extension function pointers.
- Bugfix: track's with special.ini gfx.time below 1000 (10am) were not interpreted correctly.
- Bugfix: turning on projected lights no longer kills some 3D dials
- Heavily modified Cg shaders. Also added a lot more. See http://racer.nl/tutorial/gpushader.htm
- Projected lights used alphafunc, which made lights on semi-transparent object pixely.
- Added car.ini's model_reverse_l/r models for true rear lights. This should do away with the views.ini hack to add reverse lights.
- Modified live track envmapping to not do all sides every frame. Lots faster.
- Removed dbg_stats tree in racer.ini (it was obsolete).
- Added 'clouds' script command for Cg-shaded skies, added 'clouds' uniform float parameter for Cg shaders (0..1).
- Also added 'clouds' in a track's special.ini (env.clouds)
- Added resolution.vsync to sync to display frequency or not (0=max fps, 1=sync, >1=set interval)
- Added moving helmet (+pilot body) model option in car.ini. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/helmet.htm
- Raised the number of possible flares for each car to 20 (was 10)
- Simple (single-polygon) shadows for car views without a body model are now turned off.
- Removed 'fx.sky_enable' option. The sky is always on.
- Removed 'gfx.reflections' option. Was/is obsolete.
- Added graphics.show_names to be able to indicate driver names floating above cars.
- Added mirrors.texture.fbo setting to render into an offscreen framebuffer object (faster)
- Added mirrors.texture.fbo_samples setting to enable anti-aliasing of the mirror.
- Added HDR rendering basics (renderer.hdr.enable=1). Uses data/renderer/shaders_hdr directory if enabled, shaders_ldr otherwise.
- Added Bloom rendering for HDR mode (renderer.bloom.enable=1).
- Split data/renderer/shaders directory in two: shaders_ldr and shaders_hdr. HDR is the way to go. LDR will be deprecated.
- Added ini.auto_lights setting (0/1) to determine with time-of-day controls a car's light automatically
- Added shader 'reflect' material property for reflective Cg shaders (in the same line as diffuse, ambient, specular etc).
Use this in conjunction with [dyn_]shader_reflective_v/f.cg for example.
- Added car.shd/track.shd 'motion_blur' variable to turn off motion blur velocity map generation for certain shaders (wheels mostly).
- Added auto-exposure settings for HDR rendering (racer.ini:renderer.auto_exposure.*)
- Added fx.sun.auto_time_of_day to track real current (PC) time for the time of day in Racer
- Added fx.sun.fast_time_factor to set time speed. Normally 0 for no time change, 1 for realtime, >1=faster than realtime
- Added fueltank in cars. See data/cars/default/car.ini (fuel.* settings). Currently in alpha. No fuel means no throttle.
- Added fuel view variables for views.ini files (for cars). See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/fuel.htm for details.
- Added formatting option for views.ini; 'float_1' displays a value with 1 decimal (for example: 123.4).
- Added 'sample_hold' option for view elements to get slow-updating dials (mostly useful for digital dashboards)
- Added fx.sun.flare option to remove sun flare. It doesn't match with the Cg sun position.

Pacific Northwest Motor Sports Park

One of the newest motor sports parks is using the track I made for them with RACER in a "simulator" that can be downloaded.

The "simulator" files include the track and a few cars and the racer program with my racer.ini set up with HDR turned off.

The track is 6 miles long and can be set up such that three races can be run at once when the project is completed.

Link to Pacific Northwest Motorsports Park: http://www.pnwmotorsportspark.com/index.html

This is a beta version, 68 mb in size, and will be updated as the track is built.

Images!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• pnwmsp1.jpg
    pnwmsp1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 284
  • pnwmsp2.jpg
    pnwmsp2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 262
  • pnwmsp3.jpg
    pnwmsp3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 253
Toyota Celica ST205 WRC Black

I've had this one laying around the HDD for acouple of months now, without any progress so instead of having it myself i might aswell release it!

Its the Toyota Celica ST205 WRC with black paint (got it with full WRC-skin too). The engine specs arent spot on but a whole lot of fun in my opinion :)

Dont modify or borrow parts without my permission, itll be easy so that wont be a prob :)

I've used cG-shaders for more or less everything so it might be a bit heavy for some GFX-cards. It has got some weird faces-probs on the interior but i cant find a solution for it, havent tried that hard ither ;)

st205wrcblack.zip - 13.3 Mb

Attachments

• ST205 Front.jpg
    ST205 Front.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 290
  • ST205 Rear.jpg
    ST205 Rear.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 274
  • ST205 Int.jpg
    ST205 Int.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 289
  • arkanoid

Hi, I'm a new user of BTB, I downloaded the pro demo version just few days ago.
I'm trying to build a track I started draw with Autocad then with 3D studio max but then aborted due to the difficult program and too many things to know to make it work with sim I have, rFactor.
I found BTB and I can really appreciate it, but I have some problems.
For instance, I draw the track, terrain aside, walls, some trees and then ripples.
I exported the track, it works, then I started refining, widening the track a bit, moving here and there.
Surprise, I'm not able to move existant or put in new ripples.
Any time I touch one, an error message comes out. I have Vista HP 64 ITA so the error is in italian, I hope the translation is right.
"exception not handled. Click continue to ignore and try to go on. Click quit to stop the application immediatly. Object reference not imposted on an object instance".

The meaning is absolutely obscure for me.
The message contains a wide text about something like "System.NullReferenceException: Riferimento a un oggetto non impostato su un'istanza di oggetto.
in BobsBits.SObjectInstances.FindNearestSObject3d(Single PositionX, Single PositionY, Matrix matrixView, Matrix matrixProjection, SObjectInstance& SelectedSObject, Vector3& HitPosition)" etc etc.

Now, I have a quite complete track, but with ripples in the middle of the road, airborne and corners without. Grrrrrrr......anybody has an idea to solve? If it's useful, I can post the track.

I'm twice worried because I spent about 10 hours on, and the project is suitable to be built on a local military airport area and I desire to pull on this solution as soon as the zone will be dismantled b the army.

;)

Edit: the probles involves all string of objects, then also tires.....

• arkanoid

I got one kind of solution......maybe interesting for someone who have the same problem. With the SObjects panel open, on top right there is a list button. The list is probably populated (it feels like there are many white rows), but it appears blank. using the forward and back arrows near that, the program selects the objects, then with the minus button it's possible to delete them. I'm not too confident about the file, the problem is apparently not solved but in this way it's possible to recover a draw with misplaced objects.

• sampro

Problem executing racer

hi to all.
When i execute racer.exe a window with black foreground showed and then after seconds a "don't send" window appeared.

this is my qlog:

Fri Jul 17 00:10:27 (INFO): [noqapp/2140] --- application start ---
Fri Jul 17 00:10:27 (INFO): [noqapp/2140] 1 processor(s); setting affinity to 0x1
Fri Jul 17 00:10:27 (INFO): [racer/2140] Racer version: 0.8.3b (Jul 10 2009/17:25:43) - customer: Internet
Fri Jul 17 00:10:28 (INFO): [racer/2140] Physics engine: NEWTON
Fri Jul 17 00:10:30 (INFO): [racer/2140] Audio: setting speakermode to 2 (stereo, system default is stereo)

Problem with XtremeRacers.info

Hey guys, I don't know if you experience this or not.

Since XtremeRacers had changed their primary host, I can't log in with my existing account.

I guess they got our old account deleted and we must register again, is that true?

It is suggested that you play with the most stable version of Racer: 0.5.3 BETA 5~8. Most of the cars work fine in these version, some of them doesn't have sound in new versions.

Generally most people can't launch Racer since 0.6 is released, maybe it's a compatibility issue with new CG function or something else.

It's been to long without new stuff, so I'm doing this...

Hi, guys!! How's your life going?

Since RSC is back without Racer section, people stop making new stuff for Racer; And we really need something new to keep the game alive, so I'm starting a C-West EVO IX for Racer; But not a scratch one, it's a conversion of Juiced 2.

Current I'm applying textures on it, so I'll take some days to give it a fine-tuned material setup.

Here's a working sence:

headlight.jpg

Well, if you'd like to see further details for my progress, check my Blogspot.

I'll have a regular update there: http://jtunedgarage.blogspot.com/

And any help on car.ini or torque.crv thingy is welcomed, :thanks:

The racer forum has been dismantled (shame though) and it was nice having you guys in the temporary forum in the time the official one was down.

I have talked to Ruud, and all messages now have been merged into a thread that will be stored here in the general pc racing forum.

It was nice having you guys, and feel free to continue here in this thread and around the RD forum ofcourse

I still have no idea why we went back to RSC, they have been very unreliable for quite some time. I do appreciate what they have done over the years but it seems that either they have lost their enthusiasm for the work or it has outgrown their capabilities.

Alex Forbin

Hi all,
Racer 0.87 Beta is released (newer than 087 &087a pre-release version)
http://www.racer.nl/dl_beta_win.htm

I would have missed this the other day, if I hadn't noticed the release date.
It's quite an update too, with changes to graphics, physics, and multiplayer.
The graphics look much better in my opinion. Updates will need to be done to some CG cars due to changes, but we knew that would happen eventually.
The tire model seems much better as well, high camber does not have the same exaggerated effect as before.
Steering is a bit weird however, it's like the linearity is backwards the ratio on center is very high then slows at full lock. I think this is from the sensitivity_rise and fall setting from Racer when it set up your controls, just comment them out and it is fine.

Alex Forbin

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back