RaceDepartment Rookies Race - 15th March

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Abarth 500 AC.png

EDIT: Track updated to Silverstone National. RaceDepartment are excited to announce our first of many upcoming races designed with the rookie in mind, using Assetto Corsa and the incredible Abarth 500 at Silverstone!

This Wednesday 15th March we will be hosting a special club race in Assetto Corsa, designed for drivers who are new to sim racing online (or just want a good race) and looking to build their experience and confidence racing closely with other community members.

The car of choice will be the incredibly enjoyable Abarth 500 in Assetto Corsa, and we will be pounding round the short and frantic Silverstone circuit for a 30 minute race, preceded by a 60 minute practice and 20 minute qualifying session. Oh and it's going to have it's own live stream on Twitch too :D

Although the race will be open to all skill and experience levels we would particularly like to see some new faces in the event. This race is designed to serve as an ideal setting to get you more involved in the world of online racing here at RD, a place where you can learn the ropes and gain experience whilst taking advantage of the opportunity to learn and gather knowledge from your fellow drivers and staff. Oh and being as it's the Abarth 500's then the racing is pretty much guaranteed to be of the closet nature you'll find in Assetto Corsa too!

To help with the learning process (and because banter in club racing is usually pretty cool too) we will be mandating drivers to log in to TeamSpeak for this event (you can find out how to do that here). Don't worry, no one bites and the laughs you can have with your fellow simmers is sometimes more fun than the actually racing itself!

All you need is a copy of Assetto Corsa, Premium membership, keyboard, console controller, or steering wheel and you are all set to go! For the event we are going to focus on getting you on the online track (for the first time) and giving you a great experience and making you a better driver.

Make sure to sign up HERE by making a post and on race day you can book yourself in the game between 17 and 1900 GMT. Booking is used so you can still rejoin the event even when you loose connection from the server

Sim racing is awesome, and racing online against real people is even better! You can find out about the event HERE and sign yourself up for some great online action.

The race will take place at the following times and will be the first of many such events we plan to hold in the coming weeks:

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM EU 500
Cars: Abarth 500 Assetto Corse (the upgrade with the nice grippy racing slick tires with fixed setup)
Track: Silverstone National

Booking: Booking is open from 17:00 to 19:00 GMT
Practice: 19:00 GMT (60 minutes)
Qualifying: 20:00 GMT> (20 minutes)
Race: 20:20 GMT (30 minutes)

Remember, this event isn't just for rookies although that is the main aim of the session. If you are an experienced driver you are still welcome to take part in the action, after all a low powered car with slicks and fixed setups on a small track is great, what's not to like?

Have fun on track!

You can find more Assetto Corsa racing events in our excellent Assetto Corsa League and Club Racing sub forum. We have a dedicated space on the internet who's sole purpose is to host enjoyable, clean and fun racing events for you to enjoy! Check out the forum and have a look to see what you've been missing!

Assetto Corsa Abarth 500 Rookies Race 3.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds interesting. Where do i get the car? Either i am to blind or to stupid to find it in AC.

The car is default Kunos content. The version we are racing is the (I think) stage 3 one. You can select the various versions on the same car select screen where you pick the liveries.

As mentioned above, to race in this event (and all RD club and league races) you will need a Premium account. Link here - http://www.racedepartment.com/pember/membership-new

What you get for Premium:

As a Premium Member of RaceDepartment you are helping us to pay for our growing monthly server bills.
In return you receive an extensive pack of fantastic features as a premium member:
  • 100% advertisement free browsing of our website and forums.
  • Private 90 minute online driving school course in the Premium Driver Academy with support from a live tutor to improve your racing skills in a racing game of your choice.
  • Race online in our daily casual racing clubs and professional leagues.
  • Full access to The Paddock Club our popular private forum for premium members.
  • Exclusive usage of RaceTube to upload and host your photos and to share your videos with our hundred thousands of visitors.
  • No bandwidth limitations when up- or downloading modfiles from and to our downloads section.
  • Sell your second hand sim racing gear in our Sim Racing Marketplace.
  • Exclusive gold username and rank tag.
  • Create a forum nickname for internet privacy reasons and display a real name to only other premium members. Search engine safe!
  • Create a unique custom user title that will display below your username.
  • Create a unique signature that is visible on all the posts you make on the forums.
  • Include Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Youtube and Twitch accounts in your postbit and boost your followers.
  • Have an increased say in possible changes to the site.
  • Be the first to know when extra features are added.
  • Add up to 15 people in private conversations.
  • Add up to 15 people in tags.
  • Request a username change.
  • Increased avatar quality (52kb vs 20kb)
  • See who up- or down-voted a post
  • Unlimited time to edit your own forum posts.
  • Unlimited time to edit your own conversation messages.
  • Bigger prizes to be won for our leagues.
  • Can setup their own racing events on our dedicated servers (coming soon!)

Hello guys,
this is my situation.
a2ujja.jpg
I hope to receive the Wheel tomorrow.
Then I need to solve some issued related to SteamLink that are: Teamspeak and VirtualHere software.
Anyway I will partecipate, if I am not able to find a fast solution I will inform and give up.

Great idea; two questions:

1 - If doing this on weekdays, wouldn't it be possible to try also the US server on US friendly weekday times, @Christian Moreau ?

2 - Perhaps also consider to allow non-premium members to taste this race once in the less populated US server?

Sadly, can't do weekdays in EU evening time; thanks anyway!

I would like to join the party! Though I'm not exactly rookie to league races I'm far away from any pro status. I just wanna do some not-so-serious racing. Did I mention I'm bad at car setups? :)

1 - If doing this on weekdays, wouldn't it be possible to try also the US server on US friendly weekday times, @Christian Moreau ?
We can certainly try a beginner event in the near future. My schedule is a little tight right now so it wouldn't be for at a few weeks, but I will certainly look into it.

2 - Perhaps also consider to allow non-premium members to taste this race once in the less populated US server?
I don't think this could happen. As far as I'm aware, the closest we've ever come to doing this was "Freemium" but it has been removed for a while and I don't believe we are bringing it back. The event is targeted towards new Premium Members who might not have as much experience in online racing, or Premium Members that haven't tried our club races yet.

The car is default Kunos content. The version we are racing is the (I think) stage 3 one. You can select the various versions on the same car select screen where you pick the liveries.

As mentioned above, to race in this event (and all RD club and league races) you will need a Premium account. Link here - http://www.racedepartment.com/pember/membership-new

What you get for Premium:

As a Premium Member of RaceDepartment you are helping us to pay for our growing monthly server bills.
In return you receive an extensive pack of fantastic features as a premium member:
  • 100% advertisement free browsing of our website and forums.
  • Private 90 minute online driving school course in the Premium Driver Academy with support from a live tutor to improve your racing skills in a racing game of your choice.
  • Race online in our daily casual racing clubs and professional leagues.
  • Full access to The Paddock Club our popular private forum for premium members.
  • Exclusive usage of RaceTube to upload and host your photos and to share your videos with our hundred thousands of visitors.
  • No bandwidth limitations when up- or downloading modfiles from and to our downloads section.
  • Sell your second hand sim racing gear in our Sim Racing Marketplace.
  • Exclusive gold username and rank tag.
  • Create a forum nickname for internet privacy reasons and display a real name to only other premium members. Search engine safe!
  • Create a unique custom user title that will display below your username.
  • Create a unique signature that is visible on all the posts you make on the forums.
  • Include Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Youtube and Twitch accounts in your postbit and boost your followers.
  • Have an increased say in possible changes to the site.
  • Be the first to know when extra features are added.
  • Add up to 15 people in private conversations.
  • Add up to 15 people in tags.
  • Request a username change.
  • Increased avatar quality (52kb vs 20kb)
  • See who up- or down-voted a post
  • Unlimited time to edit your own forum posts.
  • Unlimited time to edit your own conversation messages.
  • Bigger prizes to be won for our leagues.
  • Can setup their own racing events on our dedicated servers (coming soon!)

This is something for me to really consider, these days I spend more time designing liveries and when I do go to track I mostly race alone doing hot laps, enjoying the different tracks, improving my times and setups. I've just got tired of racing against the AI. If you have being racing games for the last ten years and more then I'm sure many people would agree with me that no matter how good the AI is they all become predictable even with modifications.
Having the human element added would be of big interest to me because am sure that on the racing side of things would be much more fun, challenging and you get some premium membership benefits to go with it.

Do it @ClimaxF1 it's great fun :D

For years I was an offline racer and very happy with it I was too. I had a premium membership at RD for a while just to support the site then one day decided to bite the bullet and get racing online. Man it was a shock :D The level of enjoyment it brought me over and above my previous experiences was something just incredible.. I've literally never looked back since, and cant remember the last time I drove against AI.

Best thing is the people too. Going into a public server race can sometimes give me a good experience (although all too rare) but it's getting on TS with all the banter that really makes it such an enjoyable experience for me. The people are a laugh, they help me out with stuff I can't work out like settings and things, and it just all makes for a genuinely great experience. Plus usually the racing is far far far better than in public servers and 99.9% of the time I can get myself involved in a group of drivers fighting for position. It's really good fun mate, I totally recommend it to you :)

Great turn out so far for tomorrows EU Rookie race at Silverstone National - http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...e-live-stream-wednesday-march-15-2017.132985/

Server one is full with 24 cars and server two is filling up quickly :) Excellent news. Just remember guys, if you want to sign up for a spot in the race please remember to visit the link above and leave a message saying you want in :)

For you guys outside the EU and unable to make the event due to time zones, please note we have a US server up and running with the same combination on Monday 20th!

Link here - http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...one-monday-march-20-2017.133087/#post-2423389

The grid is filling up nice now and it would be great to see more of our American friends out on track with us, be it rookies or more experienced racers... the grid is filling up nicely but we'd love to see another full field of 24 cars :) Come on guys, don't let the US get outshone by our EU drivers, RaceDepartment needs you!!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back