RaceDepartment New Website Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceDepartment.com will be down on Wednesday 30th October, as we look to bring a fresh new image to the largest sim racing website in the world.

Having undergone considerable growth and change in the last decade and a bit, we feel the time is right to take our website to the next level of presentation and functionality. On the evening of Wednesday 30th October (approx 22:00 UTC) we will close access to www.racedepartment.com for much of the night, as we upload and launch our brand new website!

We anticipate access will be restricted for around 12 hours, but if you still need that essential sim racing fix, take the opportunity to check us out on our various Social Media platforms, which can be accessed via the below links.

See you all on the other side!

RaceDepartment Down.jpg

Yesterday I told 2 annoying thing, and +1 bad thing in new site.
On download section, if I want to download the preview pictures I can't do it, with right mouse button (local menu).

I must click on it, it will zoom to full screen, and then I can download.
But If I am in this "Zoom mode" I can't switch the preview pictures.
I can do it in the previous version of the site!!!!

For example somebody made 10 very beutiful preview pictures. I want to download it. I need 30 click (10*3) to download all the pictures. (3= 1 leftclick for zoom, 1 click to download, and 1 to close it)
On the previous version it takes only 20 click, and no need to positioning the mouse at the top right corner (onto the donwnload and close button....)
So every pic download takes at least 1,5 times click than the "old" site.

And I don't like that big purple T avatar.... Can I change the color? Or I must search for a good picture.

In urgency, please have pity for our old eyes .... I just feel pain in my eyes if I stay at RD forum for more than 5 minutes.

Fill those horrible greyish white broad spaces at the left and right with a background image or a darker background. That's really uncomfortable on a 21/9 monitor.... except displaying the window as it should appear on a tablet or smartphone.

Maybe I'll have a better idea and appreciation of this new look ... but for now, I really hate it due to this problem.
For the moment, it feels painful, icy and not attractive at all.

NB: a chance there are those avatar colors to modify this general too white look.

Hey there!

Since you renewed the look of the forum, I find it extremely difficult to scroll thorugh the download section trying just to filter out the titles. That was ways better in the old version, when the titles have been bold. Scrolling through now, it blends extremly bad with the other information. Would be great to get a version back where it's easier to read...

It's a placeholder image. Just upload one yourself.

Yes I know. The first letter of the usernames. But mine is purple, somebody's else has other color. It is a random color. I will be change to a good picture.

But not this is my main problem with the new look, rather than my 2 issues described at the bottom of the 4. page, and the more difficult picture download! :cry:

But I see the new improvements too, as I described before, and I discover new features from day to day.;)

Hey there!

Since you renewed the look of the forum, I find it extremely difficult to scroll thorugh the download section trying just to filter out the titles. That was ways better in the old version, when the titles have been bold. Scrolling through now, it blends extremly bad with the other information. Would be great to get a version back where it's easier to read...
It's on the suggestion list. Thanks for the feedback!

Hey RD team, just some more feedback:
When you have unread conversations, on the old site it was very obvious color-wise as to which were read and which were unread...right now I believe I see a color difference but the two colors are too close for it to be distinct.

Updated release of the style is now live. Some bugs are fixed, some functionality added.

Biggest visual changes: more width as requested, less blocks on the frontpage, more space in downloads mainpage and some coloring changes here and there.

More to come when time allows.

Thanks everybody for the genuine constructive feedback so far, keep it coming!

Overall I like the new look very much! The one thing I might add is when I search for a mod, skins, etc.. I find it very difficult to see what sim/ game the download applies to as the print is very small. If the text as to what the sim/ game download is for was BOLD, it would be a big help. Thanks.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.