RaceDepartment New Website Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceDepartment.com will be down on Wednesday 30th October, as we look to bring a fresh new image to the largest sim racing website in the world.

Having undergone considerable growth and change in the last decade and a bit, we feel the time is right to take our website to the next level of presentation and functionality. On the evening of Wednesday 30th October (approx 22:00 UTC) we will close access to www.racedepartment.com for much of the night, as we upload and launch our brand new website!

We anticipate access will be restricted for around 12 hours, but if you still need that essential sim racing fix, take the opportunity to check us out on our various Social Media platforms, which can be accessed via the below links.

See you all on the other side!

RaceDepartment Down.jpg

would be cool if you could add support for zip/rar/7z of small size (less than 1Mb or 512kb) to avoid to saturate RD servers. Because we need to rename archives as .TXT in order to join them to a post at the moment :whistling:
Why do humans reject change so quickly?
Personally I love it. Changing stuff is like having a break. It refreshes you and changes your expectations. Man, if you kept things the same all the time you'd be overtaken by all the other new things out there daring to be different and change the record.
I applaud it and welcome it with open arms.
at least your girlfriend/wife is aware now :roflmao:

This comment should not be taken as a gripe, but we already know our user base can be quite resistant to change, especially when it's change for changes sake. I'm not big on it either tbh.

The main area that will see change in the first instance will be the frontpage layout. It'll still predominantly be news but it will be a bit less 2010 wordpress. If you are someone who visits regularly you probably won't need to scroll at all any more to see all the new content there.

On the forum front, the software it's running is now approaching EOL and must be upgraded. It's a later version of the same software so while there are minor changes in how some things look the functionalty and workflows are basically the same. I don't think people have much to worry in that regard. It has a few small additions and omissions when compared against what we have now but most of the improvement is under the hood.

Why do humans reject change so quickly?
Personally I love it. Changing stuff is like having a break. It refreshes you and changes your expectations.
Personally, I absolutely hate the notion that people hate change that seems to be so prevalent on the internet lately. I don't think people hate change, not a meaningful group of them anyway. But people hate change for the worse, when things they were used to become needlessly complicated in favour of stylishness, or useful functionalities and features are removed for the sake of simplicity. Which has pretty much become synonymous with "redesign" in the past few years pretty much everywhere you look.

So when people say that "people hate change", they are basing that upon a skewed metric that means something else than they think it does (which, I guess, is also a common thing nowadays).

So I certainly hope RD is not going this route (and the above post by Bram - edit: and Dave now - certainly gives hope in that regard).

So RaceDepartment having a new UI before rFactor 3, before GTR 3 releases and before R3E makes its way into unReal Engine... Who would have thought!

As apparently we share the same time zone... can't wait to come here after work on Thursday to see the changes

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.