• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Race On first impressions

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by Mike Coleman, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Ariff Roose

Ariff Roose

Ratings:
    +0
    "COWABUNGA POWERSLIDES!"

Awesome!! What about the costs? Has it arrived on Steam? EXCITEDDDDDDDDD

2. Rob Simms

Rob Simms

Ratings:
    +4
    GAME is grrrrreatttttt.

Not try to give the Frosted Flake feeling. I think this game is put together very well. I'm having fun. It seems that there were some slight changes to the physic's since GTR EVO and the way the cars feel around the turns with the G25. It makes it feel more realistic.

3. Mike Coleman

Mike Coleman

Ratings:
    +2
    Well after having it a week now, I have some more observations:

Formula Master

Absolutely fantastic. Without a doubt, the best developer-made open wheel cars ever. Simply great racing. Very close, wheel-to-wheel action (at touring car speeds :) ).

There's no mod out there (released), for any sim, that even comes close. Really great job.

Lada 110s

My new favorite touring car. It's just a blast to drive. Not as slow as you might think and handles much better than a filing cabinet ;)

Combined with all the track updates and other content, this is a really fine release. Sure, I was hoping there would be another patch, but oh well.

I highly recommend this addon - especially if you do not own STCC yet. It's a great deal for the money.

4. William Yunck

William Yunck

Ratings:
    +28
    15 minute impression

The Lada is cool, and just like real life the dodge doesn't want to turn. The skins are high quality, and I didn't get to try the formula cars yet. One question though, why no templates? In my opinion, although I don't think the price is outrageous, I do think that you got more for your money with race 07 than with Race On. Only though if you did not allready have the expansion packs for race 07. If you didn't, it is a lot of content for 27 dollars.
    IMO, get it, it is a lot of fun times for under $30. You can't even do that at the pub. :)

5. nuropa

nuropa

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any time to play Race On, but I didn't like the main menu music with all the voices so that had to go, I replaced the mp3 file in Addons\RaceOn\GameData\Music folder with to STCC theme music.

Also I found that you can switch between menu skins STCC, GTR EvO and RaceOn by editing the game launch shortcut.

Race07.exe skin=raceon
    Race07.exe skin=gtrevo
    Race07.exe

not sure if these info are posted elsewhere or not.

6. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium

Ratings:
    +818
    Yes, and you can also skin custom menus by doing the same, I made a RD one time ago.

7. Damian Henderson

Damian Henderson

Ratings:
    +28
    I had a blast with challenger, some small tweaks and it was hell fun!

8. Eric. K

Eric. K

Ratings:
    +112
    How is that possible? Race '07 on Steam is $19.99

Race ON on Amazon is $27.xx which has Race07+STCC... how can Race'07 be a better value? ???

9. Damian Henderson

Damian Henderson

Ratings:
    +28
    You can get GTR Evo + Race07 for like £10-£14 over here at some places, it was even £5 special offer at one shop for a week A little while back. :neutral:

10. Damian Henderson

Damian Henderson

Ratings:
    +28
    Anyway to get to the point, I don't think Race On offers that much more. I honestly thought Race On was going to be the whole package, which incluced Race07, Evo + the new stuff in Race on.

11. Rob Every

Rob Every

Ratings:
    +115
    Agreed Damian, and I thought Polyphony were the masters at offering "new" games for very little extra.

We have one or two new tracks, cars that are pretty much the saem as the Camaro in STCC and a rejigged couple of WTCC cars that one is exactly the same but with diff sounds and graphics and slight pyhsics changes.

As I say, Polyphony are past masters of this with GT, offering very little new stuff for full prices.

If the Yank stuff, new WTCC cars and SuperL are only a tenner or so I will buy, but for 20 quid forget, it, not enough new stuff to warrant that.

On to driving, the V8's feel okay, they dont slide that easily and if you do its slow! Simbins physics with rwd are not quite there, hence most peoples inability to go real fast in a 3 series in the main game apart from aliens.

Same here, these cars feel wallowy, which is fine and realistic, and you can prod the tail out, bt doesnt somehow feel right! Same as GT Legends whicg is where we came by offering "new" games dressed up in nice clothes!

12. Joe Stalans

Joe Stalans

Ratings:
    +0
    I only had GTR Evo. I love getting STCC,, Camaro cup, v8's, and ESPECIALLY the Formula Masters. I LOVE racing these cars. My new favorite of all sims right now. Can actually "race" with the AI and accidently bump tires lightly without making the car jump 20 feet in the air. The 08 tracks do look great. Best Laguna of any sim out there imho.

13. Mike Coleman

Mike Coleman

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes it really is a great deal for those that did not get STCC yet. A lot of content in this release for a small price.

14. dr_repo

dr_repo

Ratings:
    +0
    I gota say, my frame rate has improved with this install of Race on. Don’t know what they have done, but I now get smoother game play and much better replay frame rate. During a race (offline) I get 85-110 fps. Replays are at 70Fps.

15. Kalen Johnson

Kalen Johnson

Ratings:
    +0
    So is it possible to get the GTR Evo content into Race On if you own both? Seems like a waste of GTR Evo if you can't...

16. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,067
    It merges nicely when you buy the expansion! RACE 07, STCC, GTR Evo and On will go all into the same folder

17. Kalen Johnson

Kalen Johnson

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah alright, awesome. I was waiting for Race On to get the STCC content...

18. Peter

Peter
    who cares

Ratings:
    +669
    I have been racing the Formula Masters for an hour and they are great, without the helmed. They even move there fingers when they are shifting gear. All the Mods and Ad-on tracks still work, so a think Simbin did a very good job.

19. GAIAjohan

GAIAjohan

Ratings:
    +274
    I'm using STCC menu skins etc cuz I hate the Race On 'music'. But now I also have Race On music in the STCC menus :(

20. Frank Herfjord

Frank Herfjord

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow Formula Masters feel real nice. When is the league starting?!?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.