Race On first impressions

Since no one else has posted one, I'll give it a shot.

Installation and Backup

The Race On DVD is a 2 disk set.

Even though all my other Race content was purchased directly from Steam, the install went just fine. I had Steam running and chose Online Install.

You get option to install Race 07, STCC, and Race On. I unchecked Race 07 and STCC (since I already have them) and installed Race On.

The install saw that I had Steam running and once I entered the CD key, it told me I had successfully integrated it with my Steam account.

*Tip*

Even though you've installed from DVD, once it's integrated with your Steam account, you can then use the Steam backup feature to backup ALL your content including Race On. You won't need the DVD again to re-install.

Track Updates

All the tracks for the 2008 season have been updated and have their own menu section. You now have 2006, 2007, and 2008 WTCC tracks.

Most of the "updates" seem to be graphical instead of actual track layout changes, except Imola. But the "new" tracks do look wonderful. Much nicer than the 2007 and 2006 versions.

New Tracks

Road America, Laguna Seca, Okayama. What can I say? They rock! :)

New Cars

US Muscle Race Cars.
They are great fun. They handle just like you would expect them to: big, massive, Yank tanks that slide all over the place. Lots of power with suspect handling ;)

Some of you might say they "drift" too much. I don't believe "drift" would be the right word. I would call it "super aswesome cowabunga power slides" :D

US Muscle Production Cars.
Same as above but street versions.

Formula Master.
Simply great! Sure they're not as fast as F3000, but they are really great fun to drive. Close races like touring cars (and about the same speed) but in open wheel goodness :)

WTCC 2008.
Seat TDI and Lada.....You know the rest.

Really great addition to the Race series. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a 9 :shock:

If you have any questions, feel free to post them :)

GAME is grrrrreatttttt.

Not try to give the Frosted Flake feeling. I think this game is put together very well. I'm having fun. It seems that there were some slight changes to the physic's since GTR EVO and the way the cars feel around the turns with the G25. It makes it feel more realistic.

Well after having it a week now, I have some more observations:

Formula Master

Absolutely fantastic. Without a doubt, the best developer-made open wheel cars ever. Simply great racing. Very close, wheel-to-wheel action (at touring car speeds :) ).

There's no mod out there (released), for any sim, that even comes close. Really great job.

Lada 110s

My new favorite touring car. It's just a blast to drive. Not as slow as you might think and handles much better than a filing cabinet ;)

Combined with all the track updates and other content, this is a really fine release. Sure, I was hoping there would be another patch, but oh well.

I highly recommend this addon - especially if you do not own STCC yet. It's a great deal for the money.

15 minute impression

The Lada is cool, and just like real life the dodge doesn't want to turn. The skins are high quality, and I didn't get to try the formula cars yet. One question though, why no templates? In my opinion, although I don't think the price is outrageous, I do think that you got more for your money with race 07 than with Race On. Only though if you did not allready have the expansion packs for race 07. If you didn't, it is a lot of content for 27 dollars.
IMO, get it, it is a lot of fun times for under $30. You can't even do that at the pub. :)

• nuropa

I haven't had any time to play Race On, but I didn't like the main menu music with all the voices so that had to go, I replaced the mp3 file in Addons\RaceOn\GameData\Music folder with to STCC theme music.

Also I found that you can switch between menu skins STCC, GTR EvO and RaceOn by editing the game launch shortcut.

Race07.exe skin=raceon
Race07.exe skin=gtrevo
Race07.exe

not sure if these info are posted elsewhere or not.

I haven't had any time to play Race On, but I didn't like the main menu music with all the voices so that had to go, I replaced the mp3 file in Addons\RaceOn\GameData\Music folder with to STCC theme music.

Also I found that you can switch between menu skins STCC, GTR EvO and RaceOn by editing the game launch shortcut.

Race07.exe skin=raceon
Race07.exe skin=gtrevo
Race07.exe

not sure if these info are posted elsewhere or not.

Yes, and you can also skin custom menus by doing the same, I made a RD one time ago.

Agreed Damian, and I thought Polyphony were the masters at offering "new" games for very little extra.

We have one or two new tracks, cars that are pretty much the saem as the Camaro in STCC and a rejigged couple of WTCC cars that one is exactly the same but with diff sounds and graphics and slight pyhsics changes.

As I say, Polyphony are past masters of this with GT, offering very little new stuff for full prices.

If the Yank stuff, new WTCC cars and SuperL are only a tenner or so I will buy, but for 20 quid forget, it, not enough new stuff to warrant that.

On to driving, the V8's feel okay, they dont slide that easily and if you do its slow! Simbins physics with rwd are not quite there, hence most peoples inability to go real fast in a 3 series in the main game apart from aliens.

Same here, these cars feel wallowy, which is fine and realistic, and you can prod the tail out, bt doesnt somehow feel right! Same as GT Legends whicg is where we came by offering "new" games dressed up in nice clothes!

I only had GTR Evo. I love getting STCC,, Camaro cup, v8's, and ESPECIALLY the Formula Masters. I LOVE racing these cars. My new favorite of all sims right now. Can actually "race" with the AI and accidently bump tires lightly without making the car jump 20 feet in the air. The 08 tracks do look great. Best Laguna of any sim out there imho.

• dr_repo

I gota say, my frame rate has improved with this install of Race on. Don’t know what they have done, but I now get smoother game play and much better replay frame rate. During a race (offline) I get 85-110 fps. Replays are at 70Fps.

I have been racing the Formula Masters for an hour and they are great, without the helmed. They even move there fingers when they are shifting gear. All the Mods and Ad-on tracks still work, so a think Simbin did a very good job.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back