F1 2011 Questions from a driver learning no assist racing

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm a returning driver to F1 2011 on the Xbox 360 but this time around I'm looking to try and learn and practice no assist racing.

One problem I am constantly facing is every time I just press my Microsoft wireless pedals the wheels just Instantly lock up. Is there any way of correcting this, either in game settings or driving style.

Also with the microsoft wheel it seems that my steering input isn't lining up with what the in game wheel is displaying, I.e. if I turn the Microsoft wheel 90 degrees left from its horizontal position the in game wheel is actually showing something like 110 degrees left. Will this be an issue for my corner entry etc and if so is there a way of getting a 1:1 steering ratio?

With regards to learning new tracks and location of corners and braking points etc is it a good idea to run a few laps with the breaking line on to learn this information or do people here use a different method of learning a new track.

Thank you in advance

Hi ya Ejike, I'm happy that you are finding some help from my thread and I'm glad to see another member trying to learn no-assist racing :).

I've not had much chance to practice due to the Euros so it's still a work in progress for me. I think my biggest issue at the minute is learning the tracks and braking points but that will hopefully improve with time and plenty of practice.

When learning a new track this is how I go about it, the first thing I do is to study a track map and try to get a picture of it in my mind so I know roughly whats coming up. Next I turn tyre and fuel sims off this way I can do as many laps as I want all with same amount of grip and same balance to the car, it also helps that I don't have to pit every few laps. I lap until I have a decent pace and feel for the track. I then go back to my track map and break the lap into sections (not sectors!) sometimes this might be one or two corners sometimes more, most tracks have natural points where you can divide them up. Back to the track map and with the knowledge I've gained already I look more closely at the options open regards lines, and identify critical areas for lap time. I then continue lapping as before but pushing hard in my first "section" until I'm happy with it. I Then move to my second "section" and so on untill I'm pushing the whole lap. I usually do this in one session the time it takes varies track to track. My next session will be with tyre and fuel sims on, prime tyres and usually 30 laps of fuel, I will then lap until the tyres are shot or I know for sure I need to change something. NOTE unless you are absolutely 100% sure about something don't start messing around with set-up until you have tried changes to your driving and you are 100% sure it's not YOU that is upsetting the car. Once I'm lapping CONSISTANTLY and I'm happy with my pace I will then start looking at set up changes. ONE change at a time (as I've mentioned before, read Davids guide and follow it) by the end of this session I would expect to have the track nailed and my set-up sorted. Session 3, I switch to options and low fuel, final check on gearing and enjoy myself hotlapping. I then do a couple of 50% races (socials at web site I race, if none available will use open lobbies but best avoided) Next up I start from scratch with wet weather.....
Extra note, if you have the capability to record your sessions you'll find it invaluable, as you can watch it back and be your own critic. It's surprising how often you can watch yourself and think EG. I'm no where near the edge of the track when I turn in there or I missed the apex by a mile, yet while you were driving you didn't notice!
Another great help can be youtube, you can watch different style/lines etc to get ideas for you to try.
Again, hope you find something that helps you

Cheers Steve, that helped alot and gives me something to work with. I'm currently trying to learn malaysia and so far the best i can do is a 1:37.580 with a Williams with a set-up.

I'm gonna try your approach mate and also do some extra homework by watching videos as well and try to get the track ingrained in my mind, like ya say, and hopefuly things will start to improve.

I found Malaysia to be a frustrating track until you unlock it's secrets so to speak, once you "get it" its great. It's also a great track to learn how to brake and corner at same time, once you get this right trail braking becomes second nature. I'll give you a clue to it, try to find as many straight lines as you can.

Some great info here lads, I also learning to race with no assists, i am use i microsoft wheel on the xbox. i was wondering if anyone would like to share the advanced wheel setup?
Much appricated...
Ps. no traction control is a killer, Have the no line kinda of sorted now though :D

Great thread here, long time no assists driver but always good to read others thoughts and views on how they approach their racing. Never too old to learn as far as I am concerned.

Why not sign up for the RD Xbox League Steve? Spaces still open and with the two weekly schedule plenty of opportunity to get some good driving experience in the various races set up each week.

Thank for the reply Peter.

With regards to league racing I was contemplating on the GP2/3 league possibly but will have to see how I get on with dropping the braking line assist as I've not had much practice time lately but this will hopefully improve from next week onwards :)

Taking the racing line off has been the hardest thing to live with, but in the league we're not allowed it. It's good for learning the track, but some breaking points are too soon and slows you down. For my practice I only use the line for the fun series then from Monday I'll have it off, start off slow around the track then getting faster and faster once used to a track.

Thank you for the complement mate, I really appreciate that.

I'm gonna work hard on dropping the braking line assist starting Monday and it I can get up to speed so to speak then I'll definately put my name down as a reserve :)

Thank you for the complement mate, I really appreciate that.

I'm gonna work hard on dropping the braking line assist starting Monday and it I can get up to speed so to speak then I'll definately put my name down as a reserve :)

How's it been going Steve?

Have you had a chance to practice no assists?

I've been practicing without assist but use TCS when racing in club or league. Everything else remains off.
I was reading somewhere else on the RD forums that set-ups have little meaning when you use assists (I think it might have been the advanced drivers guide by David O'Reilly), I'll get back to you on that one.

So I'm trying to get my set up right without assists and get some traction that way. Hopefully that should help too.

I've also played with the set up on my wheel and reduced the throttle sensitivity. It might not be the best idea but I need all the help I can get at the moment.

Hey Ejike, it's going slowly at the moment due to covering the evening driver at work as his off sick so I'm working some long hours at the minute but he should be back next week so I can crack on with my practice again.

I'm starting to get the hang of the throttle control now which is helping alot so it's more about learning the braking points now and correct gearing for the corners.

If you fancy running some practice sessions anytime then feel free to add me mate.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back