F1 2011 Questions from a driver learning no assist racing

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm a returning driver to F1 2011 on the Xbox 360 but this time around I'm looking to try and learn and practice no assist racing.

One problem I am constantly facing is every time I just press my Microsoft wireless pedals the wheels just Instantly lock up. Is there any way of correcting this, either in game settings or driving style.

Also with the microsoft wheel it seems that my steering input isn't lining up with what the in game wheel is displaying, I.e. if I turn the Microsoft wheel 90 degrees left from its horizontal position the in game wheel is actually showing something like 110 degrees left. Will this be an issue for my corner entry etc and if so is there a way of getting a 1:1 steering ratio?

With regards to learning new tracks and location of corners and braking points etc is it a good idea to run a few laps with the breaking line on to learn this information or do people here use a different method of learning a new track.

Thank you in advance

Hi Steve welcome on board mate. If you are a bit rusty with a few tracks then your right to use the braking line. Do GP mode short weekend and get as many Laps in as possible in practice using the braking line and check the braking markers on track in accordance to when you brake. You'll pick it up really quickly.

As regards the wheel, in advance wheel settings everything should be set to 0 except braking deadzone should be 3. I'm sure Ben will confirm this anyway.

Start adding a few friends request we are always on at some stage practicing;)

regarding the wheel on screen not lining up with the wheel in your hands: from what i understand there is no way to get them to sync up properly. I recently switched from chase view to cockpit view and it was the first thing i noticed. the best thing to do is just try to ignore it. besides, you shouldn't be looking at your hands or the cockpit drivers hands... you should be looking up the road and at the apex :)

Cheers for all the help guys, it's really appreciated.

I'll try those settings out today and run some more practice laps with the brake line on to help learn the tracks and braking points hopefully lol.

Ben have done any of the mentioned mods to the microsoft wheels?

I read somewhere that a guy sliced a squash ball and put it under his brake pedal in wet conditions.

Also I think that WET TT is a great training ground for no assists.
Practice an inverse correlation between throttle and steering lock.
IE less Throttle with more lock, More throttle with less lock as if a string tied to the bottom of your wheel and throttle pulls your throttle pedal up. (Walter Rorhl).
Have fun and come and race in RD Xbox

Hey there David. I've actually done the squash mod and it's currently under my brake pedal at the minute and so far it does seem to help improve the pedal.

I'll try and do a TT in wet conditions mate and try to improve my throttle and brake application as that is something that I definately need to work on no that I'm dropping all the assists.

I'm also definately looking forward to participating in some some RD races but think I need to put some more practice in lol.

Great stuff Steve,
and dont be too worried about needing super pace.
In the club section we post regular races called Pro Ams where its just for fun and exp. We give the fastest cars (2011 perf) to the "developing drivers" and the guns get issued the slower ones.
We will often have a gap of 2-3 sec or more in lap time.

Its in the League section where it gets more serious and even there we have 4 different grids on standards and assist levels

I don't think putting something under your break pedal will help tho. Sometimes I push the breaks to 100% even in the WET. Actually, I do it rarely even on the DRY, but there are times when you need and can floor it. Anyways, just try to be careful with it. It's simple as that. :)

Hey Kristian, I've just run some laps this evening without having the cut down squash ball under my brake pedal and it definately seemed to improve my braking ability on the cars as before with the squash ball mod in place i had a tendency to lock the wheels whereas i wasnt doing that this evening.

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm agreeing with most of what's been advised above and for what it's worth I'll throw my suggestions in.

1. Pedals. in my opinion a good brake pedal is the one piece of hardware that WILL improve your times. I think you're quite restricted on the Xbox but get best you can.
2. Steering wheel. no experience with one you have so can't comment specifically on the settings. Like car settings, theres no right and wrong, set it up to suit YOU and to feel right for YOU. the only setting I adjust is the steering Sat which I find track dependant. As stated above ignore the wheel on your screen you shouldn't be looking there anyway!
3. Racing/Braking line. I've seen many vids of people using this and to me it's not always the right line, I believe its actually the classroom "geometric" line used to take your standard fixed radius single bend, which isn't applicable in a lot of cases. I find it better to learn the track myself, before starting out study a track map and decide which are the important corners, where do you need good exit speed, where do you have to sacrifice a corner etc? Braking points are easilly found just brake later and later till you reach the entry point/speed you want, remember to adjust for fuel load and worn tyres
4. If you racing online, practice online and ALWAYS practice in the car you're going to use in the race.
5. Set ups. have very little impact on this game, find yourself a good base and stick with. For further help on this you can't go wrong with David's excellent guide.
6. How to go quicker. PRACTICE, then PRACTICE after that PRACTICE and finally when you've done that PRACTICE some more. Enter as many online races as you can and you'll soon pick your pace up.
Hope there is something in here that helps!

Thanks for the advice and tips Steve.

Like ya say i cant do alot about the wheel/pedal choice so i will make the best of what i've got :). I like the idea of studying a track map and i also try to watch a track video for that track as well. I'm currently reading Davids guide and its definately a great read so far and i'm finding it very helpful as well.

The rest of it, like ya say, is Practice, practice, practice and then for good measure a bit more practice :).

Hi Steve, I'm actually benefiting from the responses to your post. Thanks.

This week I've been trying to drive with no assist as I think it might help my control and finesse.

One thing that I've done (only in Sepang in heavy rain) was reduce the size of my brakes in the set up. For me it made a huge difference and I was able to complete a short GP weekend in heavy rain (only 20 per cent distance) , no assist, no locking up (unless I missed my braking point).

I will try Ben Herberts wheel setting as I have the same wheel.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back