• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Project CARS 3 | Developer Blog: Design And Physics

MetalMania

50RPM
Aug 27, 2017
But why then keep the live weather
How will we change tyres during a dry to wet race.
I think in one of the blogs they said the tire change is "automatic" - you just keep driving and the tire "changes" into wets and the dynamics just morph into what the physics/behaviour should be. Don't take that as an official statement - I just recall reading something like that and I think it came from one of the devs. So that may or may not be how it's actually handled.

At least they're not hiding what this game is. As much as I was hoping for something else, imagine if this was all kept quiet until it was released. I don't even doubt that it might be "fun", but I'm also 100% certain it could still drive "fun" and optionally include the things that have been removed. What they're doing here may in fact bring in a new audience, but it's definitely pushing off the audience they already had.

turbo86

100RPM
Feb 12, 2009
I think in one of the blogs they said the tire change is "automatic" - you just keep driving and the tire "changes" into wets and the dynamics just morph into what the physics/behaviour should be. Don't take that as an official statement - I just recall reading something like that and I think it came from one of the devs. So that may or may not be how it's actually handled.

At least they're not hiding what this game is. As much as I was hoping for something else, imagine if this was all kept quiet until it was released. I don't even doubt that it might be "fun", but I'm also 100% certain it could still drive "fun" and optionally include the things that have been removed. What they're doing here may in fact bring in a new audience, but it's definitely pushing off the audience they already had.
PC2 never had a specific audience and nowadays everybody's looking for something specific. Simracers hated it and arcade fans didn't find anything interesting about it. It was a mix of...nothing really. Not enough simulation....not enough fun. Like Gran Turismo but with less cars and weird tire physics.

What PC3 will offer is a package very similar to Forza Motorsport but i doubt it will have half as many vehicles. When SHIFT 2 was released Forza was still a console exclusive. Now it's on PC as well and that's why PC3 will probably fail.

Although i know i will have fun playing it,i still think they should have gone the FULL SIMULATION way. Yes there's ACC and all other excellent simulators but with improved FFB, tire physics etc.... they could at least compete.

TedBrosby-

75RPM
Premium
May 13, 2020
I didn't calculate a percentage you got the full 100% I.e. you were completely wrong by saying PCars had no goal of realism. How about this: utterly incorrect, completely, fully, thoroughly, absolutely. All relevant to the inaccuracy of your opinion.

Ah so we have the good old...."but only I can "feel" what's wrong with PC2 so it must be complete poop". Of course....

You don't think that PC2 is ultimatly unrealistic, so what was the condescending comment I initially responded to for?

It may have not been perfect, but it was definitely a sim.
Sadly I actually like PCars 2. Is it perfect enough for physical world drivers to use it in replacement of cancelled events? Probably not.
But is it realistic enough that the majority of courses and cars behave very close to realistic to the point that you can drive and use real driving skill to be competitive? Absolutely. And it does a lot of things better than AC/ACC IMO. I really enjoy the Career mode. And you need to do things like pit stops to change tire compounds for wet weather, fuel management for 30 minute or 40 minute races.
If I had to put a number on it, I'd say PCars 2 is like 85% as realistic as AC, but has like 300% of the cars, tracks and driving modes...

If you could only get one sim, and you wanted it to do a lot of things: offline mode, career mode, multiplayer, different types of cars (formula, rally, production models, GT4/3), like your go to "do anything and drive anything" sim, PCars 2 was a very viable sim for a wide type of play styles.

I wish they wouldn't gut it like this... I won't even bother with a demo to be honest.
Part of me wishes people would just shut up about iRacing when they review games like this. "But it's not better than iRacing!" Well yeah, it also costs like half the price of a year of iRacing and you get to own it forever and it comes with like 100 cars and 50 tracks. If iRacing had the price model PCars 2 had, it would be awful.

Damage Inc

1000RPM
Nov 22, 2013
Sadly I actually like PCars 2. Is it perfect enough for physical world drivers to use it in replacement of cancelled events? Probably not.
But is it realistic enough that the majority of courses and cars behave very close to realistic to the point that you can drive and use real driving skill to be competitive? Absolutely. And it does a lot of things better than AC/ACC IMO. I really enjoy the Career mode. And you need to do things like pit stops to change tire compounds for wet weather, fuel management for 30 minute or 40 minute races.
If I had to put a number on it, I'd say PCars 2 is like 85% as realistic as AC, but has like 300% of the cars, tracks and driving modes...

If you could only get one sim, and you wanted it to do a lot of things: offline mode, career mode, multiplayer, different types of cars (formula, rally, production models, GT4/3), like your go to "do anything and drive anything" sim, PCars 2 was a very viable sim for a wide type of play styles.

I wish they wouldn't gut it like this... I won't even bother with a demo to be honest.
Part of me wishes people would just shut up about iRacing when they review games like this. "But it's not better than iRacing!" Well yeah, it also costs like half the price of a year of iRacing and you get to own it forever and it comes with like 100 cars and 50 tracks. If iRacing had the price model PCars 2 had, it would be awful.
Well it does look like SMS have handed the baton to Reiza to make the Madness engine as sim as possible. It does make quite a bit of logical sense. I'm hoping the eventual car and track list for AMS2 will be close to what PCars offered. But then the more cars a game has the harder it is to tweak every one to make them as realistic as possible.

I don't think there's a home computer/console sim out there that doesn't fudge a lot of things to have the appearence of reality. Thing is when a gamer pushes those fudges to the limit they tend to break reality. Code that works perfect for FWD may make RWD feel a bit off and vice versa. One day we'll have PCs/consoles powerful enough to fully simulate reality, but even then there'll be guesswork regarding race cars old and new because teams don't publish or reveal every little detail. One erroeous number and a physics engine will throw up weirdness!!

tahzib

75RPM
Jun 29, 2013
i was hoping for AI doing pitstops, but instead they removed anything related to pits....
just great.....Codemasters bravo, u made pCARS into GRID....

MarcG

1000RPM
Premium
Jun 17, 2011
Right....ok.....uuummmm.....yeeeeaaaahhh, that's me 100% not buying this "product".

Follow RaceDepartment