PC2 Project CARS 2 Update 2.0 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Update 1.jpg

PlayStation 4 and PC versions of Project CARS 2 received a nice new update today, patching the game to build version 2.0 and adding plenty of fixes.

The new update follows relatively hot on the heels of the September 28th update and addresses plenty of the problem areas reported by the community since the game released, most notable of which would be the AI behavioural and race line improvements, hopefully going some way towards bringing the game AI up to speed and able to present a more respectable offline experience.

Other notable changes for this new patch include potential optimisation improvements to a number of the tracks within Project CARS 2, something that will come as a relief to a number of users who have reported less than ideal FPS returns between different circuit and atmospheric conditions.

No news is available as to the potential for an Xbox One update to the game, stay tuned for more on that at as and when it becomes available..

Build 2.0 Release Notes
  • Improved driving line assist.
  • Various AI behavioural and race line improvements.
  • Multiple improvements and enhancements to multiplayer, and lobby handling.
  • Improvements and enhancements to audio and sound effects.
  • Improvements and enhancements to replays and replay cameras.
  • USB keyboard support improved.
  • Improvements, enhancements and fixes to Career flow.
  • Enhancements to various cars’ handling and standard setup improvements.
  • Tweaks and fixes to Achievement / Trophy unlock logic.
  • Tweaks and fixes to setup UI and flow.
  • Improved default assists for gamepad users.
  • Fixes and improvements to headlights and brake lights.
  • Fixes and improvements to ICM appearance and functionality.
  • Improvements and enhancements to steering wheel support.
  • Fixes and improvements to certain weather / tyre combinations.
  • Optimisations to tracks across the game.
  • Myriad render and performance tweaks and improvements.

Project CARS 2 is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 now.

Project CARS 2 Update 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Update 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 Update 4.jpg

To take your Project CARS 2 experience to the next level, head over to our RaceDepartment Project CARS 2 sub forum and check out the community discussion. We have a place to download the latest Project CARS 2 mods, a brand new Racing Club. Head over, get involved and become part of the community today!

Happy with the new patch? What do you think of the game so far? How do the AI compare following build 2.0? Let us know below!

Last edited:
This patch seems to have improved the AI a bit but has magnified several big issues for me at least..... the SMS stored setups, whilst a good idea, are useless as the game will randomly load one for your session without telling you..... making any serious practice to edit setups completely pointless. If you return to the pits via the menu, it will also load a random setup for you....

Cars that drive perfectly well on Pcars 1, Ac and other games are frickin undrivable on this release.... I started a season pre patch and was doing well, post patch I may as well have no tyres on each session as that's the level of grip I had.

I'm glad I bought the game at a reduced price now and have decided to sell it and move on. I'll stick to F1 2017 for now and wait for GT sport. My Honest opinion for anyone looking to buy this, don't buy it yet, wait a few weeks and see if they manage to iron out the bugs, you'll end up tearing your hair out and stop playing it if you jump in too soon. The game itself is based on a fantastic idea, the execution of the final release was a bit poor and has tainted it. If you have already bought it, find a car and track that works and enjoy the puddles or snow, as that's all I can say works well, the volume of tracks and cars is a good stat but useless at this time.
I agree some of the cars felt different out of the box post patch, but arent broken...yes there are bugs like ever new release but nothing game breaking ive encountered after a 100hrs of game play. Also agree if your expecting a fully polished game at release (unrealistic expectation in todays gaming industry... sadly) I'd suggest holding holding off for a bit too.
I hope you read the the link I posted a few responses up in regards to tire temps before ditching it ?
Most games give you a very grippy cold tire to start and usually hit there optimal temp half way through the opening lap (user friendly) which is a bit unrealistic when you listen to rl drivers saying it takes 3-4 laps to get the tires up to optimal temps in most series.
I and I'am sure many others werent ready for this in-depth detail and quickly wrote it off as crappy physics and ffb because they were feeling a cold tire. From my testing when you hit the proper temps (approx. 32 psi range on slicks) the detail and grip is fantastic imo...ffb is subjective for each user.
I feel SMS have done an excellent job replicating the importance of getting the tires warmed up and maintaining them through out a race.....than you have to figure out how to manage them with constant track condition, driving line and weather changing just like the pros do.
Only rf2 offers this type of indepth detail....and iracing to a point minus the weather.

I guess the old myth that you cant have good graphics and physics together in a title can now be laid to rest. :)

Edit: I sound like bloody fan boy lol
So I just wanted to note that i am fan of all racing games and hope one day the devs can bury the hatch and collaborate to make one ultimate title as they all have certain aspects they do extremely well, rather than trying to compete in a niche market....which I feel is dividing the already small racing community.

Last edited:
I agree some of the cars felt different out of the box post patch, but arent broken...yes there are bugs like ever new release but nothing game breaking ive encountered after a 100hrs of game play. Also agree if your expecting a fully polished game at release (unrealistic expectation in todays gaming industry... sadly) I'd suggest holding holding off for a bit too.
I hope you read the the link I posted a few responses up in regards to tire temps before ditching it ?
Most games give you a very grippy cold tire to start and usually hit there optimal temp half way through the opening lap (user friendly) which is a bit unrealistic when you listen to rl drivers saying it takes 3-4 laps to get the tires up to optimal temps in most series.
I and I'am sure many others werent ready for this in-depth detail and quickly wrote it off as crappy physics and ffb because they were feeling a cold tire. From my testing when you hit the proper temps (approx. 32 psi range on slicks) the detail and grip is fantastic imo...ffb is subjective for each user.
I feel SMS have done an excellent job replicating the importance of getting the tires warmed up and maintaining them through out a race.....than you have to figure out how to manage them with constant track condition, driving line and weather changing just like the pros do.
Only rf2 offers this type of indepth detail....and iracing to a point minus the weather.

I guess the old myth that you cant have good graphics and physics together in a title can now be laid to rest. :)

Edit: I sound like bloody fan boy lol
So I just wanted to note that i am fan of all racing games and hope one day the devs can bury the hatch and collaborate to make one ultimate title as they all have certain aspects they do extremely well, rather than trying to compete in a niche market....which I feel is dividing the already small racing community.

I know about the tyres, I know how to warm them up etc and I've done some serious frigging about to find out what the issue was. The point for me now is, some cars are ok, some aren't and nothing's consistent. The setup issue is ridiculous, maybe it's confined to PS4? None of this is acceptable in my eyes at this time, which is why I sold it and moved on. For a game to be released and still feel like a beta after a few weeks is terrible, great idea, bad execution. I won't fall into the same trap again.

Hope the rest of your experiences are better.

I know about the tyres, I know how to warm them up etc and I've done some serious frigging about to find out what the issue was. The point for me now is, some cars are ok, some aren't and nothing's consistent. The setup issue is ridiculous, maybe it's confined to PS4? None of this is acceptable in my eyes at this time, which is why I sold it and moved on. For a game to be released and still feel like a beta after a few weeks is terrible, great idea, bad execution. I won't fall into the same trap again.

Hope the rest of your experiences are better.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were running the console version.
I've heard there a bit of a mess atm so I understand your frustration.

Watch some videos of the real thing to know how to drive it.

The FFB in this particular car in PC2 feels like coming from a game in the 1990's, the FFB is simple terrible and why I don't know cause the rest of the cars feels pretty awesome to me !

I bet a million that the real car's got better FFB and is a dream to drive IRL but it frankly suck in PC2 and it's a mystery to me that they overlooked this car when it comes to FBB ! ;)

Last edited:
The FFB in this particular car in PC2 feels like coming from a game in the 1990's, the FFB is simple terrible and why I don't know cause the rest of the cars feels pretty awesome to me !

I bet a million that the real car's got better FFB and is a dream to drive IRL but it frankly suck in PC2 and it's a mystery to me that they overlooked this car when it comes to FBB ! ;)
Watch some videos of the real thing to know how to drive it.

FYI: Watching a bunch of videos aint going to make the FFB any better ;)
It's really TERRIBLE with this car !
Not sure what type of feedback is expected from a vehicle built to break traction and slide side ways 99% of the time.....i am no street drifter but when I have got my vehicles sideways the only feedback I feel is a limp light wheel and my anus puckering up until I regain traction :D

First impressions here (on the PC):

+ general richness in features & content, surely the most ambitious racing title (ever) in this regard
+ cars generally feel suitably weighty with ok (but not amazing imo) FFB (having tested with a number of custom setups + the presets, T300RS here) and believable core characteristics
+ works ok in VR most of the time (with the exception of some odd graphics glitching/flashing) and is quite immersive indeed with reasonable performance (1070 GPU), both graphics and sound-wise
+ setup work is extensive and has a (car-to-car) authentic feel. (Have not really worked extensively with the setups so far)

- Car 'quality' (or believability, I should say) is, to me, quite inconsistent. For example, the 488 GTE feels very refined and nuanced, while cars such as the R89C feel very simplistic (and much exaggerated in terms of performance). Will have to test a few more cars in the GrC/GT1/LMP900 category (top priority here) to make more educated assessments. I'm open to good car suggestions and tips ;)
- Circuits are somewhat inconsistent as well, with the generational difference between PC1 tracks and the newer laser scanned ones quite apparent. Maybe fewer circuits (& cars) with more consistency would give this title even more value?
- Setup UI feels a bit unwieldly

Last edited:
First impressions here (on the PC):
- Car 'quality' (or believability, I should say) is, to me, quite inconsistent. For example, the 488 GTE feels very refined and nuanced, while cars such as the R89C feel very simplistic (and much exaggerated in terms of performance). Will have to test a few more cars in the GrC/GT1/LMP900 category (top priority here) to make more educated assessments. I'm open to good car suggestions and tips ;)
- Circuits are somewhat inconsistent as well, with the generational difference between PC1 tracks and the newer laser scanned ones quite apparent. Maybe fewer circuits (& cars) with more consistency would give this title even more value?
- Setup UI feels a bit unwieldly

I completely agree. The difference in content quality between new and content carried over from PC1 is huge. It's so evident original cars and tracks were barely touched.

I would rather have less content of the same quality than various generations put together just to raise numbers.

Not sure what type of feedback is expected from a vehicle built to break traction and slide side ways 99% of the time.....i am no street drifter but when I have got my vehicles sideways the only feedback I feel is a limp light wheel and my anus puckering up until I regain traction :D

I am no drifter either but that car just feels wrong regarding FFB IMHO !

I am enjoying Pcars 2 and I primarily purchased it for the offline racing it promises and I love the atmosphere of the whole thing. But the AI is woefully bad. Probably worse than any other race sim ever made at this point in my opinion. They are just not balanced, they don't learn, they ignore your presence and they are still crashing into each other at starts. I have only done GT3 and GTE class racing so far at Donnington, Silverstone, Imola, Daytona Road and Austin and the AI is bad at all of them. And what skill level to choose is a lottery at the moment. How could the Q&A testers have allowed this to be like it is? How could their AI developers have been happy with this?

I know quite a few members of the WMD forum are already asking for fixes for the AI balancing and corner cutting so hopefully SMS will be putting some work into this. And I think that it will take some time.

I do have hope though. This sim could be one of the best ever if they sort the AI out because I am genuinely really enjoying it but only for hot lapping at the moment. I can't comment on the MP side of things as I have not done any MP races yet.

ps, really impressed with the NSX Accura GT3 car. It feels great to me with immersive FFB setting. Really like that one. And I really think the external replay sounds need beefing up a bit more with some reverb too.
Second edit: The external replay sounds are crap. No bones about it. For an A class game they have got the replay sounds so very very wrong. @Ian Bell Do you have anything planned to fix the terrible external replay sounds?

Last edited:
I ran a couple of quick races online this weekend, hoping to do some testing of the link and get hands on with the interface before looking into the dedicated server side of it. I set up 2 races and had a friend setup a couple more, even though we both had checked the option to "fill in the field with AI" we actually never had any show up in game. Maybe a bug because we skipped qualifying?? Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Also had another bug where I crashed the Lotus 25 running a time trial at Silverstone Historic, even though I reset and restarted the session ,it never re-drew my left side wheel and tire that had gotten knocked off. The car handled fine but it was a graphical error.

Other than that the sim runs great for me and have had no real issues to speak of. Got a few profiles made for the Accuforce and using the raw in game FFB settings in conjunction with that, I have to say my FFB feels terrific, with great road feel and harmonics, I know exactly what the tires are doing at all times.

Try the MX5 Radbul ! and see if it feels as good as the rest of the cars ?
I did, after reading your complaints...
Now this is not the easiest or common car, it is explicitly made for mad drifting. I don't know how it feels IRL, but I can imagine it would be like the pCars version. A friend who is more into drifting (and has the skills IRL) likes it a lot.
I can enjoy it too, lowering the power helps to gain control if you just want to drive it fast, the wheel feels lighter than in most other cars (but can be adjusted on the fly if you want it to be stronger) and no, I really can't see/feel anything being off. I can feel exactly what the car does, often something that I don't want it to do. But the FFB is pretty informative.
I miss the exhaust flames it had in pCars1 though...:thumbsup:

Try the MX5 Radbul ! and see if it feels as good as the rest of the cars ?
I'd have to go with David Slute on this one, I have no idea what FFB should feel like on a drift car. I would suspect it is very light. I will eventually try it, but unlike the rest of the cars I have no real world reference or history to compare it to, so how this particular cars feels to me is irrelevant.

I did, after reading your complaints...
Now this is not the easiest or common car, it is explicitly made for mad drifting. I don't know how it feels IRL, but I can imagine it would be like the pCars version. A friend who is more into drifting (and has the skills IRL) likes it a lot.
I can enjoy it too, lowering the power helps to gain control if you just want to drive it fast, the wheel feels lighter than in most other cars (but can be adjusted on the fly if you want it to be stronger) and no, I really can't see/feel anything being off. I can feel exactly what the car does, often something that I don't want it to do. But the FFB is pretty informative.
I miss the exhaust flames it had in pCars1 though...:thumbsup:

I'm not a drifter but I am going to take the car for a spin now after the last update and see how it feels !

Thanks M8 ;)

• Deleted member 99238

It has been a week since my message in this topic about the wheel in the cockpit, but no serious reaction from the SMS has ever followed, except for the very vague message of its director. I already found three cars with this problem:
ACURA NSX GT3
01b72d5b255f.jpg

AUDI R8 LMS GT3
277ad0457f6b.jpg

LAMBORGHINI HURACAN SUPER TROFEO
311baf4cccbb.jpg

To compare the cockpit of the same cars in the Assetto Corsa:
AUDI R8 LMS GT3
9d585c4f8722.jpg

LAMBORGHINI HURACAN SUPER TROFEO
f4f35dc5bf83.jpg

Probably the number of cars with such a problem is greater, I was not looking.
Having studied a large number of video materials, I came to the conclusion that this can also be connected with the virtual reality technology that is used in the game. The same problem can be observed in the Assetto Corsa video with VR:

VR Off:

VR On:

Perhaps this is due to the points of view of the left and right eyes that are used for VR technology. For conventional monitors, for some reason, only the viewpoint of one eye is used, and this explains the sensation of the wrong position of the wheel in the cockpit. Why do developers keep silent about this problem and tell us some tales about their particular reality and why do they convince us all that this is correct? The problem is either deliberately silenced or simply ignored. I want to make this game only better. In any case, I would like to hear some explanations from the developers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Newproto
I reported 40 cars with offset steering wheels (left and right) at the official pCars forum. After about a dozen pages the topic was closed. The offset was supposedly intended to match reality (which could fly for some cars, but not for all of them.
When you look down in the cockpit (I have virtual wheel disabled), some of the cars have the wheel base angled left or right, but some have it straight, but offset. And this can never match the real car.
But don't get your hopes high, because I was told it was not going to change.
Again, you can adjust with Ctrl-K and then using a or e (on my keyboard) to match, but the settings are not saved and you have to do it each time you use the specific car.
Not a decision I like, but I can live with it.
On the other hand the World Movement settings are totally off and that is something that is been discussed right now and I fear they are not going to change that either. :(

• Deleted member 99238

Fanapryde, I read your message at the beginning of this topic.
I understand you perfectly, but I just can not understand what I see in the cockpits in this game. This is contrary to common sense and very far from reality.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.