Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo Smashes Nordschleife Lap Record

Good to see

But Stefan drive on a bumpy Nordschleife track... today it is flat and easy than the 80,s track
Stefan had no flippers for gear on his wheel but old school gearing!

But good drive and nice ti see it :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 113561

It's like if in cycling somebody would beat the record of the Alpe d'Huez climb with an electric engine in the bicycle.
Then it is not a bicylce anymore but a motorbike - thats how the law sees them above a certain speed!

As non homologated the car is, it is irrelevant as lap record itself is not, we only got Porsche's timing after all :rolleyes:.

It just shows how racing regulations could be sometimes quite a burden (no need to mention jelly ACO regulations which change more than we can count, or GT BOP), just look at Ferrari XX cars.

Those regulations looks like to drag engineers down allowing bad ones to dream of winning and sometimes actually win races, and it's lead to less technological improvement in the long run than it used to be (remember those crazy F1 cars ? Six wheels, huge rearwing, and many crazy things :D)

Congrats to Porsche and Timo, how long this record will last ?

As non homologated the car is, it is irrelevant as lap record itself is not, we only got Porsche's timing after all :rolleyes:.

It just shows how racing regulations could be sometimes quite a burden (no need to mention jelly ACO regulations which change more than we can count, or GT BOP), just look at Ferrari XX cars.

Those regulations looks like to drag engineers down allowing bad ones to dream of winning and sometimes actually win races, and it's lead to less technological improvement in the long run than it used to be (remember those crazy F1 cars ? Six wheels, huge rearwing, and many crazy things :D)

Congrats to Porsche and Timo, how long this record will last ?
Well Misha Charoudin timed both laps from under the bridge from hearing the car hit the kerb and got a 5:25 and a 5:20

Bellof's record still stands. This Porsche is not an homologated race car.

It's like if in cycling somebody would beat the record of the Alpe d'Huez climb with an electric engine in the bicycle. :whistling:

All former records of any kind still stands. There are records for homologated cars of all kinds of classes and there are records of "unregulated" cars as Porsche has just broken. There will always be differences in track conditions, track layout, weather, technical advances, …

What counts today is that Porsche has broken the Nordschleife record. I love what they have done and NOTHING what Porsche has done takes away in any kind from the record Stefan Bellof has incredibly pulled off at a racing weekend.

@RasmusP - I did not bash the car. It is an engineering masterpiece. That said, I doubt any F1/LMP designer would do worse than Porsche with the same resources and design freedom.

What I found most remarkable is that the major structure and design of the car Porsche has used to break this record if based of the homologated Porsche 919 hybrid LMP1 H car they have raced very successfully.

This record car is NOT an all out no compromise dream car the likes of Adrian Newey could come up with to purpose design to break the Nordschleife record. Timo Bernhard is not a superhuman jet fighter pilot Über-Mensch who has been genetically designed and lab-created to break the Nordschleife record.

There has been taken a homologated race car, it has been modified with limited budget and restrictions by the existing vehicle and a factory driver has driven the car.

What Porsche has accomplished is amazing and I love them for it. They must feel proud - everyone of the entire team. Amazing job done.

The one thing that really impressed me the most (right after the unimaginable corner speeds, the out of this world acceleration and the top speeds at even the shortest of straights all around the track) is the extremely violent forces the pilot was exposed to - watch Timo Bernhard getting thrown around the cockpit and his violent body movements clearly influencing his steering movements at speeds well above 350 km/h through the bridge through Tiergarten and into the breaking zone - THAT looked violent and he surely will feel that record lap for a few days.

1: Track surface and curbs anno 2018 are in no way comparably to the bumby surface and non-forgiving curbs as of during the WSC 1983 1000km weekend. I can say that 'cause I've actually driven Touristfahren in 1982 and 2010, '11, '13, '14 and '16 (think the surface has even improved just since '10).
2: Bellof's record was set in competition qualification with restrictions, while this lap is set without any technical boundaries.
3: A 1983 2.65 L turbocharged Flat-6 anno vs. a 2018 non-homologated hybrid car.
4: The 6:11,13 will be remembered forever.
5: Still Timo Bernhard and Porsche anno 2018 delivers a heck of a show-off.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.