Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo Smashes Nordschleife Lap Record

I know, but people say 919 Evo, while Porsche say 919 Tribute
Now I wanted to know and checked on the official Porsche website:
LINK
Headline is:
5:19,55 Minuten – Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo holt Rekord

So they call it evo but the livery says tribute... And they call themselves "German". Definitely not typically German to be that inconsistent! :rolleyes::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
I don't bash the car either, but it's like a just retired pole vaulter would jump "world records" with a meter longer pole.
Huh? I never thought that the poles were of a regulated length (and google doesn't think so either). The key thing with pole vaulting is running fast enough - the kinetic energy from your running speed directly translates into height (potential energy). So I reckon you could give a retired pole vault a ten meter pole and it wouldn't make them jump any higher ;) :p

Huh? I never thought that the poles were of a regulated length (and google doesn't think so either). The key thing with pole vaulting is running fast enough - the kinetic energy from your running speed directly translates into height (potential energy). So I reckon you could give a retired pole vault a ten meter pole and it wouldn't make them jump any higher ;) :p
Just made me read up on pole vaulting, lol. And yeah, the poles vary massively!:roflmao:

Congrats to Porsche and Timo, how long this record will last ?

I think it depends on if an F1 team decides to get an itch to one up Porsche. I doubt Audi will try to make a super R18. Red Bull F1 seems like a team that would try to do it, but I don't know if the Nurburgring has to allow it first. It may only want a German team like Mercedes to hold the record. I'd love to see the Pikes Peak VW give it a go, but I don't think it beats the record as Nord has MUCH longer straights than Pikes and I don't think the VW has enough juice to last that long on the straights.

So outside a modern F1 car, this record may stand for another 35 years.

I think it depends on if an F1 team decides to get an itch to one up Porsche. I doubt Audi will try to make a super R18. Red Bull F1 seems like a team that would try to do it, but I don't know if the Nurburgring has to allow it first. It may only want a German team like Mercedes to hold the record. I'd love to see the Pikes Peak VW give it a go, but I don't think it beats the record as Nord has MUCH longer straights than Pikes and I don't think the VW has enough juice to last that long on the straights.

So outside a modern F1 car, this record may stand for another 35 years.

No F1 team will do it, the money to develop the car would be god knows but more than it takes to compete currently in F1....

I think F1 car is still faster. Before you read my msg note that I really do not compare me to real race drivers no way, but I know i'm quite fast in the real track also so I think they are just humans too. Everyone can learn to drive fast. I'm just a sim racer, fast one.

I did 5 min 17 sec with old F1 car (Assetto Corsa), very carefully driven lap because I just wanted a clean lap for live recording...so this one done with basic setup and is not the best possible record. Because I can drive this fast in simulator so for the real race driver under 5 minutes is possible with F1 car, thought, but the driver must be maniac. Also notice that my top speed was something like 320 km/h so I may lost many seconds for that. If I remember correctly I also did under 5 minutes many years ago with Simbin simulator but as said that was years ago and the car was maybe sligthly modified.

Video:

A real F1 drivers never have any change to do this in real life because their contracts not allow this kind of maniac. Michael Schumacher did lap with Mercedes F1 just before his accident 2013 and his lap time was something like 7 minutes plus. It was so slow lap because he did not even try to do a good time, but he just enjoy the track.

For me that Porsche's lap looks good and so clean and nice but the speed is not so incredible because I can drive faster in simulator, that's because my eyes and brains are accustomed to handle that kind of speed…

So i'm looking forward lap times starting with number 3, that's fast ;)

I think we're reaching a point now - and isn't that brilliant? - where the machine can do more than the human inside. I'm sure technically and mechanically there are a few seconds more to pick. but going that flat out on such a tight and unsafe track requires the most massive balls short of the IOM gladiators.

I'm of the opinion this particular achievement was Timo doing a 5:19, not the car - building a car to do it is something we've been able to do for decades and honestly given this is not a homologated car we could build one *much* faster, but watching the in-car as a real driver rather than a simracer is mindboggling. Watching another race driver watching it was telling too, what with the wide eyes...

No F1 team will do it, the money to develop the car would be god knows but more than it takes to compete currently in F1....

I think a 2017 or 2018 F1 car with Super Softs could beat that time with low fuel. No development needed, aside from a setup that can be generated from the simulators.

An incredible achievement by a very brave driver, thanks for Porsche for even considering this project in the first place :inlove:

The onboard video is very impressive. I watched it twice, mainly because I wasn't really watching the cockpit camera the first time around, it's only then you realise just how brutal and bumpy this circuit is. When you see Timo's head and body being thrown around. I would imagine a handful of laps was more than enough for one day! :laugh::)

It's also incredible his precision, making sure he avoids all the high kerbing, something you could get away with in a sim but not in real life.

Yes a modern F1 car could probably beat this laptime, but not my much I would imagine. The biggest issue the F1 car will have is the track surface. All the modern teams that have done demonstration runs here in the past have all said the suspension isn't designed to cope with a bumpy circuit like the Nords. However yes they could probably modify the car to cope.

The Porsche (and LMP's in particular) are more designed to cope with things like bumpy street circuits, Le Mans is pretty bumpy in places too.

Anyway, I'm a sportscar fan and I prefer the looks and sounds of the Porsche over a modern F1 car anyway! :laugh::thumbsup:

Record are made to be broken, and I appreciate that some team are working on that and just not "racing".
This is another kind of sports car racing , but also very challenging and interesting.
As Dragster and Speed attempt are also interesting.

Congratulation to the Porsche team for building this wonderful car, and even more at the pilot which is brave enough to drive the car at such speed at the nordschleife.
The driving line is about perfect, with minimal braking . Fantastic drive.

I think a 2017 or 2018 F1 car with Super Softs could beat that time with low fuel. No development needed, aside from a setup that can be generated from the simulators.

If they wanted to do that at the Ring they would need at least a few dozen litres of fuel onboard remember these cars are able to do about 105kg of fuel for 200 miles so about 1.9kg per mile at racing speed so consider that, I cant work out the litres and stuff its a bit of a headache since the fuel density is well not known to me

This car is a monster! Saying that, I personally feel that everything this car achieves in normal races are somewhat artificial. This is the same car that beaten the F1 SPA lap record yeah? They say what the car can do when "unleashed"... meaning there are limiting factors or programs in it's computer system in use during endurance races just to keep it legal. So all they have to do is dial it down to legal limits, and they are still on top of everybody else. Easy win Alonso? Where F1 cars tries to maximize power inside their legal specs, this car simply dials it down to fit the legal specs because it's already over powered.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back