Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

Also, I'm surprised people are discussing the hardware differences here. The new PSU for Pro is of comparable or even better quality (especially cooling) compared to the Mean Well units.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

So why continue shipping Sport with inferior PSU?
The only reason we believed that Meanwell is the best of the best and everything else is crap is because GD kept saying this for years, way before SC2, when DIY OSW was a thing, then for SC1. And confirmed it again when testing different PSUs for SC2.

Certified by manufacturer wattage of the new PSU does not inspire confidence either.
It's 300 watts and you are saying "it can do 450 just fine, don't worry your pretty little head". That's a lot of faith for 150% wattage increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
So why continue shipping Sport with inferior PSU?
The only reason we believed that Meanwell is the best of the best and everything else is crap is because GD kept saying this for years, way before SC2, when DIY OSW was a thing, then for SC1. And confirmed it again when testing different PSUs for SC2.
Wattage new PSU is cerified for by manufacturer does not inspire confidence either. It's 330watts and you are saying "it can do 450 just fine, don't worry your pretty little head".

Meanwell is good, but not nearly at the top of the heap. In industrial settings some consider Meanwell PS's getting by cheap.

It is nice that they have a decent power cable length now, and I think it is good that they are taking care of the common complaints. Many people didn't like the double power supplies and to be fair, they are bulky.

If I were buying one today I would welcome their changes. As it is I've made room for the double PS's and got the GPU extension cables like most people did. People are nothing if not adaptable in this niche.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Certified by manufacturer wattage of the new PSU does not inspire confidence either.
It's 300 watts and you are saying "it can do 450 just fine, don't worry your pretty little head". That's a lot of faith for 150% wattage increase.

I wrote some details on a German forum here:

Upvote 0

Thank you, Mika, that was really interesting background information. Seeing the final product, it is sometimes difficult to understand how much development and testing effort is behind it. I have the SC2 Sport and one of the reasons was actually that it only had one PSU. I think it is good that you went this way with the pro also and in that case I had probably chosen the pro back then, about half a year ago. But I am perfectly happy with the Sport, and the shorter power cable is no biggie for me. Thanks again for the insight!

Upvote 0

Can you buy this PS by itself if you would like to save space and bulk on your rig?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 1234936

It's a Postage stamp at the side of the Ultimate Power Suply, I had to buy that one it's own stand. :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Just taking a wild guess as an electrical engineer, but I would imagine that the two plugs are connected to the exact same lines internally. A splitter would be redundant.
Doesn't look that simple.
1606441789958.png

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Nothing in that sounded like it wasn't that simple. In fact it sounds like after they've verified it, it will be exactly that simple.
Guess our interpretation is different then.
Still not sure they'll gather enough interest to conduct these tests and start making extra PSUs for sale.
I know everyone got excited at first, but not so much now after all the details got revealed.
Maybe iRacing board is different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Another wild guess would be that, unless perfectly matched,
output current from one supply would have flowed into the other; not ideal.
If im not wrong, thats the very reason to go with one PSU ONLY on the Pro, because the minimal difference between 2 R1 PSUs could cause loss FFB when enough Power is requiered.
So It is not crazy to try the new PSU over R1 because the R1s can work with only one PSU.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 112 70.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 32 20.0%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 33 20.6%
  • No 3pa registration pages