Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

What would you get if you were buying now? The R2 with one PSU or the older version from SRB with two.

Older version, without question. The only downside is that you'd have to ship it back to the dealer if it were to need a repair, whereas the R2 is more easily serviceable by the end user.

Upvote 0
20Nm can snap your wrists just as well, but I've paid for 25Nm version and not sure it performs based on advertised spec after PSU change and artificial cutoff of amperage in FW for R1 owners. I didn't get any response from GD on how to verify drawn amperage or Nm as it was possible in Granity software before, but it does look like recently I need to run SC2 even at a higher gain in AC than what I used with my 20Nm Mige to get the same level of torque. I know, it's not a proof, but it does make you wonder.
And there is another anecdotal evidence.
It's easy enough to measure the drawn amperage if you have access to a clamp multimeter - simply put the clamp around the power cable - set it to amps and read the current on the display. You can get entry level ones for around £20 - £30 on Amazon. That ill give e you a true and comparable measurement.
51a4dhGXimL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Upvote -1
  • Deleted member 197115

It's easy enough to measure the drawn amperage if you have access to a clamp multimeter - simply put the clamp around the power cable - set it to amps and read the current on the display. You can get entry level ones for around £20 - £30 on Amazon. That ill give e you a true and comparable measurement. View attachment 421057
I don't see how I can do that to be honest, there are no exposed contacts, plus the feed comes from two PSUs.
Accordingly to GD they collect telemetry from users on used amperage, but when asked if user can access this data locally, went silent.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

What is the advantage of the R1 except for the better power button on the back?
Arguably better, properly rated for the job PSUs from Meanwell.
But it's a toss as you'd have to deal with two and shorter cables requiring extensions. It's one time inconvenience though that you deal with only during first time setup.

Upvote 0
What is the advantage of the R1 except for the better power button on the back?

These are just my personal opinions and others may disagree.

Power supplies built by a well known and respected manufacturer like Meanwell that are readily available to purchase by end users in the event of a failure. The R2 unit is only available from GD as far as I'm aware. The twin Meanwell supplies also have more power headroom although this is now irrelevant as there was a silent firmware change which lowered the power limit in order to accommodate the weaker R2 psu.

Power button is positioned in a more accessible and sensible position, not sandwiched between usb cable and antenna.

Rear case cover has higher quality machining, fit and finish.

I'm not saying the R2 is a bad product but I'm glad I have the R1.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help gentlemen. I ordered a R1 SC2 Pro. It was 80 euro cheaper as well and I have already spent more then I am comfortable with. I have never even used a DD wheel before, sure hope it gives me that extra level of immersion I am looking for.

Upvote 0
I don't see how I can do that to be honest, there are no exposed contacts, plus the feed comes from two PSUs.
Accordingly to GD they collect telemetry from users on used amperage, but when asked if user can access this data locally, went silent.
You don't need exposed contacts. Ignore the two probes in the picture - they are for measuring voltages - the clamp at the top of the meter is hinged and simply goes around an insulated cable to measure the current flowing in the cable. Not sure if you could measure around two cables simultaneously (although it might work) but you could measure them individually and add them together. I think they work with magic but Wikipedia has the science.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Umm, you can’t measure amperage that way for DC, only AC, even if you could isolate individual leads
Actually you can - for sure the clamp meters of many years ago only worked with AC but more modern ones (not sure quite when but since well over 10 years ago) use Hall sensors and can do an excellent job with DC.
As for measuring with multiple cables, two things to consider: firstly if you have a pair of cables (e.g. red and black :)) which are carrying equal and opposite currents, you will have zero net magnetic field and thus the current reading will be zero. Secondly, if you have a pair of two-core cables going to the same unit, then you can measure the total current just by running a "matched" pair (let's say red and red) through the clamp and keeping the other pair (e.g. black and black...) outside the clamp. This might require some mucking around if the cores aren't separate anywhere of course.

Upvote 0
IMO, and I have absolutely no evidence to base this on and I'm sure GD employees will reign in here like Gandalf's army at the end of The Return of the King to tell me otherwise but:
The R1 to me looks to be better built than the R2. I can't shake the feeling that the R2 looks like a cost saving revision.
The PSU is from a brand with less reputation than Meanwell. And it's actually a 300W PSU that has "peak" of 450W but cannot sustain it. I think they even changed the SC2 firmware (for both R1 and R2) to avoid any overdrawing issues affecting the R2.
The power switch is, honestly cheap looking. I like the flip switch of the R1 I have. It has a nice finger feel to it and it's easy to reach. I'm not a fan of the push in, recessed power buttons.
The backplate is more flat. Something about the indentations where the antenna, power ports and power switch are located looks very engineered.
GD themselves admit that what changed with the PCB with R2 was because some components were "over engineered" and they had assembly lines for two PCBa and they changed 4% of the components in order to support a single board design.

I know they know what they're doing, but it seems like the Pro was more expensive to manufacture and for me that implies it being strongly built.

Again I have no evidence to support this, but there's a reason I feel that everyone recommended Meanwell PSU's for the SC1 DIY.

Upvote 0
Btw, saw you having problem mapping SC2 in AMS2. Try binding pedals first.
That was the issue.
that and I had to set my wheel rotation to 450 degrees and nearly snapped my thumbs off when the FFB signal from AMS2 cut off and returned the wheel to a Sidewinder like simple spring type of FFB and it returned to center with 25*(alleged) Nm of torque...
I feel like a shill for defending this game so much early on. The FFB still feels good when it’s working but this song and dance every time Steam updates is getting old...

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

That was the issue.
that and I had to set my wheel rotation to 450 degrees and nearly snapped my thumbs off when the FFB signal from AMS2 cut off and returned the wheel to a Sidewinder like simple spring type of FFB and it returned to center with 25*(alleged) Nm of torque...
I feel like a shill for defending this game so much early on. The FFB still feels good when it’s working but this song and dance every time Steam updates is getting old...
Yeah, try to have e-stop engaged next time before calibrating.

Upvote 0
Looks like SC2 Sport got the R2 treatment. No more flip switch for power.

Upvote 0
Looks like SC2 Sport got the R2 treatment. No more flip switch for power.
That is an announced change because as Granite stated, the use of same PCB/backplate in both models (sport-pro) is a step ahead.
Most important change to look at is the PSU... Is it the same Meanweel that Sport R1s had?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 108 69.2%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 41 26.3%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 33 21.2%