Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

Hello.
I am in front of exactly this big choice. Simucube 2 pro or DD1. Seems like DD1 is more accessible. You can buy it easly. I tried to find a sc2pro and every shop is out of stock.
What I want is reliability and not having to constantly dive deep into settings.
Then there are rims. As for Fanatec it is pretty straight forward, in case of simucube I am so lost. There is no shop with all rims. Everything is dispersed across deep web plus 80% is out of stock. This really throws me away from simucube. Unless someone could shed a light :)
My budget is around 1800-1900 euro.

Upvote 0
Hello.
I am in front of exactly this big choice. Simucube 2 pro or DD1. Seems like DD1 is more accessible. You can buy it easly. I tried to find a sc2pro and every shop is out of stock.
What I want is reliability and not having to constantly dive deep into settings.
Then there are rims. As for Fanatec it is pretty straight forward, in case of simucube I am so lost. There is no shop with all rims. Everything is dispersed across deep web plus 80% is out of stock. This really throws me away from simucube. Unless someone could shed a light :)
My budget is around 1800-1900 euro.
You won’t get a very unbiased perspective here. There’s a lot of confirmation bias. If you don’t mind being locked into Fanatec or using a Podium Hub to attach third party wheels, Fanatec has good reviews online.
But the overwhelming opinion on RD is that waiting until the heat death of the universe if it means getting an SC2 instead of DD1 is a better option than Fanatec.
In my opinion: all things equal, SC2 is a better choice objectively. But things aren’t equal right now because as you said, you have to pray you can find one in stock. The next stock date for Sim Racing Bay is July 30. The last time they went on sale, they sold out in 15 minutes.
The third option is building a MIGE based Simucube which I’m doing. Or buying an Accuforce. Or a VRS DirectForce Pro. But the VRS is even harder to buy than the Simucube. I reserved one end of May and I’m barely 35% filled in the reservation bar.
Also how advanced are you of a user? Some people hate the way these DD wheel bases feel out of the box. You might have to dial settings in to get a feel you like. If that is discouraging to you, you should consider the Accuforce because it has cloud tuning so you can just download a profile for the car/sim you like and drive.
I honestly think the DD1/2 is a hood wheel base and a lot of people are very happy with theirs. The SC2 is better but does that matter if what it’s better at are things you won’t even notice?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

But things aren’t equal right now because as you said, you have to pray you can find one in stock. The next stock date for Sim Racing Bay is July 30. The last time they went on sale, they sold out in 15 minutes.
SimRacingBay is not the only option. If you are lucky you can get it there the fastest, but Tomo does not accept preorders, so it's a hit or miss if you make the cut when they become available.
Other retailers do accept preorders, wait might be longer, but at least you will get yours guaranteed.
I got mine from US retailer DSD, good price and communication but yeah, had to wait extra month. BTW, looks like Derek has Ultimate in stock right now.

EDIT: Not sure why RD blocks url. Just google for Derek Speare Designs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi Arkadiusz,

One of the deciding factors for me in choosing the sc2 over the fanatec dd wheel after being able to test both, was the movement in the quick release on the fanatec, this was more than slightly noticable, and although it never came off, it killed the imersion for me, and made if feel cheap.

Not a fanboy of either system, but if I'm paying a premium price, I want a Premium Product.

The best solution Would be to test differant systems and see what suits best.

J

Upvote 0
Hi Arkadiusz,

One of the deciding factors for me in choosing the sc2 over the fanatec dd wheel after being able to test both, was the movement in the quick release on the fanatec, this was more than slightly noticable, and although it never came off, it killed the imersion for me, and made if feel cheap.

Not a fanboy of either system, but if I'm paying a premium price, I want a Premium Product.

The best solution Would be to test differant systems and see what suits best.

J

You are one of the few who had the opportunity to test both.

Can you write something about FFb?

best regards

Upvote 0
I do feel like testing multiple Direct Drivers side by side would be fantastic. Would be amazing to have a sim racing arcade or something with at least one model of DD wheel available and maybe all of them. The problem with all the experiences you can only experience being there (VR, DD FFB etc) is that its hard to appreciate or describe the impact to others.

Upvote 0
>was the movement in the quick release on the fanatec...
?? I've got the Formula V2 wheel on a Podium DD1 and the quick release, I assume it is the slide collar and securing knob, and mine is rock solid even without security bolt. Can't detect any play at all.
Just brilliant.

Upvote 0
Not sure I can wade through 1h41mins!!! Do you have a time point??
Just skipped to 1h38m50 - yawn - and I haven't got anything like that. I tried that on my 2 month old wheel and zilch, nada, zero. I've had some good wheel jarring crashes and nothing has worked lose. And I haven't even had to fiddle with the collar bolts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
QR flex was my biggest concern before buying the DD1.

Fortunately there is no flex at all with my Porsche 918 RSR rim(Clubsport QR).

I also do not use the security bolt.

Upvote 0
Flex on Podium wheels seems random between users. And with the solution of the Z-Ring, I'm not sure the fact there could be flex should still be considered a major argument when comparing Fanatec to Simucube.
Barry tested v14.0 of the Z-Ring here.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Aris mentioned in the latest stream he is ditching his Podium after trying out SC2.

Upvote 0
You won’t get a very unbiased perspective here. There’s a lot of confirmation bias. If you don’t mind being locked into Fanatec or using a Podium Hub to attach third party wheels, Fanatec has good reviews online.
But the overwhelming opinion on RD is that waiting until the heat death of the universe if it means getting an SC2 instead of DD1 is a better option than Fanatec.
In my opinion: all things equal, SC2 is a better choice objectively. But things aren’t equal right now because as you said, you have to pray you can find one in stock. The next stock date for Sim Racing Bay is July 30. The last time they went on sale, they sold out in 15 minutes.
The third option is building a MIGE based Simucube which I’m doing. Or buying an Accuforce. Or a VRS DirectForce Pro. But the VRS is even harder to buy than the Simucube. I reserved one end of May and I’m barely 35% filled in the reservation bar.
Also how advanced are you of a user? Some people hate the way these DD wheel bases feel out of the box. You might have to dial settings in to get a feel you like. If that is discouraging to you, you should consider the Accuforce because it has cloud tuning so you can just download a profile for the car/sim you like and drive.
I honestly think the DD1/2 is a hood wheel base and a lot of people are very happy with theirs. The SC2 is better but does that matter if what it’s better at are things you won’t even notice?

Plus the problem with rims. It is not easy to find a rim for sc2. To find a affordable one is even harder. So all and all, SC2 seems like a pain in the ass. Quick release is not really an issue for me as I won't be changing rims. So the only issue could be this... flex some people mention, as with every update dd gets better and better.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Plus the problem with rims. It is not easy to find a rim for sc2. To find a affordable one is even harder.
You can literally use any rim in existence as long as it uses automotive standard 70 or 50mm mounting pattern.
As for the wheel plate, there is a long list of manufacturers making USB and wireless plates working with SC2, in different shapes, features, quality, and price.
I see it's more like a limitation of the Podium as you are restricted to only what you can get from Fanatec.
Getting everything from one place of the same brand (wheelbase, pedals, wheels, shifter, etc) could be an advantage though. There are pluses and minuses of ecosystem/vendor lock-in.

Upvote 0
Hi Glaniu,

Could I wright somthing About ffb?

Well I could, but it would be a poinless exercise, I could say it's like this...

And everyone else would be No, it's like this....

It's just far to subjective a topic, and what feels brilliant to me, may feel like steering a barge to you,

What I will say, is that I put in better and more consistant lap times and had fewer spins with the sc2 than I did with the fanatec, but again, this could be down to wheel setup.

I was not aware of the Z Ring thingy for the fanatec, Are Apple now partnering with fanatec???

(Ducks And covers:whistling:)

I wouldn't be disapointed with a dd2, Just Prefered the sc2, at the end of the day, you pays your money.

J

Upvote 0
In the same boat....
SC2 pro is out of stock for quite a while as well AR wireless formula wheel.
So either wait and invest heavily (convert two wheels to usb or pick AR Formula) or pick a reasonably priced DD1 and use the F1 2020 wheel on it and save along the way.
Is dd1 considered to be comparable to SC2 sport or pro?

Latest info on SRB

“Availability of SC2 products – Status update 9. July
Posted by SimRacing

SC2 Sport: next stock is expected during August, more precise information will be announced on 30 July 2020.

SC2 Pro Units: next stock is scheduled for 7. August. 2020. Precise timing will be announced on 30 July 2020

SC2 Ultimate: Now in stock and ready for dispatch on 16 July 2020. “

Upvote 0
In the same boat....
SC2 pro is out of stock for quite a while as well AR wireless formula wheel.
So either wait and invest heavily (convert two wheels to usb or pick AR Formula) or pick a reasonably priced DD1 and use the F1 2020 wheel on it and save along the way.
Is dd1 considered to be comparable to SC2 sport or pro?

Latest info on SRB

“Availability of SC2 products – Status update 9. July
Posted by SimRacing

SC2 Sport: next stock is expected during August, more precise information will be announced on 30 July 2020.

SC2 Pro Units: next stock is scheduled for 7. August. 2020. Precise timing will be announced on 30 July 2020

SC2 Ultimate: Now in stock and ready for dispatch on 16 July 2020. “

Depends where you live. In Japan the DD1 is quite expensive, (About $1400-$1450 USD after tariffs and taxes) and even cheaper to order from overseas to be delivered here.
In general, the DD1 is slotted at the price of the SC2 Sport, but it's not 1:1. The SC2 includes an emergency stop and can be fitted with a simple 70mm or 3 bolt wheel out of the box. If you have a sequential shifter already, the only reason you'd need a more expensive wheel is if you want wheel buttons.
If you're in Europe, the DD1 is actually more expensive than the SC2 Sport. €1199 for DD1 versus €1029 for the SC2 Sport.
SimRacingBay's SC2 Pro is the same price as Fanatec.com's DD1... But in Japan I'd have to pay almost $1700 for the SC2 Sport once I clear customs and shipping.

This is my subjective view of how they stack up.
SC2 Sport vs DD1
Sport has Emergency Stop (Point SC2)
Sport compatible with universal wheels out of box (Point SC2)
DD1 has 20 Nm torque instead of 17 Nm of torque (Point DD1)
Out-runner motor on DD1 vs in-runner motor on SC2 Sport (Point SC2)
At the moment, more filters/customization on SC software (Point SC2)
If you like Fanatec wheels, DD1 will be cheaper (Circumstantial Point DD1)
If you want custom wheels IE: Cube Controls, Precision Sim, SC2 will be cheaper over time (Circumstantial Point SC2)
3 year warranty on DD1 vs 2 year warranty on SC2 (Point DD1)

The other option is skipping both and trying to get a second hand OSW Kit or Simucube 1 build. Beano still swears by them and I trust his judgment so that's what I'm going with.

Upvote 0
Depends where you live. In Japan the DD1 is quite expensive, (About $1400-$1450 USD after tariffs and taxes) and even cheaper to order from overseas to be delivered here.
In general, the DD1 is slotted at the price of the SC2 Sport, but it's not 1:1. The SC2 includes an emergency stop and can be fitted with a simple 70mm or 3 bolt wheel out of the box. If you have a sequential shifter already, the only reason you'd need a more expensive wheel is if you want wheel buttons.
If you're in Europe, the DD1 is actually more expensive than the SC2 Sport. €1199 for DD1 versus €1029 for the SC2 Sport.
SimRacingBay's SC2 Pro is the same price as Fanatec.com's DD1... But in Japan I'd have to pay almost $1700 for the SC2 Sport once I clear customs and shipping.

This is my subjective view of how they stack up.
SC2 Sport vs DD1
Sport has Emergency Stop (Point SC2)
Sport compatible with universal wheels out of box (Point SC2)
DD1 has 20 Nm torque instead of 17 Nm of torque (Point DD1)
Out-runner motor on DD1 vs in-runner motor on SC2 Sport (Point SC2)
At the moment, more filters/customization on SC software (Point SC2)
If you like Fanatec wheels, DD1 will be cheaper (Circumstantial Point DD1)
If you want custom wheels IE: Cube Controls, Precision Sim, SC2 will be cheaper over time (Circumstantial Point SC2)
3 year warranty on DD1 vs 2 year warranty on SC2 (Point DD1)

The other option is skipping both and trying to get a second hand OSW Kit or Simucube 1 build. Beano still swears by them and I trust his judgment so that's what I'm going with.

Why do people keep saying only the SC2 is compatible with universal wheels? You can buy a Podium QR and mount any wheel you want to a Fanatec DD.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea