Skins Painting rims without existing DDS file?

For cars/skins that do not have an existing DDS file for rim paint, is there a naming scheme that can be used to add a DDS file after exporting from 3DSimED and Mudbox/PS?

Basically, I have a mod car that does not have a DDS for the rims. I can export the the model from 3DSimED and then paint in Mudbox etc etc, however I don't know what to name the DDS file.

Thanks in advance.

Update: I believe I have found the answer. Using AC Manager in the CM Showroom you can highlight the rim and the program displays the name of the txDiffuse. I would assume that naming the new DDS file as the same name of the txDiffuse would allow me to add a DDS file where one did not exist previously, and without knowing the proper naming scheme?

IN CM you can render the UV template and even render a AO Ambient occlusion map also,
so use the name collected and render both UV and AO and you have a new template with the name :)

click on the txdiffuse and it will open this dialog and show the current dds inside the car,
to the left it says view mapping in there you can render new UV maps or calculate a new AO map,
these 2 things now you have a template for anything, any car or any part.
37603ad3283094beeb29d7c51ca2e18e.png

or click on export the actual map from inside the KN5 and paint it again ;)

IN CM you can render the UV template and even render a AO Ambient occlusion map also,
so use the name collected and render both UV and AO and you have a new template with the name :)

click on the txdiffuse and it will open this dialog and show the current dds inside the car,
to the left it says view mapping in there you can render new UV maps or calculate a new AO map,
these 2 things now you have a template for anything, any car or any part.
37603ad3283094beeb29d7c51ca2e18e.png

or click on export the actual map from inside the KN5 and paint it again ;)
Thanks for the answer. However, my Content Manager does not have an export button like I see in yours. Is this irrelevant however if I am painting in Mudbox since the UV is exported from Mudbox anyway?

If CM doesn't work for any particular car, there is another way. You could convert the kn5 file back to a fbx format, extract the textures. Find the exact image file that has the rim texture in it, then change the colour of that file, making sure to keep the exact same name, put it in your textures folder.

Edit: seems Cm does more than I remember it could.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back