Overtaking / Wheel to Wheel Racing Tips

Hi all,

As a relative noob to the online racing world, one thing I am finding hard to get used to is when it comes to overtaking. The few times I have had an opportunity to overtake, I've been so concerned and worried about some form of contact that I've either messed up my own line and cost myself a few seconds, or in one case, I attempted a pass on the inside of someone, they turned in and we tapped. No harm done, I gave the place back and only a second or two lost for both of us.

In that case, I was on TeamSpeak with Dennis (the other car) who was able to relay to me he felt the overtake was too aggressive and I was quickly able to give the spot back. If it had been another driver, not on TS, I'd not have known there was a problem. After watching the replay, I think my move was brave, but controlled (I hit the apex, left plenty of room), and I don't think it was just a dive-bomb up on the inside. Dennis, a pro in comparison, didn't see it that way (and I happily defer to his opinion). It was the only time I attempted a move - the rest of my races I have left plenty of space, taken outside lines when I know cars are coming down the inside, etc.

The reason I explain all this isn't to complain - FAR FROM IT - I am using it as an example of a new person trying to get to grips with it.

So, do you have some general tips? When is it considered okay to go into a corner on the inside of someone? If someone isn't on TS to relay they have an issue, how can I possibly know to give the spot back? And what if I feel the overtake was fair, and the other driver doesn't? I know you can make an incident report later, but I feel I'd be driving ahead of them worried I had done something wrong and would probably give the spot back even if it wasn't necessary. My biggest worry is getting a reputation for unfair moves, when I want to make sure I race hard but fair.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure it was all explained properly. I am sure many of you had similar concerns when you first started out.

Some good points added here, so my contribution will be:

"The Dive Bomb" Trying to make a pass at the last possible milli-second, pulling out/off line and trying to outbrake is maybe my biggest pet peeve. The problem is, we all do it eventually. We don't understand the car ahead's brake point and/or we leave braking later than we anticipate and in an effort to overtake or miss the car ahead, we pull inside and try to take the position at the last possible moment.

You see this a lot in real life, but not only are those guys pros, it's real life. Online, you need to a bit of predictability to make things work safely. Making your intention to pass known helps make the pass easier and safer for both drivers.

@Ken Tarvin
reminds me of Vettels move on Button @ SPA 2010

This is a good example. Button "fakes" like he's going to take the normal line into Bus Stop, but then blocks to the inside at the last moment. Vettel reads this and thinks he's got the inside into the chicane. (Also, Vettel does a good job of taking his time and setting up the pass into the Bus Stop Chicane...and Button maybe knows this..levels?)

IMO, Button is at fault here. He makes a very late move here to block and Vettel, reading that he can make a pass on the inside, finds himself blocked and has nowhere to go.

I'm certainly no pro, and these guys think on a level higher than any of us. Racing is like poker...many times you think a few turns ahead and setup your opponent to fail. But here Button should've known Seb was going to attempt a pass into Bus Stop and made him go around. But instead caused an incident that should've been avoided.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back