OverTake <> RaceDepartment | General Discussion

It's a sad but true mindset of much of the population today, few want to learn anything now as quick fixes (through constant respawns and easy mode) allow games to be completed and cast aside, not just gaming but in industry and life in general, everything in this day and age seems to be based around the 'fast and disposable' and learning a trade seems to have gone out of the window too, Mechanics are now 'Fitters' and they understand only the very basics of what they need for their job.
My mate saw me setting up a car for GTR2, it wasn't much, I just moved the brake bias forward a bit raised the steering rack and lowered the tyre pressures and gearing, and he said "do you have to change much, I can just drive them as they are" I tried to explain that the changes I was making was because of the 'GTL' car I was using and what I wanted it to do ands how I wanted it to behave, but it just went over his head. he understood little about the game and or even racing.
Personally, I like to drive every lap, in and out and if I crash badly then that session is over for me, I'm the same with any other game I play, 'One life' it's a restart from scratch, that way I'm more careful about what I'm doing and who I'm picking on. but that's just me.

That mindset was common amongst gamers when I bought them on cassette. Some people want a quick thrill and other's want a deep dive. With most people being somewhere in between.
Always was, always will be.

Last edited:
always happens some faceless corporate entity ALWAYS sweeps in buys out and in the process guts the life and soul out of it and slowly turns it into something that benefits "them" and the not the actual people who use it. i guess the money was more important.
I've seen them on YouTube for a while. Couple of their personalities are interesting enough for simracing content.

They're funded by Porsche so at least they can't be too sketchy, I would hope.
Like Williams E Sports ;)

What they've bought is detailed marketing data on up to three million people, everything else is just window dressing.
Personal data is the new gold
The GDPR came into effect on May 25, 2018 and the regulation applies to any business that allows EU citizens to use their products or services, even if the business is not based in the EU.

In addition, U.S. federal law may require companies to provide users with Privacy Policy update notifications, dependent on which types of data the business collects and the nature of the policy change. Even without a law directly requiring a notice, you may still be legally required to produce a notice due to the indirect need to be transparent about your privacy practices.

I swear.. "it sure does seem like many are eager to hop on board with unfounded theorization, somehow managing to confuse it with valid skepticism." the number of people talking about things they are genuinely clueless about...

Have you even read the current RD privacy policy?
You explicitly agreed to it when you made your account.
You continue to agree with it by using the service.

They already use your data for advertisements.

Are you guys really this dense?

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

What is the right way to request complete account and all associated data removal?
I don't see this option available in account settings.

... Mechanics are now 'Fitters' and they understand only the very basics of what they need for their job.
Oh, that hits home. I'm a retired electronics engineer; at age 16 I was running my own radio/TV repair shop, at the time of component level troubleshooting and repair. You had to understand how various circuits functioned in order to track down problems and isolate a single failed component.

My last professional job was product engineer for a company dealing in commercial cable equipment. Our "techs" had absolutely no idea how anything worked. They were merely taught, "check this voltage, if it's off replace that part; check that voltage, if it's off replace this part; if the unit still doesn't work mark it 'too costly to repair' and set it aside". Well, we were running a 5% "too costly" rate on these units, which cost the owners $300 each whether we fixed them or not, and cost $1800 to replace. This was ridiculous; I had someone bring a cart full of these units to the engineering lab where in fifteen minutes I found an underrated part that was failing, replacing with a part with higher voltage rating got every unit working (and the replacement part cost us $5 per 100). Filed an engineering report and the "too costly" rate dropped to 0.4%, another report to the manufacturer of the units elicited thanks and a note that the change would be implemented on new units, and a copy to Time Warner (whose equipment we maintained) got me free cable for about ten years (til they were bought by Spectrum). One decent tech in any of those companies should have noticed this years earlier.
Personally, I like to drive every lap, in and out and if I crash badly then that session is over for me, I'm the same with any other game I play, 'One life' it's a restart from scratch, that way I'm more careful about what I'm doing and who I'm picking on. but that's just me.
I'm reminded of a forum thread some years ago where we discussed "realism" in sims and decided the ultimate realism would be if the game, in addition to computing damage to the car from incidents, also computed injuries to the driver. This would be especially interesting in a championship season or career mode; you could be out the rest of that race, or miss several races, or be killed. We were soundly derided for this idea.

I play a virtually unknown indie survival game called Haven & Hearth that has permadeath, and there are dozens of ways to die - wild animals, starving, drowning, cave-ins, other players (PvP)...

Of course, there is the steam community.....

As I wrote to them ages ago,
You could offer me your entire catalog for the sum total of $1.00, but as long as that includes your totalitarian demand to install unwanted and unnecessary snoopware/bloatware/garbageware ... no deal.

But if I can download and install just the game itself and nothing else, you can quadruple the price of every game and I would be over there now, money in hand.

(Not only that, but you cannot download mods from them, even though these were created by players not Steam. And even if you have an account you cannot download a mod unless you purchased that game from them.)

Last edited:
The GDPR came into effect on May 25, 2018 and the regulation applies to any business that allows EU citizens to use their products or services, even if the business is not based in the EU.

In addition, U.S. federal law may require companies to provide users with Privacy Policy update notifications, dependent on which types of data the business collects and the nature of the policy change. Even without a law directly requiring a notice, you may still be legally required to produce a notice due to the indirect need to be transparent about your privacy practices.

I swear.. "it sure does seem like many are eager to hop on board with unfounded theorization, somehow managing to confuse it with valid skepticism." the number of people talking about things they are genuinely clueless about...

Have you even read the current RD privacy policy?
You explicitly agreed to it when you made your account.
You continue to agree with it by using the service.

They already use your data for advertisements.

Are you guys really this dense?
The discussion was about where the value was . But nice try.

The discussion was about where the value was . But nice try.
valid, i viewed your response with the wrong context in mind so i saw it in a different light, my bad. you're completely right in that the monetary value for the bigger company in this case is our data.

I figured I would edit this in fairness to RD given Bram's responses to my question regarding the Privacy Policy in another thread. Yes, data is gold, and so far as I can tell based on his detailed responses, RD values our privacy than it does that gold, and I think by extension it's fair to say the same can be said of Overtake. I also had some minor skepticism regarding it, considering how the modern internet works, but given the facts it was misguided.

I recommend anyone concerned about how our data may be used both read the current privacy policy, as well as Bram's responses in the other thread I started in the Q&A section regarding it.

Last edited:
You could offer me your entire catalog for the sum total of $1.00, but as long as that includes your totalitarian demand to install unwanted and unnecessary snoopware/bloatware/garbageware ... no deal.

But if I can download and install just the game itself and nothing else, you can quadruple the price of every game and I would be over there now, money in hand.

(Not only that, but you cannot download mods from them, even though these were created by players not Steam. And even if you have an account you cannot download a mod unless you purchased that game from them.)
It was more a reference to the bizarre social norms that are followed in the steam forums.

I've never been a fan of Steam, thought my son sees only liquid gold from their every orifice,
I'm glad DFS doesn't have the same practices, imagine if DFS without kept just letting themselves into your house uninvited and nailed on the latest arm, cushion, ashtray and cup holder to the settee you bought from them, and scattered the latest sales brochures liberally around the house, then swapped information about your habitat and observed behaviour with their 'partners' we'd immediately have a police injunction against them, and rightly so, but the internet is riddled with investors that have a vested interest in your rights policies, and no matter who you are someone somewhere is snooping for profit and power... yeah I know Red pill Blue pill,

"Nursie... more white pills please, I feel odd again"

Fortunately, all the best mods are on Discord servers now anyway. This place is very likely to go the way of other, now defunct simracing sites that forgot their roots, sold out and became just another place full of banner ads and bland press releases.

Sic transit gloria mundi....

Fortunately, all the best mods are on Discord servers now anyway. This place is very likely to go the way of other, now defunct simracing sites that forgot their roots, sold out and became just another place full of banner ads and bland press releases.

Sic transit gloria mundi....
I don't get any banner ads. :sneaky:

Our "techs" had absolutely no idea how anything worked. They were merely taught, "check this voltage, if it's off replace that part; check that voltage, if it's off replace this part; if the unit still doesn't work mark it 'too costly to repair' and set it aside". Well, we were running a 5% "too costly" rate on these units, which cost the owners $300 each whether we fixed them or not, and cost $1800 to replace. This was ridiculous; I had someone bring a cart full of these units to the engineering lab where in fifteen minutes I found an underrated part that was failing, replacing with a part with higher voltage rating got every unit working (and the replacement part cost us $5 per 100). Filed an engineering report and the "too costly" rate dropped to 0.4%, another report to the manufacturer of the units elicited thanks and a note that the change would be implemented on new units, and a copy to Time Warner (whose equipment we maintained) got me free cable for about ten years (til they were bought by Spectrum). One decent tech in any of those companies should have noticed this years earlier.
I had a part fail on my car and the garage wanted to replace the whole unit for around £150 plus labour. Did some research ( thanks YouTube ) and found I could buy a TO-3 cased item from Maplin for about £4; removed item, unsoldered old bit and fited new. Problem solved.

Damn... we're drifting off the subject again.
Sorry :)

Last edited:
Message to Bram

You created Race department.
You deserve the right to do what you want with your baby, and a good father never let his children go down.

Everything change . This is life.
I was young , wanted to remain young, and i am getting old.

Ignore all comments and follow your own path for what you think is the best in your opinion..

As a user , we have no risk at all. simracing is just a hobby.

Cheers.

Mergers often go wrong because both parties do not seem to be on the same page and because the culture of their organization is too different.
This can create a situation in which the customers of both parties can no longer identify with or recognize themselves in the new organisation. Something like this is reinforced when it is paired with a name change. One then loses an identity and name recognition that has been built up over the years.
When this is also combined with changing priorities of the product range, a situation arises in which customers are triggered to look for what else is on the market. Since their loyalty has also emotionally disappeared due to the name change, leaving is often the result.

RaceDepartment serves different target groups. There is no such thing as "the sim racer". Every target group has its own needs and interests.
I myself belong to the target group described earlier by @Kek700 . As long as I continue to find that in the new situation, I will remain faithful to the new organisation. The collaboration with Overtake seems to be mainly about media use and other things that I do not or hardly use. So I don't think I have the right to pass judgment on that.
I trust the RaceDepartment staff members involved that they will properly represent the interests of their members in this.

Last edited:
valid, i viewed your response with the wrong context in mind so i saw it in a different light, my bad. you're completely right in that the monetary value for the bigger company in this case is our data.

I figured I would edit this in fairness to RD given Bram's responses to my question regarding the Privacy Policy in another thread. Yes, data is gold, and so far as I can tell based on his detailed responses, RD values our privacy than it does that gold, and I think by extension it's fair to say the same can be said of Overtake. I also had some minor skepticism regarding it, considering how the modern internet works, but given the facts it was misguided.

I recommend anyone concerned about how our data may be used both read the current privacy policy, as well as Bram's responses in the other thread I started in the Q&A section regarding it.

It's also good to remember that the new owners can change that at anytime .

In addition there is a lot of value in analysing the data internally without the need to sell it to third parties. So I'll still stand by saying our data has a real monetary value.

I do wonder what cash value the mods have or are the just a cost that brings in the views.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgf

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes