OverTake <> RaceDepartment | General Discussion

I've never heard of Overtake, so no idea what to expect from them.

Best case scenario - Overtake and RD co-exist as completely separate entities (as they are currently) under common ownership.

Worst case scenario - remember when AOL bought CompuServe, promising each would remain separate. CompuServe was gone in a year (it still exists, apparently as just a consulting firm).

I can't think of a single mega-corp owned property which allows mod hosting. Most of the existing mod sites left have survived due to their independent ownership. It's either that or Discord. There is no place for modding on the modern web. May as well lump it in with torrenting and pirate streaming now.
Exactly. Discord just refuses to let them be bought out. I would still reconsider my options if i was RD. Because this is gonna end in tears. If money was all they were after, well congratulations you ruined millions of users.

To me, the mod hosting and forums are the reasons why OverTake and RD merged, the two cover differing areas of the sim racing spectrum, combining the YouTube reach of OverTake with the community and mod hosting of RD allows the best of both worlds no?

If you hop on the OverTake Discord you'll find it's a chilled out place with no clamp downs on non official game content. They just published a video about why AC is still so good and it's thanks to the modding community.

Everything , a step at a time, until its yet another corporate shell. That's what selling it to corporate ownership always means. You can't honestly think it will carry on same ?
I actually hope it will not carry on being the same, as outlined before, we do not have the manpower and resources to nurture the community forums as we actually should.

The goal is to improve and make it a better experience for everybody. As you clearly can't be convinced give it some time, revisit this thread in a few months and tell me I was wrong.

I actually hope it will not carry on being the same, as outlined before, we do not have the manpower and resources to nurture the community forums as we actually should.

The goal is to improve and make it a better experience for everybody. As you clearly can't be convinced give it some time, revisit this thread in a few months and tell me I was wrong.

I have no issue with you selling on , you and the others involved really deserve the reward. But pretending it's for our benefit is bad form.
You're not the first to believe corporate money will make things better and you won't be the first to see your baby stripped away and rebranded either.

I give it 18 months before you resign.

Last edited:
I find it quite amusing to see that most of the people bleating on about "selling out" are not actually Premium members; they don't even make the smallest financial contribution to the running of RD.

Just another example of this cancerous attitude that everything in life should be free; that it's everyone else's responsibility to ensure things run smoothly.

I see that the Community Forums link on Overtake brings us to RD so they are going to be benefiting from all the hard work that Bram, Kenny and nameless others have put in over the years building the RD Community.

There's obviously a concern that as things progress they won't always be changes for the better, but the two have different "offerings" so I don't see that there should be any immediate issues that RD members need to be worried about.
Just as long as we don't lose what makes RD what it is... and that is as much to do with us as members as who ultimately "owns" RD

I've been hanging out on the OverTake platforms for a couple of years and they, like RD, are very community focused. There's always competitions and the occasional quiz night, the discord is a very chill one. I don't think anyone should be worried about changes that are a detriment to nurturing the communities that already exist.

The reason I signed up to RD recently was because OverTake has got me interested in AC and AC mods (I'm a pretty dedicated iRacer and GT7 driver).

the simple fact still remains. its been sold out to corporatism and that never ever benefits the people using the platform.
That's not really an opinion that works in the real world. Corporations buy into businesses because that business is profitable, they want to increase those profits so they make more money. They do that by giving the business they bought more funds to continue expanding their popularity.

I'm no fan of the modern corporate world but it's just not rue that they buy companies just to ruin them, that doesn't make any financial sense.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.