osw sw20 v2 or Simforce Steering System? (UK)

i am in the UK and looking for DD set up. Confused by everything i read is there any difference between the 2 above systems ? does one have more game compatibility than the other ? any advice more than welcome looking to purchase asap.

The Bodnar SS2 is better supported and more plug & play with less settings needing to be dialed in but obviously more expensive.

The OSW will work in all the games but will require a lot more fiddling and isn’t quite as detailed with its FFB.

Upvote 0
The Bodnar SS2 is better supported and more plug & play with less settings needing to be dialed in but obviously more expensive.

The OSW will work in all the games but will require a lot more fiddling and isn’t quite as detailed with its FFB.
what fiddling? with simucube, you don' need to adjust anything else than rotation and force to get an impressive feeling. of course, you can fine tune, but it's not really necessary.

I highly recommend simracingbay.com. and make sure to spend 100€ for the shielded servo cables. will avoid emi issues (ghosting). I have the large mige/sincos kit with shielded cables and never had a problem. fantastic wheel!

Upvote 0
yeah looked at the Bodnar but out of my range which is why i am looking at the 2 above systems both seem to have a good starting price but not sure if they are both the same or if one out performs the other in anyway.

Upvote 0

Bodnar SS2 uses a Kollmorgen AKM (52-54) servos which are more expensive. (software is limited and FFB is a question of personal preference, i have tested, spend hours and some few days on SS1 and SS2)

I went with OSW small MiGE (have also Lenze OSE) but FFB is much better, more detailed i. my opinion / again personal preference and Bodnar prices and steering wheel prices in my
opinion not justified, but my 2cents. Leo himself a genius though and absolutely wondeful intelligent and smart person and what he has accomplished with his SS1 and SS2. BUT OSW will and is the future.

Upvote 0
Had a g27 years ago then g29 , currently have tspc racer which has started making a noise and thrustmaster are not helping even with the unit under warranty so its going back to the retailer for full refund, Yay me. so given a CSW 2.5 would set me back about £900 i might as well invest in to DD as i know in the long term i would prefer this. Just need to get my head around it all.

Upvote 0
Had a g27 years ago then g29 , currently have tspc racer which has started making a noise and thrustmaster are not helping even with the unit under warranty so its going back to the retailer for full refund, Yay me. so given a CSW 2.5 would set me back about £900 i might as well invest in to DD as i know in the long term i would prefer this. Just need to get my head around it all.
buying fanatec is a waste of money... can't compare a csw 2.5 with an osw. https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-based-osw-kit-sincos-with-cm110-case/
tomo is the most experienced guy in the osw scene. excellent manual and setup instructions. comes plug and play. just have to install your rim of choice.

Upvote 0
I use SS2 with 53 servo.

I too have tested small and large Mige..simuCUBE.
My choice was Bodnar but price is questionable.

If going Mige I would choose the bigger servo.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Both use the same servo from what i can see but one uses 40,000 cpr encoder (sw20) vs SinCos 2048 line Encoder (2,097,152 CPR) (simtech) would i notice anything between the 2 encoders ? or is it just a number game ?

Upvote 0
@doubletapmix is not seeking a comparison with a Bodnar SS2. He is seeking a comparison between two OSW Small MIGE kits available in the UK.

The only real difference between the two is the encoder. The OSW Simforce steering System from STR Advanced Simulation comes with the new Sincos 2.1 million cpr encoder. The OSW SW20 V2 from Sim-plicity has the older 40,000 cpr encoder. I have a 40K encoder which is good, but I understand the 2.1m encoder is better and smoother. If I was buying again now I would go with the 2.1m encoder. (I could upgrade.)

I have heard nothing but very good feedback about the service from Jed at STR Advanced Simulation, in particular from people participating in the beta testing for the new SimuCUBE firmware. I have seen some good reviews and bad reviews of Ollie at Sim-plicity. But I have no direct knowledge, as I have never dealt with either.

When I bought my OSW Small MIGE, STR Advanced Simulation were not about and I went with Simracingbay They are in Slovenia, but I wouldn't let that bother you. The service I received from Tomo was above and beyond, and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Hope this helps.

P.S. typed before I saw your post above

Last edited:
Upvote 0
buying fanatec is a waste of money... can't compare a csw 2.5 with an osw. https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-based-osw-kit-sincos-with-cm110-case/
tomo is the most experienced guy in the osw scene. excellent manual and setup instructions. comes plug and play. just have to install your rim of choice.
no comparison Fanatec to OSW. (just a simplified scale 0-100, for myself and my personal experience).
everything lower range systems 0-50.
then some medium range system 50-70.
OSW depending on build+servo and Bodnar SS1/SS2 -> 70-90.
*** there is still room 90-100 ***
(I owned: G27, G29, TM150, TM300, Fanatec CSW v1 & v2, OSW Lenze and OSW small MiGE)
(have tried and driven few to many hours on TM500, SimX AF v1 and v2, Bodnar SS1 and SS2 -> AF didn’t like the feel of that hybrid system/ motor and Bodnar, just don’t like the software, not enough options to tweak, too little for the user to play/ adjust with)

—> and yes, OSW requires adjustments as they are not natively supported in any of the “sim” titles, where iRacing does best and has best implementation of OSW’s (direct drives generally speaking!) rest of sim titles are simply lacking support, willingness to implement and limping behind. But OSW community is growing, is very big now and more and more getting into it, there are hundreds of settings if not more and everyone just helps everyone like it is common in our simracing communities. so had only positive experience with my OSW Lenze, my OSW MiGE and others i know with their OSW’s (self built or purchased from the OSW builders out there: SimQuip, Augury, Joe Sullivan, HRS, Simplicity, Simracingbay and etc.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seeing at the new line encoder does make a difference it would be silly not to have this option bolted on from the get go. So this is swaying me more to the simtech kit. Had a quick look at simracingbay price is a little more 1050 vs 1180. The 130 saving would be nice as i am looking to keep cost low as i know the DD equipment can soon spiral out of control, and i can invest that in a rim to use with the DD kit.

Upvote 0
and another important thing, OSW / high end FFB systems, (except AF, comes with it) you have to purchase your own quick release and steering wheel. (not sure, maybe some are already offering it part of their kits) some consider that a disadvantage to the consumer wheels (and also Fanatec) but i find it rather nice and love the fact that I can build/ custom make my own wheels for my system. (and also few different quick releases out there)

Upvote 0
and another important thing, OSW / high end FFB systems, (except AF, comes with it) you have to purchase your own quick release and steering wheel. (not sure, maybe some are already offering it part of their kits) some consider that a disadvantage to the consumer wheels (and also Fanatec) but i find it rather nice and love the fact that I can build/ custom make my own wheels for my system. (and also few different quick releases out there)

You do have to purchase a steering wheel. You DO NOT have to purchase a quick release. Mine is bolted straight onto the MIGE shaft.

Upvote 0
Seeing at the new line encoder does make a difference it would be silly not to have this option bolted on from the get go. So this is swaying me more to the simtech kit. Had a quick look at simracingbay price is a little more 1050 vs 1180. The 130 saving would be nice as i am looking to keep cost low as i know the DD equipment can soon spiral out of control, and i can invest that in a rim to use with the DD kit.

That may not quite be a like for like comparison. Check with Jed at STR Advanced Simulation which IONI servo drive he includes and whether it comes with shielded cables. The Simracingbay kit at the price you quoted includes the IONI HC Pro servo drive, which is top of range, and the shielded cables.

If you are looking for lower cost wheel and paddles etc, have a look at simracingcoach I got mine from there and also had good service.
Just to confuse things, Carlos also does the small MIGE OSW at a competitive price.

Upvote 0
That may not quite be a like for like comparison. Check with Jed at STR Advanced Simulation which IONI servo drive he includes and whether it comes with shielded cables. The Simracingbay kit at the price you quoted includes the IONI HC Pro servo drive, which is top of range, and the shielded cables.

If you are looking for lower cost wheel and paddles etc, have a look at simracingcoach I got mine from there and also had good service.
Just to confuse things, Carlos also does the small MIGE OSW at a competitive price.
very true with Carlos (simracingcoach), their system is the AUGURY OSW.

Upvote 0
Both use the same servo from what i can see but one uses 40,000 cpr encoder (sw20) vs SinCos 2048 line Encoder (2,097,152 CPR) (simtech) would i notice anything between the 2 encoders ? or is it just a number game ?

Buy from Jed, Simtech. Top guy and cant do enough for you. He drove 90miles to mine today. He was going to come friday due to having another order to deliver on friday that was on way to mine but I really wanted setup today so he came today, spent over 1h here talking about setup and offering game settings info and even fitted it and set it up even though I was willing to do myself. When he got home he calles me just to ask if everything ok and glad I was happy. Top top bloke.
The sincos encoder just adds that bit extra to the ffb. Worth every penny.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea