osw sw20 v2 or Simforce Steering System? (UK)

i am in the UK and looking for DD set up. Confused by everything i read is there any difference between the 2 above systems ? does one have more game compatibility than the other ? any advice more than welcome looking to purchase asap.

yeah think i will start with a basic wheel set up and use the H shifter. As it happens still have an old momo wheel which was on my old mr2 turbo so i could slap that on till i am ready for a new wheel and box. Think i will give my self the weekend and bank holiday to look and think over the options but i can see my self contacting Jed from Simtech come tuesday lol.

Upvote 0
Purchasing a DD servo is really confusing. You can go down every rabbit hole and just get lost in the detail. I have a small Mige and keep my advice to friends simple;

a) The Direct Drive must including the word "SimuCube".
b) Purchase from a reputable outlet by checking various racing forums
c) Check your sim rig is strong enough to take the DD system's torque
d) Budget extra for a steering wheel and quick release mechanism
e) Stick to your budget

Yes i am seeing all this and very true. Little upgrades, if they bring a noticeable difference to the table i am willing to look in to. Just without knowing what does what and not having hands on experience of a DD system, its hard to gauge. One thing i do know, whatever i end up ordering i know i wont be going back to belt drive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had a g27 years ago then g29 , currently have tspc racer which has started making a noise and thrustmaster are not helping even with the unit under warranty so its going back to the retailer for full refund, Yay me. so given a CSW 2.5 would set me back about £900 i might as well invest in to DD as i know in the long term i would prefer this. Just need to get my head around it all.
Yes a DD wheel is definitely the right choice..!

Upvote 0
i did try differenr OSW’s, i had the budget (to test the market) and own two different systems. (sold my older OSW Argon+Kollmorgen setup (OSW simuCUBE + Lenze and OSW ionicube/ ioni pro HC small MiGE). hand down and no BS, imho and for me personally my OSW IONI Pro HC with small MiGE feels fantastic and love it compared to the rest. and i do not see the need to have 50-70 or more Nm, putting a 15-25kg servo on the rig. (then you need to beef up the rig, and etc $$$$ just more into that and it will become the never ending project)
I am also on my 3rd rig, also here my experience -> mix of parts and DIY is best. (all aluminium extrusion (80/20) rigs = 1st rig DIY, 2nd rig purchased and 3rd rig purchased = what i can say with 100% confidence, mix of designs and DIY works better than complete designs!) (and is cheaper at the end!) there are companies in Europe who can help putting list of materials together, or just in forums/ simracing communities DIY plans and measurements. hope this helps fellow simracers who are planning to get into the world of alu extrusion rigs and OSW’s.

on the OSW note, i think least expensive wheel for OSW is that GT wheel from Carlos ar simracingcoach, or you get yourself a Fanatec Formula Black (steel) used or new, and convert it for your OSW, also comes out cheaper than most wheels. (that was my first wheel, converted my Fanatec Formula for my OSW)

Upvote 0
Big Mige is less "Active" which gives it a more natural feel at pretty much any power level.

Mainly this is due to the added static inertia "weight of armature" and the winding.
Tuning the Big Mige is a little easier as it has a more consistent variation over the % of filtering.

The Small will be more "Active" which means faster to respond but it does come at a little bit of the cost of realism.. Some of this speed can be tuned out but not all.

Due to its weight there is only so far you can filter in certain methods before feel starts to get compromised.

BIG MIGE ALSO RUNS MUCH COOLER.
There is also not that much difference in motor size.

Upvote 0
OSW requires adjustments as they are not natively supported in any of the “sim” titles, where iRacing does best and has best implementation of OSW’s (direct drives generally speaking!) rest of sim titles are simply lacking support, willingness to implement and limping behind.

Mika from Granite Devices posted this on their forums about their planned rF2 SimuCUBE support and S397 doing their part.
https://community.granitedevices.com/t/rfactor-2-and-simucube/644/120

It looks like you're implying the small Mige gets hot.
Far from it, unless maybe if you're Mr Universe on speed with all FFB/power settings on 100%! ;)

Upvote 0
Group C + No power steering + 350MM deep dish = 100% and yes the small mige can get warm.

nothing major temp wise, and in reality shouldn't be of any concern or be a + or - for either side.

Upvote 0
I know at least half a dozen very happy small Mige owner's and another 3 guy's using the Big mige.
Small get's warmer..like I said the Big Mige run much cooler.

Both felt great BTW.

As for feeling natural, let's be honest here.
No DD wheel I've ever tried felt like a real 'race' car..how can it.

It's good enough though.

From what I've learned the tyre build in each specific sim has a big impact on this.
I really hope iracing get their sh*t together and give us a better feeling side wall.

My 53 Kollmogen SS2 can get pretty damn toasty if I'm running an Indy car or Group C @ 1.1
for some time.

Most Group C I've seen ran the popular prototype Momo Mod 31 rim.
Can't say I've seen many deep dish in prototype's but a very personal thing.

Have a Mod 31 myself.
I choose the 320mm option for sim racing.

Attachments

• 962c.jpg
    962c.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 411
  • mo 2.JPG
    mo 2.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 463
  • c9 cockpit.jpg
    c9 cockpit.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’ve read the Kollmorgen on the Bodnar gets very warm and even has a hot warning symbol and that’s just how it’s designed to operate. Don’t think it’s an issue on any of these DD motors, it’s not like the cheap small things in belt/gear wheels that need to be cooled otherwise they’d have fans too rather than bare motors.

Upvote 0
I’ve read the Kollmorgen on the Bodnar gets very warm and even has a hot warning symbol and that’s just how it’s designed to operate. Don’t think it’s an issue on any of these DD motors, it’s not like the cheap small things in belt/gear wheels that need to be cooled otherwise they’d have fans too rather than bare motors.

Yea it's not an issue, I spoke to Leo about it.
Most of the time my 53 is just warm to touch.

But I have have felt it quite hot at times.

Upvote 0
Yea it's not an issue, I spoke to Leo about it.
Most of the time my 53 is just warm to touch.

But I have have felt it quite hot at times.
Given the industrial applications these wheels are really designed for, us messing around driving cars for a few hours is child’s play for them.

Now if it’s the Fanatec Podium wheel with its custom motor or this FeelVR thing then I’d be concerned.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

iRacing does best and has best implementation of OSW’s (direct drives generally speaking!) rest of sim titles are simply lacking support, willingness to implement and limping behind.
I would like to hear more on that as used iRacing with OSW and didn't find it that exceptional at all, the lowest FFB sample rate as well (60Hz). There are titles out there with better FFB.
And rocafella, are you on SimuCube or IONICube, just curious?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Big Mige is less "Active" which gives it a more natural feel at pretty much any power level.

Mainly this is due to the added static inertia "weight of armature" and the winding.
Tuning the Big Mige is a little easier as it has a more consistent variation over the % of filtering.

The Small will be more "Active" which means faster to respond but it does come at a little bit of the cost of realism.. Some of this speed can be tuned out but not all.

Due to its weight there is only so far you can filter in certain methods before feel starts to get compromised.

There is also not that much difference in motor size.
You can always make motor slower with extra dampening but you can't make it faster.
Running cooler, what is that? Small Mige doesn't get even slightly warm during heavy racing sessions, what do you do with that to make it hot?

Upvote 0
After Logitech G25 - G27 - TM T500RS - Fanatec CSL and CSW V2, I now jumped on the OSW train too.
Bought a Small Mige (Biss-C) from SimRacingBay, with shielded cables and a steering wheel from SSRG with Holger Q1R quick release.
Will be shipped as soon as they are available (starting next week - I hope) --- stoked !! :geek:

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years