OSW settings sharing and feedback thread

As OSW's become more common place, I thought it might help if we used a single thread to share feedback and our findings for different games.

One of the things I've started is doing a control experiment where I run the same car at the same track with the stock setup while making adjustments to Simucube, ini's and in game settings. Then I run laps and write down the difference. I think a spec format followed by an overall impressions could work so people can easily go down the thread and pick out things that work for them.

Game: Assetto Corsa
Track: Nordschleife
MiGe Motor size: 20nm
Settings Version: 1.0
Car: Porsche 911 RSR
Setup changes: Stock
Laptime range: 6:43 - 6:46
Assetto Corsa ini changes:
[HEADER]
VERSION=1
TYPE=GAMMA
ENABLED=0

[GAMMA]
VALUE=1

[LUT]
CURVE=crazy1.lut

location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini
[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
FF_SKIP_STEPS=0

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
ENABLE_GYRO=1
DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0
DAMPER_GAIN=0.0

Simucube:
upload_2018-8-14_23-41-47.png

Assetto Corsa In-Game settings:
upload_2018-8-14_23-40-43.png

Impressions:

So far I've found this to setup to give a great sense of the car, the road and the intensity of driving a high performance car at a demanding track. As my primary goal is immersion and track substitution, the feedback aspects are something I prioritize over outright laptimes. I expect the laptimes to improve as a byproduct of experience but getting the right motion cues and building up the muscle memory appropriately (within the limitations of a game world) are my first priority. I found this setup to work great with anything from a MX5 to a F2004. For AC atleast, I feel that I can stop tinkering and just enjoy the game.

• Deleted member 197115

AC made crash impact much more civil recently. But if you fall through the mesh on some mod tracks, oh boy.
Plus if you have kids around, it's a good habit to push emergency button every time you get out of the racing chair.

Upvote 0
AC made crash impact much more civil recently. But if you fall through the mesh on some mod tracks, oh boy.
Plus if you have kids around, it's a good habit to push emergency button every time you get out of the racing chair.

Lol, you have No idea how bad the "fall of death" is with motion....makes shi* go bananas....2 in 1 kill switch would be handy, I could just care less to add another "contact block" to my motion Switch...so i quickly go for Motion first, and then Wheel. Being they are Right on top of each other.

Upvote 0
I hate when certain titles force the telemetry output to the motion platform even when you've stopped controlling the vehicle, as in replays and such. Raceroom has done it to me as had Dirt Rally. SO annoying.

Upvote 0
Just set up my SRB small MiGE for the first time. (Configuration successful)

For my first time out, I've created a Simucube profile for AC as per @RobertR1 suggestion and configured the in-game FFB accordingly. (Albeit I'm using Content Manager)

The wheel set up was no issue in terms of recognition and axis output when I turn the wheel (and this remains the case) but when I get out on track, I have no steering at all.

Have I missed something obvious?

Cheers,

Steve

Upvote 0

For my first time out, I've created a Simucube profile for AC as per @RobertR1 suggestion and configured the in-game FFB accordingly. (Albeit I'm using Content Manager)

The wheel set up was no issue in terms of recognition and axis output when I turn the wheel (and this remains the case) but when I get out on track, I have no steering at all.

Cheers,

Steve

Have you followed this

Upvote 0

Cheers,

Steve

I'm all good. :) Looks like I might have a dodgy USB card. Swapped over and worked immediately.

First impressions......Epic!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I'm sure I read somewhere earlier today that you consider yourself responsible for influencing others in to such gratuitous, excessive expenditure! :roflmao: Well consider yourself 'guilty' again buddy!

So yes, I went for it. Was waiting for the Podium series if truth be told but a combination of factors, plenty of research plus the fact that there is no front mounting option to utilise my Sim Labs wheel mount where the Fanatec is concerned (unlike the CSW2.5 surprisingly), put me off a little so I got in touch with Tomo.

Have only literally finished setting up but wow, I'm so impressed!

Upvote 0
I hate when certain titles force the telemetry output to the motion platform even when you've stopped controlling the vehicle, as in replays and such. Raceroom has done it to me as had Dirt Rally. SO annoying.

Simtools has a Nice handy "stop all Telemetry" feature for those situations. But yes in general its rather annoying in Replays ect ect.

The Dirt Rally issue is Totally Codies F up, when you cross the Finish line, they dont turn off the telemetry but what they DO do, Is allow the telemetry to continue as if the car kept on driving with AI Driver inputs making the Rig go NUTTERS till the UI kicked in and gave you the results. SOOO Stupid of Codies its not even funny.

Upvote 0
Well consider yourself 'guilty' again buddy!

Excellent. My work is fruitful then. Once again, as with the rest of the gear you will thank me later :)

If you need some help with the settings, I have most titles feeling pretty good. Granted they are not my settings per se, a simple Youtube search will net you SKeijmel's channel and he is the one I use. Tested most of them and they seem to be pretty good so I've just stuck with them. One tip, with rFactor 2 if you use it, turn the filtering up to around at least 10, maybe 15 to 20 is better though. That makes the feeling a lot less like wood and more rubber like. It's weird that rFactor 2 of all sims needs more filtering (this is in game filtering in the control settings menu) to feel good but once you do turn it up it helps a lot.

Upvote 0
Simtools has a Nice handy "stop all Telemetry" feature for those situations. But yes in general its rather annoying in Replays ect ect.

Is this software free? I might get it if it is, and run it in the background. It's the worst in Raceroom because you actually want to dial in settings when you've completed the session. With the motion bouncing around it's impossible. Same with DR actually with the shakedown. So dumb.

Upvote 0
Is this software free? I might get it if it is, and run it in the background. It's the worst in Raceroom because you actually want to dial in settings when you've completed the session. With the motion bouncing around it's impossible. Same with DR actually with the shakedown. So dumb.

Correct ShakeDown in DR also does it like crazy.

Simtools is Free to builders or has a DIY license available. Which motion system do you have ?

Upvote 0
Excellent. My work is fruitful then. Once again, as with the rest of the gear you will thank me later :)

If you need some help with the settings, I have most titles feeling pretty good. Granted they are not my settings per se, a simple Youtube search will net you SKeijmel's channel and he is the one I use. Tested most of them and they seem to be pretty good so I've just stuck with them. One tip, with rFactor 2 if you use it, turn the filtering up to around at least 10, maybe 15 to 20 is better though. That makes the feeling a lot less like wood and more rubber like. It's weird that rFactor 2 of all sims needs more filtering (this is in game filtering in the control settings menu) to feel good but once you do turn it up it helps a lot.

Have to say buddy that only a few days in I'm blown away by the OSW so yep, credit and thanks are certainly due! :)

To me at least, Assetto Corsa feels absolutely fantastic with regards general feedback and natural and detailed road feel. (I'm using @RobertR1 's settings) RFactor2 is not too far behind, (I took your suggestion on board, which made a big difference) although I've a little more research and experimenting to do yet. I'll be setting up PC2 later this week to see how that fares (I'll try the JackSpade DD files as these worked well with my CSW) but the biggest disappointment so far, especially compared to the aforementioned, is Race Room, which is a great shame as it's a title I used to really enjoy. Just feels really unnatural and 'floaty' in terms of road feel and the communication back to the rim is poor as a result. Unfortunately this seems to be a widely shared view when digging around various forums. There are certainly a wide variety of different set-ups out there to try though, especially where the in-game settings are concerned so I'll keep tweaking. @RaceNut has been good enough to share his settings with me, which feel decent to be fair but feedback is still not a patch on the aforementioned titles, IMHO of course.

Maybe it's just a case of getting used to it, especially as it's still very early days for me where this direct-drive kit is concerned.

So any suggestions welcome!

Upvote 0
Raceroom was certainly a title that stood out to me too, Steve, as one that did not feel even as good as with the CSW. However, a little time with it and some basic tweaks have got me to a stage where I am comfortable driving in it. I race in a non serious series on Tueday nights in Raceroom and have not found myself wanting in terms of the FFB, at least not now. I will post some of my in game settings to give a comparison to what you are using now. This title also needs some damper added in game, much like rFactor 2, to get a better feel out of the wheel. 10% is usually enough for me. Damping might seem counter intuitive for a direct drive wheel, but with the power and speed that it has, it's actually beneficial and helps to remove some of the 'woody' feel the tires can portray. With some damping added, you regain that rubbery feel of the tires that you would expect, while pretty much keeping all the other detail the wheel offers. With normal consumer wheels, damping makes the wheel feel heavy, while in a direct drive wheel, it helps balance out the power and raw-ness of the motor in titles that don't do it inherently.

You don't need to mess with too many settings with a DD wheel, but the ones that require tweaking are important and really must be tuned to get the most out of it. Raceroom suffers a little due to the amount of effects it allows you to tune yourself (lateral force, vertical forces, understeer effect, steering rack feel vs tires feel, etc.) and this can confuse things when setting up. Assetto Corsa and rFactor (and AMS for that matter, which hasn't been mentioned yet) give you a gain slider and that's pretty much it (apart from some canned effects in AC which we have already discussed in previous posts). Give 100% steering forces, 50% understeer effect, 50% vertical forces, 100% lateral forces and 100% steering rack forces a go. Leave the minimum forces at 0% and put around 10% damper on as well. Leave the bottom effects at zero, and put your in game FFB slider at around 30 - 40% with the Simucube profile slider set at 100%. That's what I use, without editing any other files.

rFactor 2 has a small tweak to the controller.json file that I use, but the biggest thing was adding the filter. That was huge for me.

Give them settings a go and see if it removes the floaty feel. I reckon having lateral forces set at 100% will help a lot combined with the damping.

Upvote 0
To kick the bucket on an one year old topic... :roflmao:
Since three days I also own an OSW, so I was in search for settings/profiles/boose/help/etc. in RaceRoom Experience.
I came across a video of John, on YouTube and tried his settings... man, what a difference!
I highly recommend you try this out.

For those who want to try them out but do not want to scroll through the timeline on YouTube, I extracted the FFB settings of the .rcs -file. You can copy and paste them or type them over... that's up to you ;)
Code:
FFB Device Name="SimuCUBE"
FFB Device Name Alternative="none"
FFB Rumble Pad="0" // Type of FFB controller:  0=wheel, joystick etc with force feedback, 1 = pad with rumble motor
FFB Gain="0.5" // Strength of Force Feedback effects.  Range 0.0 to 1.0.
FFB Min Force="0.0" // Minumum force, from 0.0 to 1.0
FFB Min Force Linear Percentage="0.01" // Minumum force linear percentage
FFB Throttle FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
FFB Brake FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
FFB stationary friction="0.0" // Amount of friction applied to the steering wheel when vehicle is stationary
FFB stationary friction speed="2.7780001" // Below this speed the stationary friction starts to be applied, in m/s
FFB steer vibe freq mult="1.0" // Controls frequency of steering vibration. Recommended: 0.5 to 1.0, 0.0 disables steering vibration.
FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.0" // Magnitude of steering vibration at 0mph (reference point).
FFB steer vibe slope="0.0" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB steer vibe zero magnitude).
FFB steer vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB steer force average weight="1.0" // How much weight is given to new steering force calculations each frame (0.01 - 1.0). Lower values will smooth out the steering force, but will also add latency.
FFB steer force exponent="1.0" // Steering force output "sensitivity".  Range 0.0 to infinity.  0.0 to 1.0 = higher sensitivity, greater than 1.0 = lower sensitivity.
FFB steer force input max="11500.0" // Recommended: 11500 (-11500 if controller pulls in the wrong direction).
FFB steer force output max="0.6" // Maximum force output of steering force, recommendation 0.8 to 2.0
FFB steer force grip weight="1.0" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9.  How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.
FFB steer force front grip exponent="0.5" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0.  Exponent applied to grip weight.
FFB steer force rear grip exponent="1.0" // Range 0.0 to infinity, recommended: around 1.0.  Exponent applied to rear grip loss weight.
FFB steer damper coefficient="0.25" // Coefficient to use for steering damper.  Range: -1.0 to 1.0
FFB steer damper saturation="1.0" // Saturation value to use for steering damper.  Range: 0 - 1.0
FFB steer force balance mode="0" // Mode for how to add the steering forces together (lateral, load and diff).  Acceptable values: 0 = lat + load + diff, 1 = sqrt(lat^2 + load^2 + diff^2), 2 = sqrt(lat^2 + load^2) + diff, 3 = sqrt(lat^2 + (load + diff)^2), 4 = sqrt((lat + load)^2 + diff^2)
FFB steer load multiplier="0.5" // Multiplier for vertical load on front tires.  Range: 0 - infinity
FFB steer lateral multiplier="0.5" // Multiplier for lateral forces.  Range: 0 - infinity
FFB steer rack factor="0.38" // How much of the lateral forces comes from steering rack.  Range: 0 - 1.0
FFB steer load change exponent="0.9" // Exponent for the change in load on front tires.  Range: 0 - infinity
FFB steer load change breakpoint="1.0" // Breakpoint (value that will not be changed) for the exponent on the change in load on front tires.  Range: 0 - infinity
FFB steer spring coefficient="0.0" // Coefficient for steering spring. Range: 0.0 - 1.0
FFB throttle vibe freq mult="1.0" // Scales actual engine frequency to force FFB vibration frequency.  Suggested range: 0.10 to 0.50
FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.025" // Magnitude of engine vibration at 0rpm (reference point).
FFB throttle vibe slope="0.0" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude).
FFB throttle vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.18" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is.  Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
FFB rumble strip freq mult="2.0" // Rumble stip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
FFB rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
FFB rumble strip pull factor="0.5" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
FFB jolt magnitude="0.0" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are.  Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
FFB shift jolt magnitude="0.25" // How strong jolts you get from shifting.  Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
FFB shift effect duration="0.05" // Duration of shift effect in seconds
FFB slip effect="0.65" // Slip effect, from 0.0 to 1.0
ffb slip freq multiplier="1.0" // Slip effect frequency. 1.0f = 1 cycle per wheel rev
ffb slip wave type="0" // Slip effect wave type
FFB pedal throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.0" // Throttle pedal vibration at 0rpm (reference point)
FFB pedal throttle vibe slope="0.0"
FFB pedal throttle slip vibe="1.0" // Throttle pedal vibration on tire slip
FFB pedal brake slip vibe="1.0" // Brake pedal vibration on front tire slip
FFB pedal brake vibe slope="5.0" // Slope for brake pedal vibration based on speed and braking %

Upvote 0
I used the AccuForce preset that already has similar adjustments made to the rcs file, and went from there. I also turned "Steering Rack Forces" to zero (Enabled causes notchy feeling near center) and with that turned off, there should be little to no need to use as much Dampening in RR-FFB. Otherwise, my settings are pretty close.

Upvote 0
Well Dean, I did try your settings and I must admit; they even feel better... :thumbsup:
Quite happy with the picture at the moment. Will try this out for a couple of weeks. Thanks man :notworthy:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back