Opinion | Real or Fantasy?

I'm loving this thread because one of the video ideas I've been kicking around lately is a review of fantasy tracks in AC.

I would agree with what's already becoming a consensus: If the imaginary track "feels" real, then why not jump in and enjoy it?

I think part of the attraction of sim tracks that are based on real-life counterparts is that you could, at least theoretically, go there in real life and take a few laps, or at least watch a real race. There's that pang of regret when you find a really spectacular fantasy track that you love to race on, then realize that you'll never be able to go there in person, and see your favorite real-world drivers there. But as much as we focus on the simulation aspect here, we neglect the consideration that we're also playing a game, and it can be just as fun to imagine Audi and Porsche LMP1s fighting for the overall victory at the 24 Hours of Sveg, or a pitched battle among GTLM cars at Weatherfield.

The other issue with imaginary tracks is that they tend to be limited to one game, whereas a real-world track might be found in multiple places. It's hard enough to learn how to be fast in multiple sims; it's harder when half your knowledge has to be thrown out because it was gained on a track that doesn't exist in the sim you're learning. Spa will still be Spa whether you're in GT Sport or iRacing or RaceRoom or AC, but your expert knowledge of the perfect lines around Horsma won't help you anywhere else. The AC modding community has been quietly solving this by creating lookalikes from other games in AC, but it's still true that knowledge of a real-world track in one sim will be portable to other sims and help jumpstart your experience of learning those other games more quickly.

(BTW, I have a pretty extensive list of fantasy AC tracks to review already, but I'm welcome to suggestions! ;))

Both. The obvious draw of real tracks is that you get to race on the same tracks as your favourite drivers, and recreate your favourite series. But for me as long as a track provides good, fun racing I really couldn't care less if it was real or fantasy.

The "fantasy" circuits could become reality int the future (not very likely but possible). What I would want the most -especially for open world tracks- is a living environment with wind in trees and gras, insects, flying birds and other small animals.

I'll add to the sentiment that I like both real and fantasy tracks.

Racing on a real track makes me feel like a real race car driver, as silly as that may sound - or maybe not - we're all racing fans, right? I love being able to learn the real layout, the best lines, the feel of every corner, with the hopes of one day being able to drive/race there in real life. I love watching real races, keeping an eye on everyone's lap times, and seeing how close I can replicate them. It makes me feel like I could jump in a real car and be competitive with the very best.

On the other hand, some fantasy tracks are just downright amazing. As long as it's done realistically, who cares if it's not actually real? If you put me on a fantasy track that I can't tell isn't based on the real thing, that's when you've done it right. Tracks like Fonteny, Blackwood, Horsma, and Aosta to name a few. It only sucks that they'll never be constructed in real life, and I'll never be able to actually drive them.

I think it's also about circuit racing vs. rally racing. A F1 enthusiast may know all the tracks of the current or last season by heart and judge the tracks in the game how well they are made. But how many WRC enthusiasts know every meter of all the tracks from special stages from the last season?

Both for me. I enjoy real and fantasy tracks just as much.

As a discussion point, most 'real' tracks are fantasy tracks to me. I've driven many UK tracks and a few European ones, never any further afield. Sure the tracks look like circuits I see on TV but how could I ever judge if they feel real or not? I've often heard real racing drivers saying games helped them learn the layout of a new track but not the feel of driving it.

The real tracks might look and feel real at the point in time they were made but that is all. Resurfacing even part of a track (eg Bedford Autodrome - which in itself has many alternate layouts) or a slight reprofiling of a corner (Pembrey for Truck racing) can change them significantly to the point where previous lap times are largely irrelevant.

I'm yet to see anyone driving a real car on an alternative (fantasy?) layout of a real track get out with anything but a huge grin.

Games being close enough to reality is good enough for me. As good as these games are they are nowhere near replicating the feel of a Caterham R400 feeling like it's being blown off the track by a huge crosswind at Angelsey Circuit and then decelerating up the hill into the same, now, headwind.

For all those reasons fantasy tracks in games are often as good as any of the 'real' tracks.

I like both yet I prefer fantasy tracks more. Online racing or AI racing is fun and all but cruising through the woods or over a mountain or along the coast, that does the thing for me. I live in a small, flat, dry, somewhat dead town. It is the only way for me to experience the outside world at this stage. AC made this possible. And now that I can make tracks myself and drive them in VR make such a huge difference. I don't take it to serious though, in the end I drive and make for myself, but nothing beats the feeling of sharing and knowing others also drive on what you laid down. So amazing the times we live in.

My tracks are in-complete at the moment I know. From fantasy I managed to learn 3d concepts, UV unwrapping, baking, texturing and so much more, for that I am proud of myself as I really struggled till that 'aha' moments. 2 years already. I am getting the relevant experience and incorporating it into my tracks for a more ‘real’ experience.

I try to make (find & drive) long tracks because where I live I cannot go for such a drive, let alone a race of any sort whatsoever. And with all the new Quality tracks added lately I definitely feel the pressure. The journey is difficult with life that does not involve anything 3D related, yet I seem to spend hundreds of hours to make things for others. Laying down the road one night at a time…

I only race real and preferably circuits where the cars and series I'm racing actually perform as it gives me a baseline. I sim race to experience what real drivers experience. It's also why I'm not really a fan of mods (I play a few AC and RF2 mods) because there is that risk that something in a mod could be completely wrong more so than if it came from the developer.

A track is a track. It's just a series of straights connected by turns. Makes no difference if it's real or not, that's purely psychological just like deciding which direction to drive on the track and which direction to call "regular" and "reverse." Whether the track happens to also have been built somewhere on Earth or not, whether one direction or the other is considered "reverse," that's all just psychological.

Of course if the fantasy track is a ridiculous, unrealistic design like having a 5 360 degree spirals in a row, 10 zig-zag corners in a row, 200 feet jumps, speedbumps or other objects (rocks, signs, etc.) on the middle of the track then that's a different story, lol.

P.S. ISI have the best fantasy tracks I've ever personally experienced. Toban, Mills, Essington, Lienz, Sardian Heights, Orchard Lake in RF1 & RF2 and all the different configurations & directions are amazing (I just wish there was a reverse option for every config).

Last edited:
Laser scans of real tracks can offer a certain level of advantage, but fictional circuits don't have to deal with real world constraints like safety and infrastructure and so on in the same way, so it winds up being difficult.

I just want Rome-Night from Gran Turismo 2 modded into Assetto Corsa honestly

I'm happy with both - as long as the fantasy track feels real.

As a side note, this thread has been an invaluable source of info - I had no idea Mills Metro was a fictional track, until I read it here! Plus, I hadnt heard of Gentrack before, but wow, I spent pretty much my entire evening ripping around it - its sublime!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.