Opinion | Real or Fantasy?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Racing is a simulation of real motorsport - but many racers also enjoy some of the many scratch built fantasy circuits available in our favourite sims - what's your opinion on the real and virtual debate?

Do you get your kicks from racing on the same (virtual) tarmac as your motorsport heros? Do you find your fun in the fight against your rivals or even your own laptimes? Does the circuit really matter so long as it's an enjoyable experience?

We each enjoy our hobby in a different way, for different reasons, with no real 'right' answer as to how best to get the most from our sim racing experience.

One question I would love to ask you all is about the world of fantasy content (only dealing with tracks in this feature, cars will follow later...). At the head of this article I've put together a little poll asking if you have interest in fantasy created circuits, or if the only way to race is on replications of the real deal.

Throw down a vote and let us know your opinions in the poll below!

Sim Racing is awesome!

Sim Poll - Real or Fantasy Tracks.jpg

Image: Pinewood GP Assetto Corsa mod

Last edited:

M D Gourley

Premium
Both for me also and as KittX says above 'Especially if the fantasy circuits are made like they were real'....as I feel the Developers / Track artists have more scope to try ideas and do not have to worry about licenses to use name brand tracks...Wreckfest come to my mind as everything is fantasy but the Cars and Tracks have a realistic / believable look to them...and yes, even the 'Hellride' track....LOL:inlove:

Actually some Wreckfest tracks are real Finnish and Norwegian folk racing tracks, with fake names. Majority of them are fictional though

For me, it depends, in very serious sims I prefer real tracks. On the other hand, for example rally games fictional can be really good, for example WRC games. Their stages are just more interesting than those of Dirt Rally, even when DR has real stages

I like them, track is a track. Especially if it gets well made and most importantly gets a good layout/layouts, like for example Horsma track.

I have one track that has a layout that was used only few years IRL and some of it was demolished so I allowed myself to use slight fantasy for a missing part.

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
I wonder how many people, who have played rFactor back in the days, know that Toban, Mill Metro Park, etc were all fantasy tracks.

Personally I love a well done fantasy track more than yet another Spa, Nurb, Silverstone etc.

Secondly most real tracks were fake in the sketch phase and only became real once constructed on real soil.

More fantasy for me!

I’ve been on some terrible mod tracks. The good news is, that on AC at least, there are now a host of great fantasy tracks. I also lump historic tracks that no longer exist into this category. I am blown away by the creativity of people who are creating these gems. If you try to create your own track, even just drawing the outline, it’s hard to not be redundant and derivative - at least for me.

Sim Racing is a simulation of real motorsport - but many racers also enjoy some of the many scratch built fantasy circuits available in our favourite sims - what's your opinion on the real and virtual debate?

Do you get your kicks from racing on the same (virtual) tarmac as your motorsport heros? Do you find your fun in the fight against your rivals or even your own laptimes? Does the circuit really matter so long as it's an enjoyable experience?

We each enjoy our hobby in a different way, for different reasons, with no real 'right' answer as to how best to get the most from our sim racing experience.

One question I would love to ask you all is about the world of fantasy content (only dealing with tracks in this feature, cars will follow later...). At the head of this article I've put together a little poll asking if you have interest in fantasy created circuits, or if the only way to race is on replications of the real deal.

Throw down a vote and let us know your opinions in the poll below!

Sim Racing is awesome!

View attachment 344039

Image: Pinwood GP Assetto Corsa mod
* Pinewood

Thanks for posting my track as screenshot. BTW I loaded some more recent screenshots on modpage, this one is only from first release.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000