Opinion | Real or Fantasy?

Definitely both.

On the fantasy side: North Point, Chatham, Sardian Park from Sports Car GT (yeah, quite an old one, but lot of memories), Grand Valley, Trial Mountain, Autumn Ring from Gran Turismo, La Dehesa, Reservoir GP, Hills of Death from rFactor 1, Fonteny, Gentrack from Assetto Corsa and many more.

Real life favorites are quite standard, Nürburgring-Norschleife, Circuit de la Sarthe, Spa-Francorchamps, Monza, Suzuka, Fuji, Zhejiang, Sebring, Daytone, Kyalami etc.

I think that fantasy tracks are great, you can experience something that’s not possible in the real world. Race on tracks that’s no longer exists. Race on tracks with no safety features. A good fantasy track can be much better than a real world one, because it doesn’t need to use the same rules. My favorite track is a fantasy track. (Fonteny).
For most of us, all tracks are fantasy tracks, it’s not like you are training for a race at that track. But I like both. Laser scanned tracks are awesome!

In the end a track can be fun to drive and race regardless if it is real or not. There are real tracks that are boring and uninteresting and there are fictional tracks that are great fun. Personally for me I've been doing simracing quite some time and so I've driven so many real tracks that sometimes simply driving a new track regardless of its quality (as long as it doesn't suffer from staircasis) is fun because it is a new experience. I really enjoyed driving the Ningbo and Slovakiaring tracks in raceroom because I had not driven them much if at all previously. I also liked driving the Calabogie in ac. I also made an nfs3 track in ac and even that was fun. So at least for me if the track offers good set of corners that are fun to drive the fact that whether it is real or not doesn't matter for me.

I still remember downloading and driving some fictional tracks in grand prix legends. Some of them were really really fun and original and really well made too. I never felt out that it was unrealistic or that I was missing out because I drove a track that no '67 f1 car has ever been driven on.

I probably prefer the real tracks but I really enjoy both. Prague in AC (ripped from Forza 7) was one of the first tracks I tried and still remains one of my favourite fictional street tracks. They tend to be more fun with interesting corners and great scenery. RaceRoom Raceway is another example.

Many mod tracks for AC are fictional but based on real roads, or a reconstruction of tracks that do not exist any longer. Being this a racing sim, the fact they relate to a real road or to a track that has existed before makes them a tad more interesting or "magic" to me, if you want. Completely fictional tracks may as well be awesome but certainly do not come with that.. business card? Also, completely fictional tracks may have road layouts that are not realistic. I remember loving the fictional Lake Louise mod track for AC, but I could not shake off the feeling that some of the road layout was just impossible in real life.

Last edited:
Both, only if the Fantasy tracks have the quality of Gran Turismo Series fantasy tracks, as we know since Gran Turismo 1 from PSX we have tons of fantasy tracks on it and i think they are iconic and they'll be amazing in real life as well.

I like both. For me the "Fantasy" tracks by Fat-Alfie are among the best. Has a beautiful old school flow to it. Even though they are actual roads. Sergio Loro does an amazing job on older tracks where I mostly find myself as well these days..............as I really enjoy the challenge of the vintage cars. The true tracks are great too, in a proper kit.

I don't get why three options are needed in the poll. I guess, because of aarticle title, not the poll question.

Obviously no one ever will prefer fantasy over real track (unless real track is really bad maybe ?). But it doesn't mean that preference is the only option in this case... Just like with cars, I bet most simracers prefer GT3 cars, but it doesn't mean that only those are interesting for most people and nothing else.

It is curious how the vote is going, yet if you were to judge by online servers, real wins out by a huge margin. Similar thing when it comes to car models... the cry has been for DLC rather than fantasy cars.

I only like real tracks and real cars because to me a big part of the attraction of sim racing is learning more about racing. When I watch a race taking place at a track that I simraced on, I appreciate a lot more what's going on, because I know the specific challenges of that specific track. For example, when I watch the Japanese GP, I am aware of how challenging Suzuka is. That's just one example, but I could mention dozens more if I wanted to. (Just like I've never watched the Monaco GP the same way after travelling there in April 2002. If you've never been there, trust me: it's even narrower and tighter than what you probably imagine!!)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back