Omit Adaptive AI for individual track difficulty?

Msportdan

@Simberia
I know a lot of criticsm for RRe is against its adaptive AI and how it doesnt really work as designed. But on the whole the actual AI is quite impressive (minus a few odd incidents).

So i was thinking and S3s now listening to their customers, that maybe they could replace the adaptive AI system for a individual track by track AI level difficulty. This way you can then set your own difficulty per track to your skill. This rids the problem of some tracks being more difficult than others, and unbalanced AI.

A good example given by William further down.....

"In the real world racers adapt to different tracks relative to their God given talent but in the virtual world AI racers may exhibit programming related limitations or idiosyncrasies. Take two oval tracks, I assume the programmed AI would perform similarly on both tracks but then compare an oval with another more technically diverse track the AI may run into inherent problems related very tight and twisty tracks. My assumptions would support the need for track specific AI settings to even things out."

I want to get some numbers of users that would like to see this happen or who wouldnt, and see if the devs (with users backing this) would consider this.

so..........

Last edited:
Ive read that adaptive AI is a waste of time as it takes too long for them to adapt to your speed, so you spend the whole first season getting the Ai to adapt and you wnning races by 20 seconds. yes you can set the % of AI, but when you do a season this value will always remain and be unchangeable. So wouldnt a per track settings be good, (as long as the game remembered that is) so you could have a balanced season with the AI?

adaptive ai does work , but not if the first thing you run is a championship (this being in the r3e side i didnt realise you were talking championships /dtm) easiest way is to run a few short races at every track and that way they get some reasonable info *****;

As for the rest well , a championship is run over many rounds , some tracks you/yourcar/and setup will be great other tracks you may be better or worse , so having worse tracks is normal and all part of the season for me , when i race a championship i tend to spend a while on the tracks im crap on , workig on them etc , getting to understand them ...;

At present in dtm 2013 i was using adaptive ai on thez championship , some i won some i didnt on dtm 2014 im still teaching the ai .... but in single races if im not ading to the adaptive ai i use 105% and get to learn some more .;..

im glad it takes a while and practice to both teach myself and the ai to race ; keeps the challenge fresh

Andi

okay. maybe ill give this adaptive ai a go.
So just go through the tracks one by one, then do a season/or single race?
So how many races and laps would you suggest the AI need?
also when i exit the game the settings remain i take it?

I use adaptive only, they need about 3 sessions to adapt your speed.
Some tracks I win and some I loose, that's life.
On some tracks 120% AI isn't fast enough for me, adaptive is my best solution.

It's good to delete the AI file after a big patch, sometimes it's screwed up because of the changes.

i tend to do a lap in each quali (dont know if its needed) and then a short race , for each circuit , then test adaptive if its wrong i do it again , and its ok

just to say on the tracks i run a lot in cars im good with i have ai running a few tenths either side of me ...
if i need to practice a circuit that im not great on i tend to run the ai @105% and start at the back of the grid , do a few 15 minute races and see were i get as such

Andi

C:\Users\Peter\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience \UserData\Player1\aiadaptation

When I drive DTM 2014, I have a hard time keeping up with Mattias Ekström.

It puts me in the middle, but I need to push hard to race with the fastest

Do AI really keep my level in memory for a given track even after few days?
I'm almost sure I experienced that:
Day 1.
- 1st race: I win with almost 1 lap ahead
- 3rd race: Arrgh!! I'm 15th on the grid.
Then, I shut up the computer (not because I don't like to be 15th but because it was bier time in pub with friends)
Day 2:
- Morning: Sleep
- Afternoon: Headache
- Evening: 1st race on same track and again I win with huge gap.
After that I stopped to use adaptative AI. But reading this thread I will maybe try again.

never used the AdaptAI, do they create a new AI-Path with new brake/throttle points?

e.g. Laguna Seca - the AI, no matter what cars, AI are driving the corner which comes after "the corkscrew" pretty slow (guranteed overtake or rearbump), so would the AdaptAI take this corner as fast as i would do or do they just increase laptimes generelly, adapt to my laptimes?

I just ran 3 races against the AI (I've deleted the Adaptive AI.xlm file as suggested): 2 Adaptive and 1 AI set at 120%

SEAT LEON WTCC on Portimao (Default Setup)
1st Adaptive
Grid Position at start: 8th
Final Result: 1st with ~34s from the 2nd
Best Time: 1:53:4

2nd Adaptive
Final Result: 1st with ~5s from the 2nd
Best Time: 1:52:7 (See screenshot)
2014-11-21_00001.jpg

3rd AI 120%
Final Result: DNF (Lost a tyre in a crash)
Best Time: 1:52:8
Best AI: 1:47:8 :confused::confused::confused:

I'm curious to see what will happen on the third race with the Adaptive AI...

What I can tell is that the Adaptive AI gives its worst on Lagos, Torre Vip, 8th/9th (why there?!) Portimao and 13th... so pretty much on the 33% of the track

Autódromo_de_Algarve.svg.png

I deleted my Ai files and followed the above info by doing a practice, quality than a short race which I won quit easily, when I went to the next track the adaptive Ai was much better in which I finished 3rd.
Iam gonna go through all my tracks doing this, so as of know I can say the adaptive Ai seems to be working quit well :)

One major concern I have for adaptive..

What if you have a race and have a total nightmare, cant do good laps or have a horrid qualy, will it then use this as your best? Or will it always remember your best lap?

I think the latter should be the case.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back