Nvidia Video Cards + Drivers

Well I've just tried this but I won't be game to say it's fixed until atleast a week with no crashes. Also, next to the thing to change the Display power settings, there is a thing saying "Adaptive Display" On/Off. What does this mean?

The Adaptive Display adjusts the amount of time before the display turns off
if it detects keyboard or mouse activity right after the display turns off.
The idea is that you don't want it off, so if it happens a few times, it
prolongs it.

I've been plagued with this screen freeze problem aswell running an 8800gt and more recently a 9800gt, both suffered from random screen freeze but I found the cure!!! I bought a 4870 and haven't had a problem since, I've always used Nvidia but this screen freeze carry on has really put me off :frown:

New Nvidia 178.24 WHQL Drivers

*sigh* yet another Nvidia driver release and still nowhere near the 180's. Anyhow for the adventurous they're in the usual place.

Vista x64
http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-178.24-WHQL-Vista-64-bit-download-2091.html

Vista x32
http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-178.24-WHQL-Vista-32-bit-download-2092.html

XP x32
http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-178.24-WHQL-XP-32-bit-download-2089.html

XP x64
http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-Forceware-178.24-WHQL-XP-64-bit-download-2090.html
Adds support for newly-released GeForce 9-series motherboard GPUs.

NVIDIA just released an updated ForceWare driver. It's build 178.24 and carries WHQL certification, meaning it received two thumbs up from microsoft.

New in Version 178.24:

• [*]Includes several application compatibility fixes. Please read the release documentation for more details.
Release 178 Highlights:

• [*]WHQL-certified driver for GeForce 6-series, 7-series, 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs.
    [*]Adds support for GeForce 9800 GTX+, 9800 GT, 9500 GT, and 9400 GT GPUs.
    [*]Adds support for NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory (this driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v8.09.04).
    [*]Experience GPU PhysX acceleration in several full games and demos today by downloading the GeForce Power Pack.
    [*]Adds support for 2-way and 3-way NVIDIA SLI technology with GeForce GTX 200-series GPUs on Intel® D5400XS motherboards.
    [*]Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including 3-way and Quad SLI technology.
    [*]Supports CUDA™.
    [*]Supports Folding@home distributing computing application. Download the high performance client for NVIDIA GPUs here and join the NVIDIA team: #131015.
    [*]Supports NVIDIA GeForce 3D Stereo Technology.
    [*]Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
    [*]Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with Release 178 drivers versus v175.19 WHQL driver:
    • Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
    • Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
    • Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
    • Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
    • Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    • 2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
    • 2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
    • 2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    • 2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10

[*]Includes numerous 3D application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.
These drivers do include the PhysX 8.09.04 driver, too.

Will give 'em a whirl later.

• vmagics

Thanks for the links, it's been a while since I updated:thumb:
Adds support for NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory (this driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v8.09.04).
Does this mean that my 8800GTX is going to be able to do something which it couldn't do before or is it as I suspect, the same as before but one or two games which I don't own will see a 0.001% increase in performance providing I have a very specific motherboard/cpu/ram... again which I don't own?

Does this mean that my 8800GTX is going to be able to do something which it couldn't do before or is it as I suspect, the same as before but one or two games which I don't own will see a 0.001% increase in performance providing I have a very specific motherboard/cpu/ram... again which I don't own?

See the screenies in Post 10 here
http://forum.racedepartment.com/technical-support-forum/6287-nvidia-geforce-powerpack.html

This was with the first 177.83 & PhysX combo on an 8800GTX using 3D Mark Vantage. Definitely did something to CPU score, I imagine taking physics load off CPU and freeing it to do other stuff - but I don't know, not very techy minded. Anyhow as you say, if you have a piece of software that can take advantage of PhysX maybe you'll see a difference. If not....
Sorry I can't be more specific.

Simon:)

• Panos Vlassopoulos

A lot of people with SLI and 178.13 complained for a decrease of power and for some errors and they had to rollback in previous versions.
Let hope with 178.24 the problems are sorted out

• vmagics

I saw this in the highlights list:-
"Supports NVIDIA GeForce 3D Stereo Technology."
Does anybody know if there are any drivers (beta or otherwise) which would allow me to use those red/cyan 3d glasses (stereoscopic?) with my nvidia 8800GTX?
I know it'll probably be crap but I went to see Jaws 3D years ago with my nan and it was grrreat!

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

I have this problem during i play, a black screen appear during 1 seconde and when i type alt-tab, i see in the tray of window a black exclamation point on a yellow triangle and a popup message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." It seem it's a big problem that touch a lot of people but no one seem to have a solution. I have tried a lot of solution, like change drivers, underclock memory, processor .... but nothing fix it.

My config is:
AthlonX2 5000+
Zotac Nvidia 8800 gt 512
2 g DDR2 OCZ 6400
Asus M2N-E motherboard

Anyone has the same problem?

image016.png

i have a similar prob just the meassage that the driver gets recoverd dident show up for me
i have to reboot then
symptom: screen freez for several sec's and comes back up with wired colors
if i alt tab there is a pop up waiting telling me the NV display driver has stopped to work
befor the last patch i was able to just alt tab again and the game would be up and running fine
since the 1.1.1.20 patch screen will turne black and only way to get the pc running again is then a hard reset
down fall to this there will be never ever a mini dump :/

You're not alone, lots of people seem to experience this (I presume you're using Vista.) It seems there is not a single fix for all the problems. I used to get it up until about 6 months ago. I stopped using WHQL drivers and used stable beta drivers and never had a problem since.:madgrin: Other say to uninstall the driver, then use Driver Sweeper and finally search for the nvlddmkm.sys file and manually delete it before re-installing.

Hope you fellas find an answer soon, I know it's an annoying problem.

Simon.:)

i have done an uninstall with driver sweeper and reinstall the latest driver whql from nvidia, but the problem return! What's your driver Simon? (and your graphic card)

ps: yes i run vista 64, but some peolple said that the problem occur also on xp...

Currently using Forceware 180.42 beta on a GTX280 with Vista x64. Driver has some issues but 180.43 beta came out today so I'll try that soon.
Did use 178.24 WHQL for a while, only had one nvlddmkm.sys error that occurred when my RAM useage got high. As a I said previously, I don't seem to get that error using beta drivers.

Simon.:)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea