Nvidia Video Cards + Drivers

New WHQL Nvidia Geforce Drivers ver 178.13 available

Just spotted them a minute ago ... available as of today as official downloads from Nvidia.

About to test myself, but they sound good from what I read so far ...

Release Highlights:

WHQL-certified driver for GeForce 6-series, 7-series, 8-series, 9-series, and 200-series GPUs, including the newly released GeForce 9800 GTX+, 9800 GT, 9500 GT and 9400 GT GPUs.
Adds support for NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series and 200-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory (this driver package installs NVIDIA PhysX System Software v8.09.04).
Experience GPU PhysX acceleration in several full games and demos today by downloading the GeForce Power Pack.
Adds support for 2-way and 3-way NVIDIA SLI technology with GeForce GTX 200-series GPUs on Intel® D5400XS motherboards.
Supports single GPU and NVIDIA SLI™ technology on DirectX 9, DirectX 10, and OpenGL, including 3-way and Quad SLI technology.
Supports CUDA™.
Supports NVIDIA GeForce 3D Stereo Technology.
Supports Folding@home distributing computing application. Download the high performance client for NVIDIA GPUs here and join the NVIDIA team: #131015.
Supports GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring by installing NVIDIA System Tools software.
Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v178.13 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:
Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10
Includes numerous 3D application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.

*Note: Quad SLI technology with GeForce 9800 GX2, 3-way SLI technology, and Hybrid SLI technology are only supported on Windows Vista.

Direct Links:

Win XP x32 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.13_whql.html

Win XP x64 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_178.13_whql.html

Vista x32 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html

Vista x64 http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...8.13_whql.html

looks like these don't apply to Vista. Is there a Vista specific patch or is Media Center considered Vista? Thanks for the update though

EDIT: Would be nice if I read the WHOLE post. I finally noticed the Vista links...Sorry for the dumb question...

Just ran it on the mini Monaco server to test it for an hour or more and so far looks pretty sweet (more than my driving was :rolleyes:).

Can't say anything major seems to have changed, haven't benched them or anything, but with the 177.92's I was running, I did hit the occasional glitch ... am hoping they have been fixed with this official release, although past experience for me is that the non-WHQL drivers work better than their officially released brethren :lol:

The temp monitor works fine for me with this version, not tried anything else.

I installed, and it works ok for me

Oke tnx for the information m8.

Do you know the best configuration for NVIDIA 8800 GTS?

Do you think that is it ok if a put the configuration to max resolution?

• Michael Ketterer

what i do is * Never change a running system * haha means i already have the old drivers but it works well

[Central Topic] Nvidia Video Cards + Drivers

Chaps ... I believe I have this problem sussed for you ...

And its sooooo simple it hurts ... just turn off the power save option for your display(s) in Windows power options.

(Find it in the control panel, power schemes/power options ... set option to turn off display to --> NEVER!!)

I had this switched off as I suspected it was interfering and had no problems whatsoever.

After installing a new graphics card recently this option seems to have re-enabled itself (bloody windows!!).

Since then I have had the old black screen driver crash / screen freeze, sound still on and game still running in background ... then the screen recovers some seconds later, usually as I am in the gravel or wall :frusty:

I am now 95% certain about this being the cause of our issues, as I have suggested it to others and their problems have too disappeared!

Please try it, and try to remember to report back here so we can nail it once and for all, as its ruining many a good racer's day here at RD!

Maybe you are right Lee, i never had those bad freezes and i always turn this off, when i install a new OS i turn off screensavers and all power options, also in bios.

Maybe some here can test is and post their results here.

I hope so ... so many people are suffering this problem its not funny.
I think we had 2 or 3 last night ... and in my experience, add on tracks seem to suffer more than default Simbin ones, but why this should be I have not thought about too much ...

I usually use the Windows display power save option as I am always wandering off whilst doing stuff, and hope that in some tiny way it saves a bit of power and also historically was worried about burn in ...

Marcel ... would it be worth a sticky on this (or maybe wait until we have more conclusive results)?

I have never used the powersafe except my laptop.
On my laptop (Nvidia) it never crash, on my gamepc (power options turned off in bios/windows) it crashed.
I don't believe in NVidia's drivers anymore since the 8800 series.

Now with my Ati card, no crashes since then.

The funniest thing is when you run GTR Evo or Race, it says designed for NVIDIA lol.

I have had many issue with Race before when i had ATI but i more and more think ATI became better now, maybe my next card will be an ATI again.

• Matt Gray

An interesting idea though - I'm pretty sure I have this turned off, yet I still get freezes with my 8800 card... However, if what you're saying is right, it may be that after installing new drivers, it's re-enabled itself in Windows...

Desperate to get home and have a look at this now! Could solve my problems if it has re-enabled itself... :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back