Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti leak reveals a very powerful graphics card

I know what an NDA is, roughly what is in them and how they affect reviewers as I too follow the tech press. Also, I've never seen one of that guys reviews so don't know how impartial they are.

My point was that they have no competition in the sector, and that if they are releasing a gpu at twice the price of the one it replaces it must be awesome right? So why the need to go to such lengths? Often when hardware is good firms will leak benches through a side source to whet the public's appetite. Here Nvidia are doing the opposite.

It was recently reported that board partners had returned some 300,000 10 series gpu's to Nvidia due to the collapse of the cryptomining boom. Nvidia has since returned the parts to the board partners reminding them of their contractual obligations.

As I said in an earlier post, gamers have been waiting an awful long time for new gpu's. Both Nvidia and AMD have skipped at least a generation so we should expect that kind of performance jump. At twice the price of a 1080ti, if the 2080ti turns out as being, say, 45% faster in rasterization, then it's a no brainer. But if it turns out to be less than the 35-40% that Nvidia are touting, with all that old stock on the market, it could go quite wrong.

And this is why honest reviews and benches are so important. These are not cheap parts and while some reviewers tell it like it is, others only say bad things in a nice way, in fear of upsetting the sample suppliers. I'm sure OC3D on Y/T will get a review card...

The ambiguous cherry picked benchmarks Nvidia released a day after the general scepticism of their big presentation should rightly be received with another dose of doubt until the benchmark numbers are revealed in independent reviews. Those benchmarks will be authentic and will show consistency of performance. Whether it's followed by words praising or damning the GPU is something else, reviewers are writing from their own perspective. But at least the numbers can't lie, anybody can benchmark a GPU.

Press NDAs just create a level playing field, that's so every press outlet has no advantage over another. And yes it will be preferred websites/magazines/YouTubers getting review samples determined by; 1) The size of the audience the websites/magazines/YouTubers' has. 2) Nvidia will be hassled by thousands of people for a free card 'for review purposes', and they only have so many review samples to hand out. So indeed it's nothing sinister beyond logistics.

I worked for PC Format magazine for a number of years back before it closed, strictly speaking these contracts are embargo's as the restriction is lifted on a set date. Embargo's for hardware and game reviews we're just part of the dealing with the top tier game and hardware companies. These embargo's could even stretch to printing early details of a product far in advance of a release, right down to preview game screenshots from their PR.

assettocompetizione_1.jpg

So the green reflections on spoiler, mirrors and track are RTX or photoshop ?
Look at the depth the window lights have, looks great

assettocompetizione_1.jpg

So the green reflections on spoiler, mirrors and track are RTX or photoshop ?
Look at the depth the window lights have, looks great

I believe someone from Kunos stated that RTX features had not been used in any promotional vids/photos. Besides the first trailer came out long before RTX hardware would of been available.

Even with BF5 demonstration, some attendees were told that what was being shown was only from a few weeks worth of development with the RTX hardware and what will be in the final game will be better than what was demonstrated at Gamescom.

Devs need to learn how to best use or optimise it, we have not even been given any timeframe for ACC if it will be implemented into an upcoming build or only in the full release.

What we should expect is that ACC will push the visuals beyond other titles even without RTX. In my own view, if it is going to be the first racing title to support RT, then it has even greater visual prowess or potential to impress and bring more accurate realism/atmosphere. This title would be one that would encourage me to buy an RTX card while some others are not.

What Kunos have not said a peep about however is HDR and if or how it is being implemented to make the title look amazing on HDR supported monitors.

Last edited:
I believe someone from Kunos stated that RTX features had not been used in any promotional vids/photos. Besides the first trailer came out long before RTX hardware would of been available..

I don't quite understand mate ?

Whats this RTX ON/OFF compare in this clip then ? Renders ? Photoshop ?
Look @5:48
Okay say I accept it is not RTX, does it matter ?
Shouldn't I still expect the windscreen to have that level of effect you see in sim I buy ?

After all everyone has said how up front and honest Kunos have been ( not saying they aren't) ........ so surely they not going to promote video or things are bull dust ?

This is more then just pretty bonnets and puddles to me
I can't understand how people can't wrap their head around the other possibilities......other then reflections ;)

"Ray Tracing is a definitive solution for lifelike lighting, reflections and shadows"

Those are the effects will bring more to realism imo, not reflections so much

Like I said VR never happened over night

Last edited:
That demo linked above is showing RTX on and off.

The limitation without ray-tracing is that only items on screen can be reflected in other items....take the bit where they're showing the car reflected in the puddle. With RTX off, you'll see there is still a reflection, but only the part of the car that can be seen at the top of the screen. With RTX on, reflections are possible from items anywhere in the "world", regardless of whether they are currently on screen or not.

That's great for racing I think, as the effects of car headlights from behind you should be greatly more realistic than with current tech.

I can't wait to see what ACC does over time with the ray-tracing technology, could persuade me to buy the 2080ti sometime down the line.

That demo linked above is showing RTX on and off.

The limitation without ray-tracing is that only items on screen can be reflected in other items....take the bit where they're showing the car reflected in the puddle. With RTX off, you'll see there is still a reflection, but only the part of the car that can be seen at the top of the screen. With RTX on, reflections are possible from items anywhere in the "world", regardless of whether they are currently on screen or not.

That's great for racing I think, as the effects of car headlights from behind you should be greatly more realistic than with current tech.

I can't wait to see what ACC does over time with the ray-tracing technology, could persuade me to buy the 2080ti sometime down the line.

If you bought a 2080ti on the basis of ACC having ray-tracing that's makes it quite the expensive game! Reflections are where I consider RTX really shines through, games already provide a good illusion of lighting without ray tracing so I'm not convinced that this tech is worth it yet. At least this first iteration, every demo showing RTX so far displays a staggering trade off for those visual enhancements into dire performance.

ACC's performance is quite bad right now, ray-tracing on top would be a slideshow. Sure optimisations may come along for both ACC and for the games supporting RTX, but 'may' isn't fact so we can only work with what we know.

If you bought a 2080ti on the basis of ACC having ray-tracing that's makes it quite the expensive game! Reflections are where I consider RTX really shines through, games already provide a good illusion of lighting without ray tracing so I'm not convinced that this tech is worth it yet. At least this first iteration, every demo showing RTX so far displays a staggering trade off for those visual enhancements into dire performance.

ACC's performance is quite bad right now, ray-tracing on top would be a slideshow. Sure optimisations may come along for both ACC and for the games supporting RTX, but 'may' isn't fact so we can only work with what we know.

Exactly, and no I won't be buying an RTX card purely on basis of ray-tracing, but I am eagerly awaiting the benchmarking results compared to a 1080ti. I would buy if it offers a serious performance bump to triple-monitor config. + ray-tracing as a bonus.

Come to Papa ! lol

RTX 2080 is same price as 1080Ti here, doesn't matter what it is in USA or anywhere else
.....and it's slightly faster and RTX/DLSS

No brainer for mine

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL04vNzk3OTI3L29yaWdpbmFsL0ZvcnphLU1vdG9yc3BvcnQtNy1GUFMtMjU2MHgxNDQwLURYMTItNHgtTVNBQS1VbHRyYS5wbmc=

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL0UvNzk3OTE4L29yaWdpbmFsL0ZhcnktQ3J5LTUtRlBTLTI1NjB4MTQ0MC1EWDExLVVsdHJhLnBuZw==

Last edited:
If you bought a 2080ti on the basis of ACC having ray-tracing that's makes it quite the expensive game! Reflections are where I consider RTX really shines through, games already provide a good illusion of lighting without ray tracing so

But reflections is not the big thing ...............it's Lighting and shading, that is what will make
RTX games look super realistic not reflections, they are just eye candy

RTX you will be able to really hide in shadows in online shooters
You will see people sneak up behind you in a cracked mirror
Huge for gameplay ! not eye candy

With DLSS titles will be smoother nicer with way more FPS then TAA

Any sim uses DLSS will never ever have a jaggy white lines again no more jags popping up as you rotate models to various angles of the dangle

Seriously I would pay double for that

Older titles could be totally renewed to look better and run faster

Last edited:
f1-2018_2560-1440.png

Just to be clear about the 2 cards being the same price.........
I ordered RTX 2080 Founders for $1,199 ...don't get it till next month ( 2nd run )
At my shop the decent GTX 1080Ti's are still also $1,199

Ridiculous, Gigabyte RTX 2080 is $200 dearer then Founders for barely any gains of note

To be fair aftermarket Ti will be line ball performance with RTX 2080 Founders maybe even a few fps faster in some titles
That is where I drew my personal line a month ago
Same price same performance, advantage is free RTX/DLSS

So if you already own a GTX 1080Ti I can't see the value in 2000 series at all

To be fair aftermarket Ti will be line ball performance with RTX 2080 Founders maybe even a few fps faster in some titles
That is where I drew my personal line a month ago
Same price same performance, advantage is free RTX/DLSS

So if you already own a GTX 1080Ti I can't see the value in 2000 series at all

Yep.
The thing is, Nvidia RTX 2080 hasn't got much value for those with GTX1080Ti, just like the RTX2070 hasn't for those with GTX1080 and VEGA64.
And that's the problem with these RTX series, they start to make less and less sense for those that have waited to get a high-end GPU at their performances. You see, the soon to be "old" models are valid alternatives, available now and in next months.

The GTX2080Ti is a discussion apart - all I see is "this should have been in TITAN series instead". It's beyond everything, hyper performance but at stupid outrageously high prices.
I won't even consider it in this "equation".

As for the other two RTX models, considering this:
  • RTX2080 vs GTX1080Ti - very similar performance (they trade blows, depends on game)
    But the prices are not exactly very similar:
    RTX2080 = 800.00~900.00 Euros (and won't decrease unless AMD launches competitor)
    GTX1080Ti = 600.00~700.00 Euros (and will decrease over 100.00 Euros in coming months!)
  • RTX2070 ≃ GTX1080 < VEGA64 - comparable performance (VEGA64 maybe slightly faster)
    The prices are somewhat comparable now, but won't be soon:
    - RTX2070 = 600.00~700.00 Euros (expected price, won't decrease unless AMD launches competitor)
    - GTX1080 = 500.00~600.00 Euros (and will decrease over 100.00 Euros in coming months!)
    - VEGA64 = 550~650.00 Euros (and will decrease over 100.00 Euros in coming weeks?!)

...why should one get an RTX2080 or RTX2070 is beyond me(?). I don't get it, really.
...getting it for a number of games featuring ray tracing and DLSS, which are not out yet, and those expected can be counted with the fingers of one hand?
...and for which these effects combined will likely be usable only at 1080P?

Maybe it's cool to be an early adopter, riding on a promise of something that noone is really sure about general adoption yet (I guess?).

I mean, think about it.... with only three GPUs featuring this (RTX2070, RTX2080 and RTX2080Ti), as the 2060 - and below- is already expected to NOT be part of this family (these should still be "GTX"), and with AMD locked out of these tech solutions, I can't see game developers wasting considerable resources and time, on such features that only a very tiny niche (among the wealthiest PC gamers) will look at, and on PC, when consoles take the biggest slice of attention.

Maybe it's at this point that AMD can take this as a reason to push their Firerays2.0, which is not just equivalent to Nvidias RayTracing, but it's actually open source(!). Can't really see any other way to have stuff like this justified and evolve, to be widely adopted (to consoles inclusively).

Considering the stock excess still existent for GTX1070, GTX1070Ti, GTX1080, GTX1080Ti, VEGA56 and VEGA64, and with prices for all these coming down (considerably so) sometime soon, I know where I'd be looking at if looking at a new GPU in next months...

Last edited:
Sure, but high-end GTXs (and AMD Vega) will have decreased prices, RTXs won't. ;)
If they have direct comparable performance, for me it's a no-brainer.

The market isn't so saturated that will allow exploits in the same order that occured as with mining a year ago (and thankfully that sh!t is over - blessed is the god-of-gaming!).

What I'm dying to see now is the response from AMD early next year.
All they have to do are GPUs to compete directly with the RTX2080 and RTX2070 performances, but at much lower prices, to dominate the respective segments. Then Nvidia will be forced to stop these stupid prices and bring them down quite a bit.

Last edited:
\

What I said for months it is just one big ugly texture, real time lighting/shadows could be game changer for mine.
Still excited for DLSS, really hope Kunos use it in next sim, others would have to follow suite
or be left behind with nasty slow TAA

But reflections is not the big thing ...............it's Lighting and shading, that is what will make
RTX games look super realistic not reflections, they are just eye candy

RTX you will be able to really hide in shadows in online shooters
You will see people sneak up behind you in a cracked mirror
Huge for gameplay ! not eye candy

With DLSS titles will be smoother nicer with way more FPS then TAA

Any sim uses DLSS will never ever have a jaggy white lines again no more jags popping up as you rotate models to various angles of the dangle

Seriously I would pay double for that

Older titles could be totally renewed to look better and run faster

The problem is you are buying into all this on the hope raytracing tech will deliver all this without any negative performance impact, when it really looks like raytracing in this first iteration is too much for the rest of the card to handle fully. I'm assuming RTX raytracing in games will have low to ultra settings to offset a lot of this, but well have to see. It reminds me of when Crysis came out and was simply too much for any current GPU of the time handle the highest settings, and we had to wait for the hardware to play catch up.

DLSS is a very interesting, but the likely-hood of older titles adding this is next to zero and only the 2070 to 2080ti cards will have this. Looking at the latest Steam GPU survey, 1070 to 1080ti users amounts to 7% of the total. So that's what it managed too now from launch. So in two and a bit years time that's the best we can hope for the 20 series too. So will game developer takes this minority number seriously?

It will also depend on some factors, how easy is it to implement, it may not work on all graphics engines without too much work for the developer to bother on current in-development titles, and if developers think it will sell their game by offering this support. Also any AMD sponsored titles will certainly exclude all RTX features right off the bat.

I understand you've pre-ordered and understandably hyped to get your card, I'm not with you on the enthusiasm. You will receive your card and have absolutely no games you can play that have raytracing or DLSS. Buying on the back of potential, is the same as speculation. I'll reserve my judgement for proof when we can see both these technologies used in games.

I've already decided to skip the 20 series and have my sights on the next Nvidia card lineup of upgrade from my 1080ti which will be enough time to see if this propitiatory tech is actually meaningful.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.