Normal/Boring Car sims?

Apologies if this subject has been exhausted at this point (I’m new here), is there a sim out there that allows you to drive everyday basic cars (aka sentras/Corollas/mini vans/etc)?
I know they exist to some extent in the gta games but I’m looking for a less arcade-y experience and more for some pure escapism that I can relate to (as I’ve never driven a real Ferrari before). Also want to be able to use my whole setup (pedals, wheel, etc)

You might think “just get in a real car and drive around” and you’d be right; except I don’t really want to get arrested for driving like the maniac I want to be. Also it might be novel to experience Silverstone in something ridiculously basic like an Astro.

Anyone ever seen something like that?

I think Beam NG is probably the best bet for normal cars and vans. Though that doesn't have race tracks. Assetto Corsa (the original, not Competizione) has quite a few more normal cars, and supports mods so there are probably more you can download. Automobilista 2 has a few road cars too, plus a lot of older and lower class racing cars and some cool South American tracks, as well as the usual US and European tracks.

I think Beam NG is probably the best bet for normal cars and vans. Though that doesn't have race tracks. Assetto Corsa (the original, not Competizione) has quite a few more normal cars, and supports mods so there are probably more you can download. Automobilista 2 has a few road cars too, plus a lot of older and lower class racing cars and some cool South American tracks, as well as the usual US and European tracks.
I’ve seen beamng and kind of played around with it but I think I got distracted by ACC. I didn’t realize automobilista 2 has got some road cars in it. I’ll have to check that one out as well! Thanks!
I feel like a bit of a dweeb looking for a road car experience on a racetrack but I’m a simple person and I enjoy simple things.
I have to admit, I’m on a nostalgia trip as I just sold my old Sentra and I miss the way it drove.

I’ve seen beamng and kind of played around with it but I think I got distracted by ACC. I didn’t realize automobilista 2 has got some road cars in it. I’ll have to check that one out as well! Thanks!
I feel like a bit of a dweeb looking for a road car experience on a racetrack but I’m a simple person and I enjoy simple things.
I have to admit, I’m on a nostalgia trip as I just sold my old Sentra and I miss the way it drove.
Definitely not a dweeb! I'm the same, I find driving/racing slightly slower cars is much more fun than F1 cars. Definitely check out AMS2, some people don't like it but I absolutely love it.

Definitely not a dweeb! I'm the same, I find driving/racing slightly slower cars is much more fun than F1 cars. Definitely check out AMS2, some people don't like it but I absolutely love it.
Yes, thanks!!
**edited to add: racing slower cars, I think, is more attainable for most people. I love to scream around a track in a Porsche but I’ve got no expertise in that. I have to trust the devs that their specs are correct for those cars. But give me a commercial grade Nissan— now that’s something I can comment on the realism about. “Frontiers don’t drive like that in the snow!!!”

Last edited:
Do you know this? [I haven't tried it myself]

Do you know this? [I haven't tried it myself]
I’ve never heard of that one before. Looks like kind of mixed reviews? Wishlisted. Might check it out if it goes on sale.

It's a shame, you've just missed Assetto Corsa on sale for a couple of £/$. It sounds like just the thing you are looking for. It has some decent default content, but if you are ok with adding mods you can find pretty much anything you want.

Such as:

And:

Modders have done amazing things for AC, just have a look at what's available in the AC download section here at RD.
And if you take the plunge, be sure to ask in the AC forum about Custom Shader Patch. It is a must have!

It's a shame, you've just missed Assetto Corsa on sale for a couple of £/$. It sounds like just the thing you are looking for. It has some decent default content, but if you are ok with adding mods you can find pretty much anything you want.

Such as:

And:

Modders have done amazing things for AC, just have a look at what's available in the AC download section here at RD.
And if you take the plunge, be sure to ask in the AC forum about Custom Shader Patch. It is a must have!
I do have AC! I had abandoned it due to also owning ACC. If AC has got normal cars, I will definitely check them out. Don’t get me wrong, I’m learning an appreciation for the 488 but if you’re telling me I can access mods with “ridiculous” cars like sentras, I’m there in a heartbeat.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.