Nordschleife - laserscanned?

Just stumbled upon this, thought you would find it interesting:
http://www.ipm.fraunhofer.de/de/pre...award-fuer-neue-laserscanner-technologie.html
(in google chrome, right click -> translate to english)

:thumbsup:
It is really interesting, actually. Did any of you see this kind of setup before?

It's also mentioned the use of an infra-red laser, I assume dispersion/reflectivity will not affect it greatly - how fast can work proceed with it?

Knut Omdal Tveito said:
Yeah there's quite a few images with really detailed point clouds (not just iRacing to be fair) which kinda suggest this is what you're driving on, but it's just raw data that has to be processed into a much coarser mesh.

Hmm, I know that, it's the method used to work from that raw data that makes all the difference - but then, how reliable can those interpolations be? Well, the methods I mentioned earlier have been used in hip-reconstruction imagery, so I'd expect a fairly high degree of accuracy.

That is truly impressive. I believe the day where you will be able to scan a road and plug it straight into a sim is not far away. Definitely with in the next ten years. Imagine if google did that in conjunction with street view. Probably will happen... Google Drive anyone?

Plugging it straight into a sim is probably a while off yet :D

Points > polygons isn't so elegant right now. You can automate stuff but the quality is still poor. Ie, grass and trees don't come out like grass or trees, they come out like noise generally.

I'm surprised there was so much drift by the end though, surely the registering could be better!?

Photogrammetry will go further than depth mapping in the long run, especially when the depth mapping kit (Kinect) is so limited.
Iirc MS bought up the patents so no one else can use the depth map technology which kinda set a lot of other things back and people stopped pursuing uses for the depth mapping capture.

The best thing they did was leave it open to tinker with which shows glimpses of the potential but no one appears to be making equivalent high end hardware (patent related?!)

Ok I am kind of freaking out right now. I just saw this screenshot over at VVV . It shows the asseto corsa loading screen and it shows Nordschleife track!!!! Check it out!

02-3.jpg

Found here... first post of the thread.
http://www.teamvvv.com/en/forum/view_topic/Automotive-Discussion/18

Aris told me that was just a placeholder and that they have tried to get a contract for the Ring and would love to do it but with the crazy financial situation the ring is in there is nobody to sign a contract with.

We can still wish for a laser scanned Nords but it's not there according to @Aristotelis
They have the same licence problem as Simbin. That's the punishment for being a good boy.

Thats a pretty interesting screenshot. Aris spoke to Mike about this about 3-4 weeks ago from what Mike told me. Alot can change between now and then.

As I have said in the past Laser Scanned isnt a deal breaker for me, accurate would work more than fine. Look at the job VirtualLM has done with Sebring for example.

I care more about the car and tire physics.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.