Nogripracing.com gone?

I've been taking another look at the way RD does it and it's not bad. I wish there were sub-categories in the ones I'm interested in (older titles)
Maybe if there's enough uploaded that might be an option.
I would think the main problem is getting the modders permission to upload stuff.

Maybe if there's enough uploaded that might be an option.
This exact same thing I told him already. We aren't going to add 24 subcategories if nobody uploads files. We reindex afterwards when a game becomes popular.

Assetto Corsa started with a single category as well, so did the F1 series and both are the biggest resources on the web.

Don't know why RaceDepartent are seen as some new kid on the block here as we have been online since 2006 with the exception of two days :) After motorsport.com we are the largest motorsport website in the world, we don't disappear, forums and files are properly backed up every day on a remote server etc etc. and tech is run by the best tech admin, @Dave Stephenson, we can wish for.

This exact same thing I told him already. We aren't going to add 24 subcategories if nobody uploads files. We reindex afterwards when a game becomes popular.

Assetto Corsa started with a single category as well, so did the F1 series and both are the biggest resources on the web.

Don't know why RaceDepartent are seen as some new kid on the block here as we have been online since 2006 with the exception of two days :) After motorsport.com we are the largest motorsport website in the world, we don't disappear, forums and files are properly backed up every day on a remote server etc etc. and tech is run by the best tech admin, @Dave Stephenson, we can wish for.
If I'm allowed the suggestion/feedback, I think you should not wait to create the categories and sub-categories, as therein lies your mistake as well.
IMHO, there should be some categories present for any title that can be modded. If there are no files there, doesn't mean there can't be later. Patience is a virtue.

In RD, if we need to filter mods, we have these options:
7s02o7D.jpg

That may be OK if you have one single page of content, but now realize this regular scenario....

....if I was looking into MotoGP2017, I'd see over 5 pages of mod content.
....if I was looking into GRID Autosport, I'd see over 8 pages of mod content.
....if I was looking into DiRT-Rally mods, I'd see over 30 pages(!) of mod content.

And it's same thing for plenty other games you have hosted files in here.

If I get a new game and found that it has mod content, I like to "shop around" looking for mods, propperly. I find that part of the pleasant experience of modding.
Having some games with mods piled and all jumbled together at random can certainly put me off, then making me look elsewhere.

Next, imagine you're a modder.
Instead of uploading and knowing your file will be announced, categorized and exposed in a proper shelf for the content, you already know it's going to be thrown there into the pile.
And that's why people have had concerns in regard to uploading here, and why usually prefer uploading to other hubs.

Speaking for myself, l do favour places which function as libraries for mod content, both for uploading and available content research (much nicer experience, as modder and as user).

As it is here in RD, I honestly find it a bit lacking, not to mention a sense (wrong or not) that there is bias towards certain game titles.
For example, in contrast, you have categorized mod sections for other games (AC, RF2, AMS, Codies' F1 series, etc), when it should be like that for every single game. But, right now, it isn't.

Taking example of what is practiced for GTR2 in other websites, I'd say something like this is expected to be found for any moddable racing game:

• VEHICLES
    (depending on content, can be further separated into "new addon cars", "skins", etc)
  • TRACKS
    (depending on content, can be further separated into "new addon tracks", texture updates for original tracks, etc)
  • MISC
    (anything not fitting to other categories, such as Soundpacks, UI mods, etc. Maybe even a sub-category for Setups)
  • UTILITIES
    (Modding tools and other game related tools)
  • UPDATES
    (Official Patches, No-CDs, etc)
And it's not just sim-racing.
For example, if I go to Armaholic to search mods for Arma3 (and previous games in the series), every new mod is presented and showcased, and all downloads are categorized correctly.
That's part of the marvellous experience of modding (with Arma3 in this example), and why it hooks so many people, why it became so huge. Many users later will be modders, and it all works continuously in a loop.

To finalize, I think the forum sections have same problem here.
I'll pick GTR2 and GTL for this next example. RD has been around since 2006 (same age as GTR2) but neither of the two games' userbase ever grown here because things have been far too generalized in RD. Those games were far too big to be filled with one single section for a forum and one single section for downloads.
When so many other hubs before had sectioned downloads and forums per game (the right thing to do, IMHO), I'm not surprised people looked at RD as "some new kid on the block", or a more generic second choice.

Anyways, just throwing my two cents.
NoGrip has had its downsides, but mods categorization wasn't one of them. Maybe RD can learn from that and make a true library for mods? :)

Last edited:
There must be a way to get all mods from NoGrip and get in touch with authors so that we can upload mods on here. if not all than atleast GT Legends mods, cars and tracks from no grip and make a subcategories AND MAYBE if we can GTR2 mods and cars from NoGrip. It would be really sad to see all those cars, tracks and mods to be deleted. :( I really wish there's a way to get them back and upload them here... :(:cry:

Last edited:
I know that but there has to be a way to transfere them on here.
I think the best we're going to manage at this time is to upload what content we have left on our HD's with a notice for authors to let us know if they don't want to be hosted here.
Work out what we have, tracks, cars which game and post a list in a created thread to avoid duplication.
Let me make it plain that I am not speaking as a staff member here, and RD may not allow this but I'm sure Bram Hengeveld will let us know.

Our terms of service isn't going to change only because nogrip or other sites go offline, that's all what I can say about it.

When rightsholders make a copyright or DMCA claim because our users aren't following the rules they've agreed to when signing up for RD we must comply and remove the files. The uploader is responsible for the content he or she shares with the world.

Since the demise of RSC NoGrip became arguably the best "one stop shop" for race sim info and files, but their draconian rules and regulations, and somewhat arbitrary enforcement of them, deterred many people. They have more banned members than any five other sites of my acquaintance (I'm surprised I'm not one of them).

I think I was banned from NoGrip for either mentioning another site (F1Classic) or linking to another site.

Here's how the story went.

It started when I was banned from F1Classic just for asking for help. I then went to NoGrip racing to post an apology (there is/was no shortage of users who use both F1 classic and NGR). Then some mod came along and said: "You break our rules to apologise for breaking another's" or something like that, and then he banned me for the reason of "Twat".

As jgf said, NGR's mods (and probably F1Classics) are quite draconian.

Strangely it are always people that are banned from sites having issues with moderators and rules.

I have been a member of many forums in the last 22 years and I can't recall I ever got banned or even got a warning for breaking the rules. It's really not that hard to stay on board if you really want to: just don't break their rules.

The only site or mod team that I know of that doesn't have links on their web site/FaceBook page is Brickyard Legends, every other one that I can find has links on their site/Facebook page or other sites like Drive Italia.

Honestly I'm thinking the biggest problem with No Grip being gone is it's ease of navigation and it's native langue, other then the Brickyard mods everything else is out there and relatively easy to find if you do a search.

So Where can I find good GTL and GTR2 mods after the loss of NoGripRacing? (And Yeah I come was a silence member of NoGripRacing, most of the time only looking for mods)

As a paying member on NoGrip, I am a little purturbed that it's just suddenly gone...with our money. That's frustrating. I mean it's not the end of the world I think it was $25/year or something. Still.

I was paying out $15/month to NG.Good thing over the years I burned about 100 GB of files.

Much as I like freebies how viable is it in the long run to maintain a viable server for
downloads and forums? For non-paying users NG had daily limits for downloads and unlimited access to the forums .In my opinion we may have to start paying for the privilege.

So Where can I find good GTL and GTR2 mods after the loss of NoGripRacing? (And Yeah I come was a silence member of NoGripRacing, most of the time only looking for mods)
For instance: ftp://87.229.14.12/hsw/ - I can't insert an ftp link, just copy it in your browser's address bar and hit enter. It's not NG level but I think it's a nice collection

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%